Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 13, 2008
10:41:51 PM
View profile
Wireless Cards
How do the PC cards work?  Does it work anywhere or is it like a cell phone?  Do I need an I.S.P.? 
How do the PC cards work?  Does it work anywhere or is it like a cell phone?  Do I need an I.S.P.? 

Wireless Cards

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2008 10:55:57 PM
(0)
Master
Although the cards use the cellular network, they do not operate like what old dialup modems used to work on traditional phone lines.  "Dialing" is simply running the Connection Manger software and clicking on "connect."  The card then establishes a data session to AT&T, which then connects you to the internet.  Thus AT&T is your ISP (a.k.a. Internet Service Provider.)
Although the cards use the cellular network, they do not operate like what old dialup modems used to work on traditional phone lines.  "Dialing" is simply running the Connection Manger software and clicking on "connect."  The card then establishes a data session to AT&T, which then connects you to the internet.  Thus AT&T is your ISP (a.k.a. Internet Service Provider.)

Re: Wireless Cards

2 of 8 (3,553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2008 2:10:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

ashlitheredangel wrote:

With an Aircard the carrier becomes your ISP of sorts, with the exception that AT&T will not assign you a e-mail address like Yahoo, etc.  You would need to get one of the free e-mail addresses available.  The Aircard and service from At&T will allow you to gain access to the internet.  The service is like a cell phone in terms of there needs to be adequate coverage where you are using the card to get a decent signal.  You can check the coverage map http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer to see what type of coverage (3G coverage is the fastest connection speed) is available in the area where you will use the card the most.  If not 3G coverage you will be on the EDGE network which will have speeds similar to dial up; however if the coverage map indicates poor coverage where you will use the card the most you most likely will not be pleased with the connection and speeds. 

As far as how they work I will leave that to those more technically advanced than I.

ashlitheredangel wrote:

With an Aircard the carrier becomes your ISP of sorts, with the exception that AT&T will not assign you a e-mail address like Yahoo, etc.  You would need to get one of the free e-mail addresses available.  The Aircard and service from At&T will allow you to gain access to the internet.  The service is like a cell phone in terms of there needs to be adequate coverage where you are using the card to get a decent signal.  You can check the coverage map http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer to see what type of coverage (3G coverage is the fastest connection speed) is available in the area where you will use the card the most.  If not 3G coverage you will be on the EDGE network which will have speeds similar to dial up; however if the coverage map indicates poor coverage where you will use the card the most you most likely will not be pleased with the connection and speeds. 

As far as how they work I will leave that to those more technically advanced than I.

3 of 8 (3,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2008 12:17:39 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

asatoran wrote:

I know I'm probably going over the head of the OP (sorry) but all current AT&T LaptopConnect cards use an NDIS based connection versus the older RAS based method.  The cards operate similar to the network card you plug your ethernet cable into.

asatoran wrote:

I know I'm probably going over the head of the OP (sorry) but all current AT&T LaptopConnect cards use an NDIS based connection versus the older RAS based method.  The cards operate similar to the network card you plug your ethernet cable into.

4 of 8 (3,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2008 2:40:08 PM
(0)
Master

Luckey wrote:

asatoran wrote:

I initially was gonna say something like that, but wasn't sure if the OP wanted a "what do I do" vs "what technology" kind of answer.  I figure, if they want the "full geek answer," they ask again with the really big words or lots of acronyms.  Smiley Happy

Luckey wrote:

asatoran wrote:

I initially was gonna say something like that, but wasn't sure if the OP wanted a "what do I do" vs "what technology" kind of answer.  I figure, if they want the "full geek answer," they ask again with the really big words or lots of acronyms.  Smiley Happy

5 of 8 (3,496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2008 7:31:29 PM
(0)
Contributor
What's an ethernet cable?  And, so, does AT&T have plans or how does that work?  And is there any way I can get pricing? 
What's an ethernet cable?  And, so, does AT&T have plans or how does that work?  And is there any way I can get pricing? 

6 of 8 (3,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2008 8:12:52 PM
(0)
Master

ashlitheredangel wrote:

Not worth getting banned for.  Good luck.

ashlitheredangel wrote:

Not worth getting banned for.  Good luck.

7 of 8 (3,472 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2008 9:43:18 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by LCT on Apr 14, 2008 at 9:43:43 PM

ashlitheredangel wrote:

You can find more information about ethernet here.  Yes, AT&T does offer them and they're FREE!  All you have to do is sign up for DSL and they'll send you one with your modem! Gee Whiz, it's a good thing you asked otherwise you could of ended up paying upwards of twenty bucks for one.  Finally, and I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think that you can use that with a LaptopConnect card.

Message Edited by LCT on 04-14-2008 09:43:43 PM

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

ashlitheredangel wrote:

You can find more information about ethernet here.  Yes, AT&T does offer them and they're FREE!  All you have to do is sign up for DSL and they'll send you one with your modem! Gee Whiz, it's a good thing you asked otherwise you could of ended up paying upwards of twenty bucks for one.  Finally, and I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think that you can use that with a LaptopConnect card.

Message Edited by LCT on 04-14-2008 09:43:43 PM

[ Edited ]
8 of 8 (3,456 Views)