Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 9, 2012
12:20:41 PM
View profile
Will official Unlock of iPhone 3GS remove Apps and User Data?

Hi Forum,

I've just read that, in order to complete the official unlocking of iPhone 3GS (announced on 04/08), we need to connect to iTunes for a "restore". So I was wondering if, by doing that, will the user data in the iPhone (photos, mp3 songs) and bought/installed apps be deleted?.

I'm requesting my 3Gs unlock today (I'll be traveling overseas in a month and will buy a local SIM card there) and planning to go to the unlocking process as soon as I receive the approal and unlocking code... i.e. before having the other SIM card. Will I need the unlock code to connect to iTunes or only when inserting the new SIM card?.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Forum,

I've just read that, in order to complete the official unlocking of iPhone 3GS (announced on 04/08), we need to connect to iTunes for a "restore". So I was wondering if, by doing that, will the user data in the iPhone (photos, mp3 songs) and bought/installed apps be deleted?.

I'm requesting my 3Gs unlock today (I'll be traveling overseas in a month and will buy a local SIM card there) and planning to go to the unlocking process as soon as I receive the approal and unlocking code... i.e. before having the other SIM card. Will I need the unlock code to connect to iTunes or only when inserting the new SIM card?.

Thanks in advance.

Will official Unlock of iPhone 3GS remove Apps and User Data?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 12:27:57 PM
(0)
Master
You will backup your data then restore it. In the process, your phone gets unlocked. From there you should then be able to insert the foreign sim and with some adjustments for data access have a working iPhone.

This needs to happen before a new sim can be used.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
You will backup your data then restore it. In the process, your phone gets unlocked. From there you should then be able to insert the foreign sim and with some adjustments for data access have a working iPhone.

This needs to happen before a new sim can be used.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Will official Unlock of iPhone 3GS remove Apps and User Data?

2 of 4 (2,663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 12:28:48 PM
(0)
Master
Your apps and data will be placed back on your unlocked iPhone.

Your apps and data will be placed back on your unlocked iPhone.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 4 (2,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 1:03:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

guswhu wrote:

Hi Forum,

Thanks in advance.

It maybe becuase all you guys / girls in the states have never had the opportunity of officially unlocking your phone before that you are not aware of how the unlocking works, here in the UK we have had it for a few years and the procedure here is the same as in other countries that permit unlocking:

1. You request your network to unlock your iPhone.

2. If your phone / account meets the requirements the networks asks Apple to unlock the phone in their database.

3. When Apple have completed that step you need to connect the phone to iTunes with a sim card from a different.

network.

4. When you do this a message will appear in iTunes telling you your phone is unlocked.

Here in the UK the whole process takes up to seven working days.

There is bo code to enter on the phone and absolutely no need to restore the phone, but there is a need to use a different network sim to complete the unlock process.

guswhu wrote:

Hi Forum,

Thanks in advance.

It maybe becuase all you guys / girls in the states have never had the opportunity of officially unlocking your phone before that you are not aware of how the unlocking works, here in the UK we have had it for a few years and the procedure here is the same as in other countries that permit unlocking:

1. You request your network to unlock your iPhone.

2. If your phone / account meets the requirements the networks asks Apple to unlock the phone in their database.

3. When Apple have completed that step you need to connect the phone to iTunes with a sim card from a different.

network.

4. When you do this a message will appear in iTunes telling you your phone is unlocked.

Here in the UK the whole process takes up to seven working days.

There is bo code to enter on the phone and absolutely no need to restore the phone, but there is a need to use a different network sim to complete the unlock process.

4 of 4 (2,632 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments