Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 11, 2011
6:11:41 PM
View profile
Will the update to 2.2 be OTA or thru Kies Mini?

Here's why I ask, I too am waiting for this update, a tad bit more patiently than others I may add. However I have noticed my Samsung Kies Mini software has updated twice in the last couple of weeks. I usually check it once a week unless I hear something in the rumor mill, but I am trying to figure out why the software keeps updating to a newer version if at this point it is useless to us.

Here's why I ask, I too am waiting for this update, a tad bit more patiently than others I may add. However I have noticed my Samsung Kies Mini software has updated twice in the last couple of weeks. I usually check it once a week unless I hear something in the rumor mill, but I am trying to figure out why the software keeps updating to a newer version if at this point it is useless to us.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate

Will the update to 2.2 be OTA or thru Kies Mini?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 8:52:08 PM
(0)
Professor

They probably update it to support the new phones, like the Nexus S and the new phone (name escapes me) coming to AT&T.

They probably update it to support the new phones, like the Nexus S and the new phone (name escapes me) coming to AT&T.

Re: Will the update to 2.2 be OTA or thru Kies Mini?

2 of 4 (919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:06:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

Some more good news comes to Canadian owners of the Samsung Captivate, as Rogers has finally rolled out Android 2.2 updates to their customers. The Froyo update comes through the Kies software, so if you don't have that package installed already, you may want to jump on that beforehand. Does this mean that those of us in the states on the AT&T Captivate might see our 2.2 launch soon? Well, we won't hold our breath- that's for sure.

norts

Some more good news comes to Canadian owners of the Samsung Captivate, as Rogers has finally rolled out Android 2.2 updates to their customers. The Froyo update comes through the Kies software, so if you don't have that package installed already, you may want to jump on that beforehand. Does this mean that those of us in the states on the AT&T Captivate might see our 2.2 launch soon? Well, we won't hold our breath- that's for sure.

norts

Sent from My Android Phone...Still waiting on Froyo 2.2 From AT&T

3 of 4 (895 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 10:26:11 AM
(0)
Master

It is not related at all. Samsung Canada and Samsung US are two different entities.

Samsung release firmware updates through Kies in all other countries. But all US Galaxy S phones don't have Kies included. And firmware is intended to be OTA only. But since JH7 OTA problems (a lot of bricked phones), Samsung quitely released Kies Mini so that you can update through PC.

I'd expect future firmwares will be released through both OTA and Kies Mini.

It is not related at all. Samsung Canada and Samsung US are two different entities.

Samsung release firmware updates through Kies in all other countries. But all US Galaxy S phones don't have Kies included. And firmware is intended to be OTA only. But since JH7 OTA problems (a lot of bricked phones), Samsung quitely released Kies Mini so that you can update through PC.

I'd expect future firmwares will be released through both OTA and Kies Mini.

4 of 4 (826 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments