Wonder when AT&T is going to start taking orders again?

Professor

Wonder when AT&T is going to start taking orders again?

I wonder why AT&T stopped taking orders, while Apple is still taking them.  True, the preordered phones that are going to be delivered in June are already sold out, but that's true at Apple too.  Apple is still taking orders, but obviously the ship dates keep pushing out as future manufactured phones become spoken for.  I would assume that at some time AT&T is going to start taking orders again, and when they do, the ship date will probably be the same as what Apple is showing on that date, so what's in it for AT&T to keep suspending orders?  Thought they may have been taking a breather to let their servers catch up, but you would think they would be caught up by now.

Just curious.

Message 1 of 14 (1,330 Views)
Teacher

Re: Wonder when AT&T is going to start taking orders again?

Last night at around 9:30pm EDT I was told by Customer Care that you can continue to order until June 21st at an AT&T store or Apple store; AT&T has abandoned the online ordering process for the time being. 

Message 2 of 14 (1,305 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

[ Edited ]

Hmm, wonder why?  IS AT&Ts online order system so broken that it can't take orders for iPhones that won't ship until mid/late July?  Apple seems to be able to handle it.  Just can't see a reason AT&T would stop taking online orders while Apple keeps taking them.

Message 3 of 14 (1,292 Views)
Teacher

I'd reckon it's due to inadequate I.T. infrastructure.  Their servers simply cannot handle the load.  Being in the I.T. field I can tell you that many large organizations are not on the bleeding edge of technology due to the cost constraints.  You'd be surprised how many Windows 2000 Servers I still maintain, and I work for a large HMO.  Yes, I said Windows 2000.  Scary but true.

Message 4 of 14 (1,263 Views)
Teacher

Can they even call it a pre-order anymore? I mean your not getting it until July now right? I will take my chances for finding it a store on the 24th, if not then I will order. I wonder if you can pre-order, then if you do get it a store, you can cancel? 

Message 5 of 14 (1,241 Views)

It's called IT planning 101, which both AT&T and Apple have failed MISERABLY at.

AT&T should have known approximately how many users were eligible for an early upgrade and were eligible for the discounted upgrade and configured their servers to at least handle that much of a load, you would have seen a very different scenario.

You'd figure after THREE OTHER TIMES they'd get it right.

Message 6 of 14 (1,232 Views)
Teacher

I wasn't informed of the July 14th date by the AT&T Customer Care person last evening; I actually saw that date for the first time on Apple's website.  AT&T seemed to infer that "pre-orders" done by June 21st "may" be available on June 24th. 

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.  LOL!

Message 7 of 14 (1,224 Views)
Mentor

<Last night at around 9:30pm EDT I was told by Customer Care that you can continue to order until June 21st at an AT&T store or Apple store;>

FYI:  I was just at an AT&T store today at about 3:00 p.m. central time and they are not taking pre orders.  That's not saying it won't change anytime.

Message 8 of 14 (1,162 Views)
Teacher

Let' s not be dumb guys, Apple wanted to run out, they want a short! It better PR to have the news talking about sell outs then having stores full of them. It's PR, it's free face time on websites and news shows

Message 9 of 14 (1,146 Views)
Teacher

I think AT&T is having a very difficult time reconciling the orders. Some people have multiple orders that should only have one, some orders were taken by pen and paper, and I'm sure there was some level of corruption. I don;t see them resuming orders until they have 100% accountability of all orders placed Monday.

Message 10 of 14 (1,122 Views)
Tutor

Again, as posted before.. being in the I.T. field, I can also say it is due to poor infrastructure and due to cost restraints most likely would yield something of this nature. You cannot just assume "omg get every server in the world and set it up for june 15th" and everything will be solved. They have stated themselves that they never guessed it would have been this ridiculous of an outcome, and you cannot plan for that. Also yes you would be surprised at how many servers are still running windows server 2000 etc. It is the sad truth about many IT places today, they are not all running the newest technology as some consumers may think. and it is very expensive to revamp such a thing all at once.

Message 11 of 14 (532 Views)
Scholar

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

It's called IT planning 101, which both AT&T and Apple have failed MISERABLY at.

AT&T should have known approximately how many users were eligible for an early upgrade and were eligible for the discounted upgrade and configured their servers to at least handle that much of a load, you would have seen a very different scenario.

The iPhone 3G was a first come, first serve basis by waiting in line. I don't recall the first gen, and the 3GS was pre-order.  The iPhone 4 has far surpassed the 3GS in preorder sales.  Even if they were prepared for twice as much, it has exceeded that too. 

Message 12 of 14 (528 Views)
Mentor

Docs44 wrote:

The iPhone 3G was a first come, first serve basis by waiting in line. I don't recall the first gen, and the 3GS was pre-order.  The iPhone 4 has far surpassed the 3GS in preorder sales.  Even if they were prepared for twice as much, it has exceeded that too. 

(Docs44, the quote doesn't look like it, but I'm agreeing with you)

Not saying AT&T is a bunch of geniuses, but how the frak do you predict TEN TIMES the preorders of any other phone you've previously sold?  Even if some marketing genius predicted it, that's seven to eight figures of infrastructure build out needed to support it -- good luck selling that to senior management with no hard data to support your estimates.

Lots of armchair quarterbacks on the forums seem to think they know everything there is about corporate  infrastructure preparedness and capital spending approvals.  Their comments show they have no real world experience in the field.

Message 13 of 14 (480 Views)
JSY
Scholar

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

If no one anticipated this type of a rush - and that's including all the research analysts in the world - why would you fault AT&T and Apple for not anticipating it? 

Message 14 of 14 (469 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.