Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 14, 2011
4:53:11 PM
View profile
Will we ever see AT&T unlock our phones?

Now that 3 U.S. based carriers have the iPhone, is there any hope of AT&T unlocking our out-of-contract phones? I have been in China for 10 months now and would like to use iOS 5 on my iPhone 4, but obviously can't since it will lock it. Any news or rumors? 

Now that 3 U.S. based carriers have the iPhone, is there any hope of AT&T unlocking our out-of-contract phones? I have been in China for 10 months now and would like to use iOS 5 on my iPhone 4, but obviously can't since it will lock it. Any news or rumors? 

Will we ever see AT&T unlock our phones?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2011 5:17:50 PM
(0)
Professor
As of now, there is no indication of any change in the unlocking policy.
As of now, there is no indication of any change in the unlocking policy.

Re: Will we ever see AT&T unlock our phones?

2 of 8 (404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 12:15:29 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:27:24 PM

This is truly insane. 

How come people who completely paid off their iPhones contracts are still not able to use them with different cariers?

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Is that because most of Americans just never travel abroad or because they do not mind paying outrageous roaming fees???

This is truly insane. 

How come people who completely paid off their iPhones contracts are still not able to use them with different cariers?

Is that because most of Americans just never travel abroad or because they do not mind paying outrageous roaming fees???

[ Edited ]
3 of 8 (328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 12:22:04 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pamelaz on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:27:46 PM

jason198 wrote:

This is truly insane. 

As long as you maintain service with AT&T, I'd say they are within their rights to refuse to unlock the phone. Now, when you cancel your service in order to go to another carrier, I would say that either AT&T or Apple should unlock your phone for you.

AT&T refuses to unlock PRECISELY because of the roaming fees. Why would they willingly give up revenue? Neither Verizon nor Sprint have to worry about that, because their phones won't work in most places anyone would ever want to go to.

jason198 wrote:

This is truly insane. 

As long as you maintain service with AT&T, I'd say they are within their rights to refuse to unlock the phone. Now, when you cancel your service in order to go to another carrier, I would say that either AT&T or Apple should unlock your phone for you.

AT&T refuses to unlock PRECISELY because of the roaming fees. Why would they willingly give up revenue? Neither Verizon nor Sprint have to worry about that, because their phones won't work in most places anyone would ever want to go to.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (320 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 12:28:09 PM
(0)
Mentor
Verizon and sprint both offer quite a few devices that can roam on gsm networks, including the 4S. They stand to lose just as much as AT&T (if not more) by offering an unlock. But they still offer it
Verizon and sprint both offer quite a few devices that can roam on gsm networks, including the 4S. They stand to lose just as much as AT&T (if not more) by offering an unlock. But they still offer it

5 of 8 (313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 12:31:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

TerraPhantm wrote:

It doesn't work that way. Verizon phones, for example, only roam on CDMA networks. They won't connect on local GSM networks overseas without separate provisions for local service.

Don't believe me? Check here:

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/

You won't find a single country in Europe on that list ...

TerraPhantm wrote:

It doesn't work that way. Verizon phones, for example, only roam on CDMA networks. They won't connect on local GSM networks overseas without separate provisions for local service.

Don't believe me? Check here:

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/

You won't find a single country in Europe on that list ...

6 of 8 (309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 12:42:53 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by TerraPhantm on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:44:01 PM
You're looking at the wrong list. Look at the one specifically for global phones (which includes the 4S)

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Global_Phone/plans_coverage.html
You're looking at the wrong list. Look at the one specifically for global phones (which includes the 4S)

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Global_Phone/plans_coverage.html

[ Edited ]
7 of 8 (301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2011 12:51:56 PM
(0)
Master

The point about Verizon and Sprint unlocking their phones is that they do not have as many partners overseas who their phones can naturally roam.  The 4S changes that for them as well as other CDMA/GSM phones but they are trying to differentiate themselves for overseas travelors by unlocking the SIM slot.  However, an unlocked international SIM slot is not going to most likely help in the US.

while ATT right now does not unlock iPHones, I think we may see that change here in the future for customers who are current on their bills and have been with ATT for some period of time since upgrading.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

The point about Verizon and Sprint unlocking their phones is that they do not have as many partners overseas who their phones can naturally roam.  The 4S changes that for them as well as other CDMA/GSM phones but they are trying to differentiate themselves for overseas travelors by unlocking the SIM slot.  However, an unlocked international SIM slot is not going to most likely help in the US.

while ATT right now does not unlock iPHones, I think we may see that change here in the future for customers who are current on their bills and have been with ATT for some period of time since upgrading.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

8 of 8 (294 Views)