Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 2, 2010
4:04:21 AM
Would you recommend me the Captivate?

Hello Everyone:

I'm writing because i have the iphone 3gs (and love it) but since i cannot get the iphone 4 i'm starting to think to make the switch to the captivate....

Would anyone recommend me the Captivate? and if the answer is yes, why?

Thanks in advance

Hello Everyone:

I'm writing because i have the iphone 3gs (and love it) but since i cannot get the iphone 4 i'm starting to think to make the switch to the captivate....

Thanks in advance

Would you recommend me the Captivate?

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2010 7:55:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

If you don't mind feeling like you're in handcuffs when you want to do some things, then sure, get it!  It's an awesome piece of hardware.  Unfortunately, it's so "locked down" you can't do some simple things like remove certain apps or delete some browser bookmarks.  Plus, the future of the aGPS is in a doubtful state; it works horribly now, and it's doubtful that the touted Samsung update will fix it well enough so that it works as well as the aGPS on the HTC Aria, for instance.

I have a Captivate now, and I still have 10 days or so to decide if I wanna keep it.  But anything from AT&T is gonna be "locked down" to a ridiculous extreme, so do I keep the Captivate, or get a lesser phone. (I've ruled out the Xperia X10 because the screen scratches too easily.  The Captivate has "Gorilla Glass" which is very tough.)

If you don't mind feeling like you're in handcuffs when you want to do some things, then sure, get it!  It's an awesome piece of hardware.  Unfortunately, it's so "locked down" you can't do some simple things like remove certain apps or delete some browser bookmarks.  Plus, the future of the aGPS is in a doubtful state; it works horribly now, and it's doubtful that the touted Samsung update will fix it well enough so that it works as well as the aGPS on the HTC Aria, for instance.

I have a Captivate now, and I still have 10 days or so to decide if I wanna keep it.  But anything from AT&T is gonna be "locked down" to a ridiculous extreme, so do I keep the Captivate, or get a lesser phone. (I've ruled out the Xperia X10 because the screen scratches too easily.  The Captivate has "Gorilla Glass" which is very tough.)

Re: Would you recommend me the Captivate?

2 of 15 (1,614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2010 8:15:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

I highly recommend the Captivate. With a little exploring, you can find the apps you're used to and load them on your phone and by-pass the AT&T bloatware. It's not a "locked down" phone - you can freely add and delete applications you find in Marketplace. Indeed you cannot remove the pre-installed AT&T apps, but I just go around them and ignore them and use one of many other options for similar functionality. Also, I have used the GPS on the Captivate several times and find it operates just fine if it can "see" the sky to get its bearings. One thing for sure, you do not have to pay for things that are not portable to other devices (vis-a-vis Apple). Plus, you can add your own extra memory device - which is impossible with the iPhone. My take on is that the Captivate is fast, bright and easy to use, if you're familiar with touch screen interfaces, you should definitely consider it.

I highly recommend the Captivate. With a little exploring, you can find the apps you're used to and load them on your phone and by-pass the AT&T bloatware. It's not a "locked down" phone - you can freely add and delete applications you find in Marketplace. Indeed you cannot remove the pre-installed AT&T apps, but I just go around them and ignore them and use one of many other options for similar functionality. Also, I have used the GPS on the Captivate several times and find it operates just fine if it can "see" the sky to get its bearings. One thing for sure, you do not have to pay for things that are not portable to other devices (vis-a-vis Apple). Plus, you can add your own extra memory device - which is impossible with the iPhone. My take on is that the Captivate is fast, bright and easy to use, if you're familiar with touch screen interfaces, you should definitely consider it.

3 of 15 (1,608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2010 10:18:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

I've never had an iphone, but I've recently gone through the HTC Aria, Ericsson Xperia, and the Captivate.  The HTC was a little laggy and had a small screen but the layout and functions were great.  The call volume on the Xperia was SO bad -- I could only hear in a somewhat quiet atmosphere and had the volume turned up all the way.   

I had the Captivate and the Xperia at the same time (had purchased Xperia at no-commitment and returned it today).  The Xperia power and volume buttons are better placed, I like the user interface better (I'm a huge ericsson fan), it has better reception, and it has an LED on the front that lights up / blinks when you have messages or the battery is low. 

