Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 6, 2011
2:29:27 PM
View profile
Working on lowering battery drain
If I remove WSJ app, will my Android become unstable?

Working on lowering battery drain

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2011 3:56:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ilikewireless wrote:

Unstable as in how? And I'm assuming that the WSJ is an app that always seems to update frequently, which leads to your battery draining quicker?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

ilikewireless wrote:

Unstable as in how? And I'm assuming that the WSJ is an app that always seems to update frequently, which leads to your battery draining quicker?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Working on lowering battery drain

2 of 14 (309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2011 12:24:58 PM
(0)
Employee
wall street journal? what is the WSJ app? if its something you downloaded you can uninstall no problem. if it came preinstalled then you can't remove it
wall street journal? what is the WSJ app? if its something you downloaded you can uninstall no problem. if it came preinstalled then you can't remove it
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 14 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2011 1:37:09 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 7, 2011 at 1:44:09 PM

Wild Banchi wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Unstable as in making my tablet unusable. I'll have to look into battery use a little moreSmiley Surprised Just idling the Android takes juice. Is there an app that can itemize the category named "Android System"?

Wild Banchi wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Unstable as in making my tablet unusable. I'll have to look into battery use a little moreSmiley Surprised Just idling the Android takes juice. Is there an app that can itemize the category named "Android System"?

[ Edited ]
4 of 14 (290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2011 1:47:57 PM
(0)
Professor

JFizDaWiz wrote:

How is Wall Street Journal crucial to the operation of an Android?

JFizDaWiz wrote:

How is Wall Street Journal crucial to the operation of an Android?

5 of 14 (287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2011 6:26:00 PM
(0)
Master
How are those percentage bad in your image? They look fine to me.

I don't know if the developers of this application have a tablet version, but I use it to understand just what is using the battery.
https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel.r1
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy

I don't know if the developers of this application have a tablet version, but I use it to understand just what is using the battery.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

6 of 14 (281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2011 7:08:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
My display has used 81% of my battery overall, and it's not even set at half brightness. My "phone idle" section has taken 3% off of my battery's total charge, but that's fine. I'm wondering how come your idle time is so much?

As for an app, I would take a peek at the one that Ann154 linked above.

My display has used 81% of my battery overall, and it's not even set at half brightness. My "phone idle" section has taken 3% off of my battery's total charge, but that's fine. I'm wondering how come your idle time is so much?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 14 (276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2011 8:35:13 PM
(0)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:

Thanks for your recommendation.Smiley Happy

Ann154 wrote:

Thanks for your recommendation.Smiley Happy

8 of 14 (272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2011 9:05:49 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 7, 2011 at 9:08:19 PM

Wild Banchi wrote:

Yes, normally my display would show a high battery usage as you just mentioned.

Yesterday I recharged the Tab. After that, I stored the Tab in my drawer for over 12 hrs with the WiFi turned off, and display turned off. Apparently, I get a brand new chart every time I recharge the Tab.

My Tab was "twiddling it's thumbs", using battery power. I come to think of it, isn't there a sleep mode for the Android?

Wild Banchi wrote:

Yesterday I recharged the Tab. After that, I stored the Tab in my drawer for over 12 hrs with the WiFi turned off, and display turned off. Apparently, I get a brand new chart every time I recharge the Tab.

My Tab was "twiddling it's thumbs", using battery power. I come to think of it, isn't there a sleep mode for the Android?

[ Edited ]
9 of 14 (269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2011 9:18:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ilikewireless wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Yes, Android phones/tablets go into sleep mode as soon as the screen goes dark. They do this to conserve battery power, as you probably already knew. Once in sleep mode, only a small percentage of the battery is used, but some is still used because the phone is still turned on. If there are apps running in the background while your tablet is in sleep mode, that would definitely take some battery power as opposed to no open/running applications. Facebook or select other apps can be the worst because they constantly update and scan for new information.

I like using the Task Manager on my phone to end open or otherwise unused apps. Works good, especially to conserve on battery life.

ilikewireless wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Yes, Android phones/tablets go into sleep mode as soon as the screen goes dark. They do this to conserve battery power, as you probably already knew. Once in sleep mode, only a small percentage of the battery is used, but some is still used because the phone is still turned on. If there are apps running in the background while your tablet is in sleep mode, that would definitely take some battery power as opposed to no open/running applications. Facebook or select other apps can be the worst because they constantly update and scan for new information.

I like using the Task Manager on my phone to end open or otherwise unused apps. Works good, especially to conserve on battery life.

10 of 14 (264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2011 10:19:10 PM
(0)
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Ditto.

Wild Banchi wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Ditto.

11 of 14 (229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2011 4:49:32 AM
(0)
Master
The device idle at 87% during a period where the tablet sat in a drawer in quite in line with my one device that is left in airplane mode for days on one charge.

The battery usage stats will reset every time you plug in the device to charge and unplug the device.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
The device idle at 87% during a period where the tablet sat in a drawer in quite in line with my one device that is left in airplane mode for days on one charge.

The battery usage stats will reset every time you plug in the device to charge and unplug the device.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

12 of 14 (225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2011 7:04:09 AM
(0)
Expert

ilikewireless wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Ditto.

It also cuts down on "unknown" data use for the apps that are written to multitask and connect to the internet to get information

ilikewireless wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Ditto.

It also cuts down on "unknown" data use for the apps that are written to multitask and connect to the internet to get information

13 of 14 (220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2011 11:58:31 AM
(0)
Professor
You also want to be wary of apps that use timers, like profile type apps where you set times for certain settings to auto adjust. Certain shortcuts to apps on your home screens too can trigger background activity even if you havent clicked on these icons.
You also want to be wary of apps that use timers, like profile type apps where you set times for certain settings to auto adjust. Certain shortcuts to apps on your home screens too can trigger background activity even if you havent clicked on these icons.
Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

14 of 14 (202 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments