Will we ever see AT&T unlock our phones?

Teacher

Will we ever see AT&T unlock our phones?

Now that 3 U.S. based carriers have the iPhone, is there any hope of AT&T unlocking our out-of-contract phones? I have been in China for 10 months now and would like to use iOS 5 on my iPhone 4, but obviously can't since it will lock it. Any news or rumors? 

Message 1 of 8 (433 Views)
Professor

Re: Will we ever see AT&T unlock our phones?

As of now, there is no indication of any change in the unlocking policy.
Message 2 of 8 (419 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is truly insane. 

How come people who completely paid off their iPhones contracts are still not able to use them with different cariers?

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Is that because most of Americans just never travel abroad or because they do not mind paying outrageous roaming fees???

Message 3 of 8 (343 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

jason198 wrote:

This is truly insane. 

How come people who completely paid off their iPhones contracts are still not able to use them with different cariers?

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Is that because most of Americans just never travel abroad or because they do not mind paying outrageous roaming fees???

As long as you maintain service with AT&T, I'd say they are within their rights to refuse to unlock the phone. Now, when you cancel your service in order to go to another carrier, I would say that either AT&T or Apple should unlock your phone for you.

AT&T refuses to unlock PRECISELY because of the roaming fees. Why would they willingly give up revenue? Neither Verizon nor Sprint have to worry about that, because their phones won't work in most places anyone would ever want to go to.

Message 4 of 8 (335 Views)
Mentor

Verizon and sprint both offer quite a few devices that can roam on gsm networks, including the 4S. They stand to lose just as much as AT&T (if not more) by offering an unlock. But they still offer it
Message 5 of 8 (328 Views)
Scholar

TerraPhantm wrote:
Verizon and sprint both offer quite a few devices that can roam on gsm networks, including the 4S. They stand to lose just as much as AT&T (if not more) by offering an unlock. But they still offer it

It doesn't work that way. Verizon phones, for example, only roam on CDMA networks. They won't connect on local GSM networks overseas without separate provisions for local service.

Don't believe me? Check here:

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/

You won't find a single country in Europe on that list ...

Message 6 of 8 (324 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]
You're looking at the wrong list. Look at the one specifically for global phones (which includes the 4S)

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Global_Phone/plans_coverage.html
Message 7 of 8 (316 Views)
Highlighted
Master

The point about Verizon and Sprint unlocking their phones is that they do not have as many partners overseas who their phones can naturally roam.  The 4S changes that for them as well as other CDMA/GSM phones but they are trying to differentiate themselves for overseas travelors by unlocking the SIM slot.  However, an unlocked international SIM slot is not going to most likely help in the US.

while ATT right now does not unlock iPHones, I think we may see that change here in the future for customers who are current on their bills and have been with ATT for some period of time since upgrading.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 8 of 8 (309 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.