The Captivate's screen is gorgeous!!  The Xperia got blurry when you touched it and made it difficult to see clearly.  The Captivate's is awesome.  Also, the call quality (volume and quality of sound) are SO much better than the Xperia. 

I had been using the Xperia for a couple of weeks and as soon as I went back to the Captivate and made one phone call, it was very easy to make the decision.

I've never had an iphone, but I've recently gone through the HTC Aria, Ericsson Xperia, and the Captivate.  The HTC was a little laggy and had a small screen but the layout and functions were great.  The call volume on the Xperia was SO bad -- I could only hear in a somewhat quiet atmosphere and had the volume turned up all the way.   

I had the Captivate and the Xperia at the same time (had purchased Xperia at no-commitment and returned it today).  The Xperia power and volume buttons are better placed, I like the user interface better (I'm a huge ericsson fan), it has better reception, and it has an LED on the front that lights up / blinks when you have messages or the battery is low. 

The Captivate's screen is gorgeous!!  The Xperia got blurry when you touched it and made it difficult to see clearly.  The Captivate's is awesome.  Also, the call quality (volume and quality of sound) are SO much better than the Xperia. 

I had been using the Xperia for a couple of weeks and as soon as I went back to the Captivate and made one phone call, it was very easy to make the decision.

4 of 15 (1,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2010 12:11:32 PM
(0)
Explorer

neftalica wrote:

Hello Everyone:

Thanks in advance

It appears that you've been given some pretty good reviews of the Captivate and I'm about to add my voice to the chorus.

I've never had an iPhone, but I did own an iPod Touch - primarily for the convenience of iTunes. However, after I purchased the Captivate, I made the iPod an early Christmas present to one of my grandchildren. All of the music that was loaded on the iPod is now on the Captivate -- with room to spare. The same applies to the videos and photos that had been on the iPod.

So now I only have to haul around one device that thus far, I'm very happy with.

neftalica wrote:

Hello Everyone:

Thanks in advance

It appears that you've been given some pretty good reviews of the Captivate and I'm about to add my voice to the chorus.

I've never had an iPhone, but I did own an iPod Touch - primarily for the convenience of iTunes. However, after I purchased the Captivate, I made the iPod an early Christmas present to one of my grandchildren. All of the music that was loaded on the iPod is now on the Captivate -- with room to spare. The same applies to the videos and photos that had been on the iPod.

So now I only have to haul around one device that thus far, I'm very happy with.

5 of 15 (1,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2010 4:13:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

JRd1st wrote:

The AT&T apps can be deleted... if you root the phone. Rooting isn't as hard as it may seem, it's just a matter of copying a single file to the phone and starting it. Deleting an AT&T app after rooting is easily done with an app called Root Explorer. You can find a few guides on how to do these in sites like XDA (or just Google).

Persistent bookmarks can also be removed. I think it was click the bookmark, history, delete. Or from what I stumbled on, download the Skyfire browser and delete the links from there.

I agree GPS sucks though, and on that I would wait & see if Samsung can really fix it.

JRd1st wrote:

The AT&T apps can be deleted... if you root the phone. Rooting isn't as hard as it may seem, it's just a matter of copying a single file to the phone and starting it. Deleting an AT&T app after rooting is easily done with an app called Root Explorer. You can find a few guides on how to do these in sites like XDA (or just Google).

Persistent bookmarks can also be removed. I think it was click the bookmark, history, delete. Or from what I stumbled on, download the Skyfire browser and delete the links from there.

I agree GPS sucks though, and on that I would wait & see if Samsung can really fix it.

6 of 15 (1,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2010 5:14:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm actually going to stay with my iphone 3g even though i recently purchased a samsung captivate. The reason is it turns out not all apps available on the apple store have been duplicated on the android market. I happen to use the ebay app quite a bit and it has a completely different capability on the android and i need those features which are missing in the android version.

So if there is some app that you need to have check on the android market to see if it is duplicated there.

I'm actually going to stay with my iphone 3g even though i recently purchased a samsung captivate. The reason is it turns out not all apps available on the apple store have been duplicated on the android market. I happen to use the ebay app quite a bit and it has a completely different capability on the android and i need those features which are missing in the android version.

So if there is some app that you need to have check on the android market to see if it is duplicated there.

