Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 23, 2010
6:44:17 PM
View profile
Wireless Signal is Weak on the iPhone 4 (for me)

I will try to capture a picture of both my wife's iPhone 3G and my iPhone4 next to each other. The iPhone 3G has a full bar while the iPhone 4 has 2. WTH!!! 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or is it just me? 

By the way I'm obviously not blaming AT&T for this one.

I will try to capture a picture of both my wife's iPhone 3G and my iPhone4 next to each other. The iPhone 3G has a full bar while the iPhone 4 has 2. WTH!!! 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or is it just me? 

By the way I'm obviously not blaming AT&T for this one.

Wireless Signal is Weak on the iPhone 4 (for me)

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 6:46:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

It is a known software bug in how the signal is displayed.  It is not indicative of an actual weak signal.  It will be fixed in a future update

It is a known software bug in how the signal is displayed.  It is not indicative of an actual weak signal.  It will be fixed in a future update

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Wireless Signal is Weak on the iPhone 4 (for me)

2 of 8 (1,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 6:58:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

cousintim wrote:

Really? Any references/documentation to support that? I'm not trying to be a d0uche but I only have a few days before I can return this phone with no termination fee so if this turns out to be a hardware issue, I'm taking my iPhone back to Apple Smiley Sad

cousintim wrote:

Really? Any references/documentation to support that? I'm not trying to be a d0uche but I only have a few days before I can return this phone with no termination fee so if this turns out to be a hardware issue, I'm taking my iPhone back to Apple Smiley Sad

3 of 8 (1,808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 7:07:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

I came across the same thing also in reading some of the reviews.  Here's one from a well-respected tech expert for the Wall Street Journal.  He talks about the signal/bar display.  He talks about the issue, and patch towards the bottom. 

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100622/apple-iphone4-review/

I came across the same thing also in reading some of the reviews.  Here's one from a well-respected tech expert for the Wall Street Journal.  He talks about the signal/bar display.  He talks about the issue, and patch towards the bottom. 

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100622/apple-iphone4-review/

4 of 8 (1,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 7:58:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem.  My two 3G's get 4-5 bars and excellent reception in this area, but my iPhone 4 says "no service" half the time and bar or two the rest of the time.  Once in a while it will display 4 bars, but then quickly bounce back to 1 or none.  I drove around the area and didn't find the reception to be any better.  My new phone is essentially unusable and nearly all calls "fail".  My son will be activating his iPhone 4 soon so I'll find out if it's my phone or something more serious with the iPhone 4 and AT&T's network.

As of now, my phone us essentially unusable. 

I have the same problem.  My two 3G's get 4-5 bars and excellent reception in this area, but my iPhone 4 says "no service" half the time and bar or two the rest of the time.  Once in a while it will display 4 bars, but then quickly bounce back to 1 or none.  I drove around the area and didn't find the reception to be any better.  My new phone is essentially unusable and nearly all calls "fail".  My son will be activating his iPhone 4 soon so I'll find out if it's my phone or something more serious with the iPhone 4 and AT&T's network.

As of now, my phone us essentially unusable. 

5 of 8 (1,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

[ Edited ]
6 of 8 (1,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 8:14:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

This really saddens me because if this doesn't get resolved during the Return period, I will have to return the absolute best smart phone I've ever used (except for this major problem). I really hope this is a software issue (even though some of the posts on the Gizmodo article suggest that it could be a connectivity issue). 

This really saddens me because if this doesn't get resolved during the Return period, I will have to return the absolute best smart phone I've ever used (except for this major problem). I really hope this is a software issue (even though some of the posts on the Gizmodo article suggest that it could be a connectivity issue). 

7 of 8 (1,680 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 10:21:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

I really get bad reception which matches the bars I see.  When I hold the phone, not only are the bars reduced, but my calls get dropped or wont connect.  If I put the phone down, the bars go up, and the calls connect.  Also, as a separate issue, people barely hear me.  I needed to use the headphones/mic.

I really get bad reception which matches the bars I see.  When I hold the phone, not only are the bars reduced, but my calls get dropped or wont connect.  If I put the phone down, the bars go up, and the calls connect.  Also, as a separate issue, people barely hear me.  I needed to use the headphones/mic.

8 of 8 (1,577 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments