Xperia X10 - 2.1 Update is Great!

Mentor

Xperia X10 - 2.1 Update is Great!

[ Edited ]

I am on AT&T.  I had de-branded using Davinci way back when I first got the phone.  Last night I (USB) connected to the PC Companion software and was offered the update to 2.1

Phone is much more responsive, for example using the dial pad, there is no lag when tapping phone numbers.

Bob H

Message 1 of 60 (16,378 Views)
Contributor

Re: Xperia X10 - 2.1 Update is Great!

I want to thank you guys for posting this information.  I used the info posted here to upgrade to 2.1 today and it is awesome!!  It was just as easy as stated here (and I'm far from an expert in this stuff) and my phone is better and faster than ever now.  It's a completely different phone now.  It does not show 3g like it used to, it shows "H" (HSDPA) which is an even faster level of ATT's network!  I spent a total of about an hour downloading, configuring, etc. and I'm now 100% good to go.  Thank you sooo much!

If anyone has any questions about how I did it I'll be happy to elaborate.  There is no reason to wait and see if/when ATT will offer the upgrade, it's worth every penny of the $14 it costs to do it now.

Message 46 of 60 (2,195 Views)
Contributor

I concur, I was a bit skeptical but I did the update through davinci ( I am an AT&T customer in USA). It is the real deal and the transaction occurs through paypal. The initial update through davinci took 13 minutes, I then had to download seus (sony ericcson update service)(different from PCcompanion) It took two tries to do the update through seus but worked on the second try. The phone took a little while to start up and it was flashing a blue arrow with the camera icon, I was like oh no did it not work so I pushed the camera button ( which im not sure if it was made it boot) but it then booted. The phone is 100 times faster and so much more accurate with the touch screen. It is worth every bit of the 14 dollars because it is seriously like upgrading to a new phone. While we should'nt let AT&T off the hook, I wasn't about to wait months or years for them to, maybe offer the update.

** most importantly follow the instruction page on davinci, it is a little hard to find the update in the list but the one they list is there, make sure you choose the one they list and not the at&t one at the bottom or you will end up with the same os.

Message 47 of 60 (2,179 Views)
Contributor

Your experience sounds just like mine.  The little camera icon when booting up and everything.  It was a little difficult to find the update in the Davinci list because there are so many there, just have to make sure to be looking for the "customized gel" with the correct version number.  Agreed, carefully reading the instructions is vital.

My biggest worry was if I would be able to get it configured to work on 3g after the switch.  I had read of people having problems getting ATT's settings right so everything worked right with their network and 3g.  What a bonus to now get the "H" everywhere I used to get the 3g signal!  Are others here getting similar results now?

I'm on the AT&T network in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and this is my first "smart phone".  This phone replaced my SE K850i which I had been using almost exclusively for about 4 years.  It was time for something new... 

The thing I love about SE phones, at least the higher-tier ones, is the signal strength/transmitter and receiver.  I have owned several SE's, most unlocked and not loaded with all the AT&T stuff.  I've evaluated many phones over the years too and there's just nothing that works like an SE.  Up at the lake, out in the woods, in the basement or a walk-in freezer, anywhere in the world, they just work when other phones dont!

Message 48 of 60 (2,097 Views)
Contributor

Just did it!!! It's like having a brand new phone!!! Took less than 30 minutes.

Message 49 of 60 (1,615 Views)
Scholar

No need to pay Davinci. xda developers has a FREE flashtool that couldn't be easier to use.

Google "flashtool n00bies".  The xda forum has easy to follow instructions.  Doing this is easier than setting up email on your phone (your results may vary).  It took more time to download the new FW, than to flash my phone with the 2.1 install (I used the FW that ends in 504; the one that ends in 435 is the latest version).  Back up your APN's (free too in Android market) and contacts.  You then have to set up phone with email, contacts etc, but it's much faster.  In addition, I've had mine wifi connected for 2 days and still have 40% battery life.