7 of 15 (1,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2010 6:39:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

Hello everyone !!!

Thanks for all your reviews and recommendations, and i have purchased my phone today!!!

But it not the captivate.... you see what happen today....

I was decided to go on captivate and i received a call from a employee of the store in the mall i work and she tells me that today arrived 6 iphone 4 but those were 32 gb so my early upgrade is $499, and i buy it.

Dont get me wrong!!!! i was going to but the captivate but when the chance was given to me i could not resist it...

I have 3 docks, and 2 battery chargers, so.... its economy for my and still a great device... both devices are EXCELLENT and so you guys!!!!! thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it

and sorry for my bad english ha ha ha i'm learning!

Hello everyone !!!

Thanks for all your reviews and recommendations, and i have purchased my phone today!!!

But it not the captivate.... you see what happen today....

I was decided to go on captivate and i received a call from a employee of the store in the mall i work and she tells me that today arrived 6 iphone 4 but those were 32 gb so my early upgrade is $499, and i buy it.

Dont get me wrong!!!! i was going to but the captivate but when the chance was given to me i could not resist it...

I have 3 docks, and 2 battery chargers, so.... its economy for my and still a great device... both devices are EXCELLENT and so you guys!!!!! thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it

and sorry for my bad english ha ha ha i'm learning!

8 of 15 (1,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2010 12:24:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

If you have an iPhone and the only reason you are considering a Captivate is because the iPhone 4 is not in stock then you should not get the Captivate. Period.

If you want an iPhone you won't be happy with anything else most likely. Me I prefer Android. But you can't argue with the multimedia capabilities of iPhone and tight integration/syncing with iTunes.

I swore off iPhones after one year of using the 3G and getting 50% dropped call rate.

(yes I swapped out with the Apple store twice with no improvement, and yes I switched to a Bold and my dropped calls went away. Fact. Nothing changed but the phone. AT&T is taking a beating because of the poor quality of the iPhone as a phone. Hope it's worth it.)

If you have an iPhone and the only reason you are considering a Captivate is because the iPhone 4 is not in stock then you should not get the Captivate. Period.

If you want an iPhone you won't be happy with anything else most likely. Me I prefer Android. But you can't argue with the multimedia capabilities of iPhone and tight integration/syncing with iTunes.

I swore off iPhones after one year of using the 3G and getting 50% dropped call rate.

(yes I swapped out with the Apple store twice with no improvement, and yes I switched to a Bold and my dropped calls went away. Fact. Nothing changed but the phone. AT&T is taking a beating because of the poor quality of the iPhone as a phone. Hope it's worth it.)

9 of 15 (1,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2010 3:09:17 PM
(0)
Mentor

Multimind wrote:

thanks 4 understand me, i'm really happy right now with my iphone 4, but dont get me wrong, when i was on tmobile i had the g1 and i love it! and really love android, but then one day, the g1 fell out right 2 the floor and the screen was cracked, so i decide to cancel my contract and move away to a faster internet (its my case in puerto rico) and better coverage, so then i decided for the iphone, and love it. Iphone is a good phone and Android is a AWESOME OS!!!!! as matter of fact i played with the Captivate @the store and i like it!!! so guys... be happy with your phone, its a great device!!! and has a great features and a powerful os....

Multimind wrote:

thanks 4 understand me, i'm really happy right now with my iphone 4, but dont get me wrong, when i was on tmobile i had the g1 and i love it! and really love android, but then one day, the g1 fell out right 2 the floor and the screen was cracked, so i decide to cancel my contract and move away to a faster internet (its my case in puerto rico) and better coverage, so then i decided for the iphone, and love it. Iphone is a good phone and Android is a AWESOME OS!!!!! as matter of fact i played with the Captivate @the store and i like it!!! so guys... be happy with your phone, its a great device!!! and has a great features and a powerful os....

10 of 15 (1,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 3:32:52 AM
(0)
Guru

Multimind, I have an iPhone 4 and have no problems with dropped calls.  I have only had the phone for two and a half months, but so far, my phone seems to be able to hang onto calls.  I am not a technical person so I have no idea why my phone works well, at least at this point.  Can it be my location?  I don't live in a big city.  Is my phone just really well built?  Why do some iPhones drop calls and others don't?

