Xpressmail and SMS messages from 1111302000?

Scholar

Xpressmail and SMS messages from 1111302000?

Good morning all.  I've had my Treo 650 for maybe 2 weeks now.  I am on the Media Max 200 which I was told came with free Xpressmail.  I turned that bad boy on and have been getting all my company email on my phone, pretty neat. 

Yesterday I took my sim card out and put it back in my SLVR to go somewhere where I didn't want to lug the Treo.  Throughout the evening and this morning I would receive some jibberish SMS every 5 to 60 minutes from 1111302000.  It begins with //SV and ends with //VS.  I evenutally figured out that this might be coming from Xpressmail. 

I logged into the website interface to Xpressmail and the SMS Alerts was already set to "All SMS Alerts Off".  I also deleted my phone from the device list.  Were these SMS messages coming coming Xpressmail, and if they were why since I have the SMS Alerts set to off?

When Cingular says Xpressmail is free, do they mean that signing up is free along with receiving tons of these SMS messages?  Or are they nickling me to death with them?  I get 200 SMS a month but I suspect I have already far exceeded that if they are not free.

If these messages are coming from Xpressmail, is there any way to turn the SMS Messages off?  Even if that means I no longer get a "push" email interface, I could still connect manually and receive my email.  That is actually what I wanted to do from the beginning, just let the treo connect up every 5 minutes and see whats out there.

Thanks for any info.
--C
Message 1 of 47 (21,291 Views)
Scholar

Re: Xpressmail and SMS messages from 1111302000?

I thought I would post a follow up on this, even though I just posted it a minute ago.  I connected in to the live Cingular chat.  The tech guy said that the message from 1111302000 beginning in //SV and ending in //VS is some spam from who knows where and not from Xpressmail. 

He told me two interesting things:
If I delete the SMS Message without opening and reading it that Cingular cannot charge me.  Doesnt sound true to me.
If I have my Xpressmail settings on "All SMS Alerts Off" that Xpressmail will never send a single SMS and that Cingluar cannot charge me.

I took a screen shot of the chat in case either of what he says is not true.

Message 2 of 47 (21,282 Views)
Master

pcm2a wrote:
I thought I would post a follow up on this, even though I just posted it a minute ago.  I connected in to the live Cingular chat.  The tech guy said that the message from 1111302000 beginning in //SV and ending in //VS is some spam from who knows where and not from Xpressmail. 

Unfortunately this is a problem with Cingular not having spam filters on thier SMS system.  For now, nothing can be done except to remove texting from your account.  (e.g.: you can't receive any text messages.)

He told me two interesting things:
If I delete the SMS Message without opening and reading it that Cingular cannot charge me.  Doesnt sound true to me.

AFAIK, all text sent or received is billable.  So, I'm with you that that doesn't sound right.

If I have my Xpressmail settings on "All SMS Alerts Off" that Xpressmail will never send a single SMS and that Cingluar cannot charge me.
It shouldn't send any SMS, but if it's still happening then somehow the setting didn't take on Xpressmail's end.  But from the previous, if you got sent an SMS, then you're charged.  But at least this is something that you could argue to have the charges removed.

I took a screen shot of the chat in case either of what he says is not true.

Message 3 of 47 (21,278 Views)
Scholar

I just called Cingular and asked them how many SMS messages I have used of my 200 and they told me 5.  That makes me think that all of these SMS garbage messages I have been getting are from Xpressmail and they are not charging me for them.

I'm going to do some tests later on today to see if I turn Xpressmail back on if the messages start coming again.

Message 4 of 47 (21,271 Views)
Scholar

So I have done some test on my lunch break.  The goon that told me the messages I was getting was spam or a virus was just terribly mistaken.  I re-enabled the Xpressmail to my treo and moved the sim card back to my SLVR.  Within minutes I got one of the encrypted messages and have been getting them every 5-30 minutes or so.  For the 8 hours or so that I deleted my phone from the xpressmail settings I did not receive a single sms.

From looking into it further it appears that Xpressmail uses sms to alert your device that you have mail waiting.  You get this sms alert whether you have the sms alerts on or off.  The good news is that it doesn't look like Cingular charges for those sms messages since it is the only way to get the simulated push.
Message 5 of 47 (21,265 Views)
Master

Well, at least you're not getting charged for the SMS.  Otherwise, I'm as lost as you are as to why the messages are coming .
Message 6 of 47 (21,260 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]
Well I assume that as long as my treo is set up online as an active phone Xpressmail will send out the periodic sms mail alert to tell my treo to connect.  These sms messages are coming even though I have the alerts set to off, but the alerts seem to just be for extra alerting and functionality and not for the basic fake push email service.

Now when I take my sim card out and put it in my SLVR, the Xpressmail is still trying to send those sms pushes out I suppose.

If none of the above is true then the spam guys are somehow targeting their spam with the exact times that I have xpressmail activated.  Hopefully I won't get a $250,000 bill.

Message Edited by pcm2a on 01-15-200703:14:34 PM

Message 7 of 47 (21,261 Views)
Voyager

I actually called Cingular concerning this.  We did the whole pulling out the SIM card and resetting the phone thing.  After this the representative sent me a test email, and it came in as an SMS message. 

I decided to delete my Xpressmail account from the phone and re-register it.  Upon doing this I discovered that there was an update for the Xpressmail application.  I downloaded the app to the phone, installed, setup my email account again, and everything was back to normal.  I never had to go to the Xpressmail PE to disable SMS messages or anything like that.  I also discovered that this update appears to have solved the problem with Xpressmail clearing the inbox after you read your mail.  Whatever you have set to the be the max amount downloaded is the amount that stays on your phone (I keep my most 50 recent).