Message 50 of 60 (1,552 Views)
Scholar

The H is 3G/HSDPA ,my C905a and Z750a say that. It is SUPPOSED TO BE 3G+. I would love to root my phone,but keep some of the at&t apps. How can I back up apps,then reinstall? A novice to all this techy stuff.
Message 51 of 60 (1,938 Views)
Contributor

wow it seems that im the only one having problems flashing my phone through davinciteam. first of all, the directions given were so unspecific that i thought the process was pretty straight forward. Then i find out that i downloaded the wrong firmware. At first i couldnt find the firmware and downloaded the one i though was closest to the listed one in the tutorial. then i unchecked the finalization box and finally found it. so i had to spend another 15 bucks for 10 more credits to download the firmware. next thing you know, SEUS says my phone is up to date....still. so i try the whole process on another computer and still no update is available. any help, advice, or suggestion would be great because davinciteam's customer service isn't helping a whole lot and theyre not being too specific either.

Message 52 of 60 (1,890 Views)
Contributor

Turn your phone off then back on then connect to seus.
Message 53 of 60 (1,852 Views)

[ Edited ]

AT&T is simply a fraud.  At the beginning of Oct 2010 they were still advertising the X10 as having "advanced" android operating system, despite it really having the already obsolete version 1.6.  Now users in Canada, Europe, South America, and Africa have android 2.1 which Sony upgraded for free. Since AT&T can't make any money from the upgrade (and cares nothing for its customers) it is "testing" the upgrade and obviously intends to "test" it into extinction.  Meanwhile users of the Sony X10 who are blessed by not having AT&T will be getting an update to Gingerbread (version 2.3.3) by the end of the year. This is my last contract with AT&T.  Is it a surprise that AT&T throws its shareholder money into buying its competitors, since its terrible customer service prevents them from truly competing.  Every AT&T X10 user should write his or her Congressperson to block the takeover over of T-Mobile by AT&T.  It will just lower the standard of cellular service in this nation.  Every AT&T customer who feels that they have received bad service should write.  AT&T will never stop treating their customers with disdain until they are forced to.

Message 54 of 60 (1,645 Views)

Ok.... My stupid xperia x10 has developed problems. I have a warranty replacement coming from AT&T. How can I re-brand the phone with the ancient 1.6 AT&T software and all it's ilk so they don't tell me THAT'S why it broke? I hacked it months ago. It's really a hardware problem. I used da Vinci team. Do they have a easy way to get it back to AT&T? Thanks
Message 55 of 60 (1,506 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

I've followed this guy's youtube video to get my x10 debranded and running 2.1.1.  This link is from him on how to revert back to 1.6.  Assuming this doesn't blocked, its from youtube and look for x10 bluechipj. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/BluechipJ#p/u/42/T5o5SaL-Gno

Good luck

Message 56 of 60 (1,446 Views)

Xdadevelopers is free also and as I have used their custom aosp roms for months now they also provide a contribution button where I pitched them a 20 cuz it works so good!
Message 57 of 60 (1,173 Views)

So worth it. Huge fix and I get a number sent for claiming on taxes lol
Message 58 of 60 (1,172 Views)

so how come some people are saying that they have to pay $5.00 to de-brand it, and other people are saying that its $14.00 to de-brand it? if I do it for free, will it be different (worse) than the people who paid money to get it done?
Sorry I'm new to all this stuff.
Message 59 of 60 (943 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Hector Zeroni wrote:
so how come some people are saying that they have to pay $5.00 to de-brand it, and other people are saying that its $14.00 to de-brand it? if I do it for free, will it be different (worse) than the people who paid money to get it done?
Sorry I'm new to all this stuff.

I believe it is $14 to debrand with DaVinci Team and $5 to debrand with Omnius (?).  They are both third party paid providers - and if you don't consider yourself to be technically savvy, it's the way I would choose to go.  At least you have some paid support behind you should you run into problems that you don't know how to resolve.  AFAIK, you will end up at the same place in the end no matter which debranding method you use - it's just a matter of personal preference.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 60 of 60 (928 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.