Multimind, I have an iPhone 4 and have no problems with dropped calls.  I have only had the phone for two and a half months, but so far, my phone seems to be able to hang onto calls.  I am not a technical person so I have no idea why my phone works well, at least at this point.  Can it be my location?  I don't live in a big city.  Is my phone just really well built?  Why do some iPhones drop calls and others don't?

11 of 15 (769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 4:44:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

ormom51 wrote:

I think its due of the location and coverage, i live in guayama, puerto rico and its really strange that i drop a call, but my sisters live in vega baja, puerto rico, and get many dropped calls (and she doesn't use an iphone). Then again my other sister live in bayamon and got the iphone too and when she's in her home, none call dropped, but when she's working.... it drops every 10 minutes, and she's using a otterbox defender case, so the thing about the antenna its not the problem, so i think its location/coverage problem and not a design one.

Come on people!!!! let just face it!

With antenna problem o without it, i was going to buy it a case, i dont like to look my phone and be like "WHOA! IT'S SCRATCHED, or WHOA! IT's CRACKED!, so if you have an iphone, buy a case!!!! and you're gonna protect your phone and eradicate the antenna thing

As the Captivate, its a gorgeos device, buy a case for it and a screenprotector, its super cool phone, so if i had it i will protect it too.

Good day everyone!

ormom51 wrote:

I think its due of the location and coverage, i live in guayama, puerto rico and its really strange that i drop a call, but my sisters live in vega baja, puerto rico, and get many dropped calls (and she doesn't use an iphone). Then again my other sister live in bayamon and got the iphone too and when she's in her home, none call dropped, but when she's working.... it drops every 10 minutes, and she's using a otterbox defender case, so the thing about the antenna its not the problem, so i think its location/coverage problem and not a design one.

Come on people!!!! let just face it!

With antenna problem o without it, i was going to buy it a case, i dont like to look my phone and be like "WHOA! IT'S SCRATCHED, or WHOA! IT's CRACKED!, so if you have an iphone, buy a case!!!! and you're gonna protect your phone and eradicate the antenna thing

As the Captivate, its a gorgeos device, buy a case for it and a screenprotector, its super cool phone, so if i had it i will protect it too.

Good day everyone!

12 of 15 (763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 7:02:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Multimind wrote:

I hear you MultiMind.  My friends had previous iPhones and dropped calls too much for me.  However, I took the chance on the iPhone 4 and have not had a problem with dropped calls.  I was utterly amazed that the iPhone 4 has reception in one of the few places that my previous Nokia did not.  My friend who upgraded to an iPhone 4 from 3Gs has also noticed an improvement in reception.  If you liked the iPhone outside of its reception issues, consider coming to the 4.

Multimind wrote:

I hear you MultiMind.  My friends had previous iPhones and dropped calls too much for me.  However, I took the chance on the iPhone 4 and have not had a problem with dropped calls.  I was utterly amazed that the iPhone 4 has reception in one of the few places that my previous Nokia did not.  My friend who upgraded to an iPhone 4 from 3Gs has also noticed an improvement in reception.  If you liked the iPhone outside of its reception issues, consider coming to the 4.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 15 (746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 9:15:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

No.   The WiFi on my Samsung Captivate started failing after 26 days but could be restored by removing the battery.   On the 31st day, it died completely.   AT&T ping-pong'd me for hours while I tried to get a warranty replacement.   There are definite Quality Assurance issues with this phone.

No.   The WiFi on my Samsung Captivate started failing after 26 days but could be restored by removing the battery.   On the 31st day, it died completely.   AT&T ping-pong'd me for hours while I tried to get a warranty replacement.   There are definite Quality Assurance issues with this phone.

14 of 15 (738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 1:27:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

wooac wrote:

I think there maybe a defective unit, so u could get it replace it, hope you can do that (AT&T replace it)

I remember when i had the AT&T (HTC) 8525 the speaker got loose and when i take the phone in my hands sounds like a maraca  or a rattle toy, i call them and they replace it

wooac wrote:

I think there maybe a defective unit, so u could get it replace it, hope you can do that (AT&T replace it)

I remember when i had the AT&T (HTC) 8525 the speaker got loose and when i take the phone in my hands sounds like a maraca  or a rattle toy, i call them and they replace it

15 of 15 (717 Views)