Wrong time displaying on iPhone

Tutor

Wrong time displaying on iPhone

I have an iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G. Both are incorrectly displaying the wrong time. Both phones have the date & time set to automatic. The time seems to be displaying 1 hour early. Right now it is 1:52am EST but the iPhone shows it's 12:52am EST. Weird.
Message 1 of 15
Mentor

Re: Wrong time displaying on iPhone

Daylight savings is probably turned off..
Message 2 of 15
Tutor

No.. When the time is set to automatic, AT&T automatically sets the appropriate time including daylight savings time. There is not a way to turn on/off daylight savings as far as I am aware of.
Message 3 of 15
Mentor

Oh just seen where you said it was set to automatic and come to think of it I don't even think the Iphone has a day light savings time option..Smiley Surprised
Message 4 of 15
Professor

Turn it off then turn it back on and see what happens. See if it has the right area you are in also when you turn it off. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.
Message 5 of 15
Guru

Go to Settings=> Mail, Contacts, Calendars=> Time Zone Support and make sure it's ON then tap on Time Zone and select your Location... Fixed 
Message 6 of 15
Tutor

I reset my phone, still no luck. I toggled airplane mode on and off (as well as enabling 3G on and off).

And in response to changing the time zone for Mail, Contacts, Calendar.. That has nothing to do with the cell network but yes, tried that and that did not work.

Maybe it's a local problem if no one else is having this issue. I'm in Indiana.
Message 7 of 15
Master

When set to automatic the phone its pulling the time from the tower when the phone connects to the network.  The time is set wrong on the tower.  There is nothing to change on your phone.  If the tower is wrong you will have to manually set it if you need the right time.  You can call and report customer service and report that the tower time in your area os off to have someone check it out.
Message 8 of 15
Tutor

Thanks! That's what I suspected. I'll call tomorrow morning if it's not resolved.
Message 9 of 15
Master

ipk316 wrote:
Go to Settings=> Mail, Contacts, Calendars=> Time Zone Support and make sure it's ON then tap on Time Zone and select your Location... Fixed 

Unfortunately that is not related.  That feature corrects your calendar appointment when moving between timezones.

When Time Zone Support is on, Calendar displays event dates and times in the time
zone of the city you selected. When Time Zone Support is off, Calendar displays events
in the time zone of your current location as determined by the network time.

Message 10 of 15
Contributor

Its a problem with the ATT towers. I am in Indiana and have the same problem with my iPhone. I talked to other ATT customers at work and they are having the same problem.

Message 11 of 15
Tutor

http://itnotices.iu.edu/notice.aspx?id=13202

the univesity has now posted an alert on their website.
Message 12 of 15
Contributor

I agree with Planet-Ed...it is a local tower problem.  I tried all the above and none it worked, so I called customer support to report the problem.  They said they are getting calls on this same problem.  It has happened everytime we change time zones in Indiana since I've owned my phone.  Typically it will resolve in several days, but it is an annoyance.

Message 13 of 15
Contributor

Try this.  Setting, general, network, turn 3G off, wait, Time should change, turn 3G on, wait, time should change back.  If so its a tower issue.

Message 14 of 15
Teacher

This thread was started in July 2009.  I assume the original poster fixed his problem by now.
Message 15 of 15
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support