Posted Mar 2, 2008
8:10:42 PM
View profile
Xanthos Linux and XP
I recently purchased an ASUS Eee laptop and am now considering an USB Air card.  I really need to get some info based on my situation as to whether to go this route.

Info, I live in an area without DSL service - probably years before that happens!   So, in looking at various options to get away from dial-up - I am looking at satellite, cellular, or wi-fi. Right now it seems that celluar may be the best option, faster then dialup , frees a land line, and potentially can be used on my laptop and desktop.  Now, my question that I need answered before making the plunge!
My laptop is an  ASUS Eee, (does not have a PC card slot), so I guess the USB Card is what I need.  Will the 881 work with the Xanthos Linux OS?  And will I be able to use it on my Dell, XP desktop at home as well?

Xanthos Linux and XP

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2008 9:44:01 AM
(0)
Mentor
sludge,

Sierra does provide a driver for Linux, albeit with a couple of caveats. There's no GUI / Connection Manager, and the driver is unsupported (although open source and submitted to the kernel).

coreyinoz

Re: Xanthos Linux and XP

2 of 6 (4,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2008 3:42:06 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thank-you coreyinoz!  went to the link and printed the info!  Hopefully, I can get the ball rolling on this!

3 of 6 (4,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2008 7:43:58 AM
(0)
Guru
I tried to get my 860 AirCard working in Xandros but was unsuccessful (I think you meant Xandros - not Xanthos).

I was successful in getting my 860 AirCard working in Mandriva 2007.1. See the following thread.

http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=65199

There are a couple of threads in the Xandros forums where someone was able to get their AirCard working. You can try a search over there.

http://forums.xandros.com/

4 of 6 (4,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2008 6:04:53 PM
(0)
Teacher
Your gonna have a hard time getting it up and running... if anything you might have to extract the drivers from a windows pc... and then what you can try and do is using it in linux... majority of the time it works... you might need ndiswrapper... and if anything you might need to reopen the driver files themself and rewrite themm... thats gonna be a stretch...

5 of 6 (3,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2008 7:03:44 PM
(0)
Contributor
One option I have is to install Windows XP on the ASUS Eee.  Maybe, I could handle that!

Thank-you all for responding!

6 of 6 (3,988 Views)