Hope this helps.
Message 8 of 47 (21,229 Views)
Scholar

I suspect that Xpressmail PE is still sending you periodic SMS messages when you have new mail arrive to let you phone know to connect up over your data plan (media net or pda unlimited) and download your new mail.  Thats is how it seems to be working for my phone.  I was looking around and finding some posts where people with much newer phones could get true push technology on them with xpressmail.
Message 9 of 47 (21,215 Views)
Contributor

I have taken off and put back on Xpress Mail on my Nokia E62 and it has no effect.  I have received over 300 SMS alerts in 4 days.  Just tonight, I couldn't even log into the Xpress Mail website.

I have been on the phone with Cingular for 4 days now.  They pulled my Text Messaging feature and blocked it for messages and the message still keep coming.  It is ANNOYING!

The Xpress Mail feature is deleted from my laptop and handheld.  My SMS Alerts were NEVER turned on at the website....

I will tell you this much.... if this doesn't stop, I'm heading to my attorney's office.

Teriann
Message 10 of 47 (21,068 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]
OK, here's the real answer to the question.  It is NOT SPAM.

These are Cingular XPress mail push mail "SMS Triggers".
XPress mail push works by the xpress mail server sending a silent SMS (as described in the previous messages) that XPress mail intercepts.  That SMS message tells Xpress mail to "Go get/sync new email."
So new mail comes in.  Xpress mail server sees it.  Sends an SMS to the phone.  XPress Mail gets the SMS and goes and retrieves the mail.

When XPress mail is intalled on yoiur phone, it intercepts these special SMS messages so that they don't go to the messaging client.  So you normally would never see them.  They would be silent.
But the Orig. Poster took the SIM out and put it in another phone that doesn't have Xpress Mail.  Therefore Xpress Mail doesn't intercept the SMS and they end up in the normal SMS applicaiton.
The same thing would happen if you deleted Xpress mail from the PDA without turning push mail off first.

The way to fix this is to put the SIM back in to the PDA with XPress mail.  Go in to xpress mail settings, and turn off push email.  If it's already off, turn it back on, then turn it back off again.  See my post here fore details:
At that point you should stop getting these SMSs.
Normall if your email program doesn't go respond to the SMS push triggers, I htink the server is supposed to give up and stop eventually, but appearently it is not doing that.

I will note that YOU ARE NOT CHARGED FOR THESE SPECIAL SMS TRIGGER MESSAGES.  These are a funciton of the free Xpress mail server and you will not see charges on your bill (or any acknowledgment of getting them).  I've used xpress mail for 3 years and I'm very familiar with this feature.  Trust me.
So going to your Attourney's office won't help as there will be no charges to dispute.

Another thing you can do is go to http://xpressmailpe.cingular.com/ and log in to your xpress mail account.
Go to SETTINGS
Go to MY DEVICES and click EDIT
Delete your device from the list (delete all of them.)
I believe this should also work for halting all SMS trigger messages since you'll no longer have a device to send them to.

You can always go back in the future and re-register  your device from your phone and set this all back up again in the future.

I hope this clears up the "SPAM" conspiracy theory.

Message Edited by thively on 02-15-200710:51:50 PM

Message 11 of 47 (13,059 Views)
Guru

pcm2a wrote:
I suspect that Xpressmail PE is still sending you periodic SMS messages when you have new mail arrive to let you phone know to connect up over your data plan (media net or pda unlimited) and download your new mail.  Thats is how it seems to be working for my phone.  I was looking around and finding some posts where people with much newer phones could get true push technology on them with xpressmail.

When I look at the XPress mail logs on the Treo 650 (PalmOS) I see some status messages indicating that it appears to be in a true push state.  I think the way it should work is that it will try to push the mail to the device first, if that fails it then sends the SMS trigger as a backup.  But in the time I used the latest version with PalmOS it seemed like it always sent the SMS, so I'm not sure my theory is correct.
I'm now on a Treo 750 (WM5) and I never looked at the logs to see.  I know it ALWAYS gets the SMS for push notificaiton because it starts up the "Messaing" app (for text messages.)  Although you don't see them come through in messaing (as XPress mail intercepts them) it does start the app.  I can close the app down (Press and hold OK, select close) but every time I get a push message the app is running again.  It's a good indicator that the SMS triggers are going through.
Message 12 of 47 (13,051 Views)
Former Moderator

Is there any way we can get some feedback from some of the members on this thread with the issues? Did thively's workaround resolve your persistent SMS issue?
Message 13 of 47 (12,991 Views)
Contributor

I have had this same problem and just disabled push email as suggested.  I did not have this problem until I accidentally uninstalled xpress mail and then re-installed it.  I will see if this works and if not I will post another response.  Thanks to everyone who has fought with customer service, posted their discoveries, and provided suggestions!
Message 14 of 47 (12,741 Views)
Contributor

I am not a registered as of yet on the Xpress mail site, but I have tried to  change my push  text settings on/off to no avail. I too had xpress mail without any problems until it was deleted, then redownloaded. Thats when i began to receive the text messages repeatedly. In my case, the messages are from 302 0 not 1111302000, and I get an error msg when i try to open it, that says "unable to open, message format not supported". I have a Nokia E62, that I am almost ready to throw out of a 50 story window. I have also had problems with web access.  I receive an error msg that reads "web already in use"..
t.mcnair
Message 15 of 47 (12,379 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.