Working on lowering battery drain

Professor

Working on lowering battery drain

If I remove WSJ app, will my Android become unstable?

Message 1 of 14 (369 Views)
Master

Re: Working on lowering battery drain

ilikewireless wrote:

Unstable as in how? And I'm assuming that the WSJ is an app that always seems to update frequently, which leads to your battery draining quicker?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 14 (358 Views)
Employee

wall street journal? what is the WSJ app? if its something you downloaded you can uninstall no problem. if it came preinstalled then you can't remove it
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 14 (344 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Wild Banchi wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Unstable as in how? And I'm assuming that the WSJ is an app that always seems to update frequently, which leads to your battery draining quicker?

Unstable as in making my tablet unusable. I'll have to look into battery use a little moreSmiley Surprised Just idling the Android takes juice. Is there an app that can itemize the category named "Android System"?

Message 4 of 14 (339 Views)
Professor

JFizDaWiz wrote:
wall street journal? what is the WSJ app? if its something you downloaded you can uninstall no problem. if it came preinstalled then you can't remove it

How is Wall Street Journal crucial to the operation of an Android?

Message 5 of 14 (336 Views)
Master

How are those percentage bad in your image? They look fine to me.

I don't know if the developers of this application have a tablet version, but I use it to understand just what is using the battery.
https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel.r1
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 14 (330 Views)
Master

My display has used 81% of my battery overall, and it's not even set at half brightness. My "phone idle" section has taken 3% off of my battery's total charge, but that's fine. I'm wondering how come your idle time is so much?

As for an app, I would take a peek at the one that Ann154 linked above.

Message 7 of 14 (325 Views)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
How are those percentage bad in your image? They look fine to me.

I don't know if the developers of this application have a tablet version, but I use it to understand just what is using the battery.
https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel.r1

Thanks for your recommendation.Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14 (321 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Wild Banchi wrote:
My display has used 81% of my battery overall, and it's not even set at half brightness. My "phone idle" section has taken 3% off of my battery's total charge, but that's fine. I'm wondering how come your idle time is so much?

Yes, normally my display would show a high battery usage as you just mentioned.

Yesterday I recharged the Tab. After that, I stored the Tab in my drawer for over 12 hrs with the WiFi turned off, and display turned off. Apparently, I get a brand new chart every time I recharge the Tab.

My Tab was "twiddling it's thumbs", using battery power. I come to think of it, isn't there a sleep mode for the Android?

Message 9 of 14 (318 Views)
Master

ilikewireless wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Yesterday I recharged the Tab. After that, I stored the Tab in my drawer for over 12 hrs with the WiFi turned off, and display turned off. Apparently, I get a brand new chart every time I recharge the Tab.

My Tab was "twiddling it's thumbs", using battery power. I come to think of it, isn't there a sleep mode for the Android?

Yes, Android phones/tablets go into sleep mode as soon as the screen goes dark. They do this to conserve battery power, as you probably already knew. Once in sleep mode, only a small percentage of the battery is used, but some is still used because the phone is still turned on. If there are apps running in the background while your tablet is in sleep mode, that would definitely take some battery power as opposed to no open/running applications. Facebook or select other apps can be the worst because they constantly update and scan for new information.

I like using the Task Manager on my phone to end open or otherwise unused apps. Works good, especially to conserve on battery life.

Message 10 of 14 (313 Views)
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Yes, Android phones/tablets go into sleep mode as soon as the screen goes dark. They do this to conserve battery power, as you probably already knew. Once in sleep mode, only a small percentage of the battery is used, but some is still used because the phone is still turned on. If there are apps running in the background while your tablet is in sleep mode, that would definitely take some battery power as opposed to no open/running applications. Facebook or select other apps can be the worst because they constantly update and scan for new information.

I like using the Task Manager on my phone to end open or otherwise unused apps. Works good, especially to conserve on battery life.

Ditto.

Message 11 of 14 (278 Views)
Master

The device idle at 87% during a period where the tablet sat in a drawer in quite in line with my one device that is left in airplane mode for days on one charge.

The battery usage stats will reset every time you plug in the device to charge and unplug the device.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 14 (274 Views)
Expert

ilikewireless wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Ditto.

It also cuts down on "unknown" data use for the apps that are written to multitask and connect to the internet to get information

Message 13 of 14 (269 Views)
Professor

You also want to be wary of apps that use timers, like profile type apps where you set times for certain settings to auto adjust. Certain shortcuts to apps on your home screens too can trigger background activity even if you havent clicked on these icons.
Message 14 of 14 (251 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.