Will my iPhone 2G work at all after 05.15?

Tutor

Will my iPhone 2G work at all after 05.15?

AT&T is turning its EDGE network off and they say I must upgrade my phone. I'm using 2G jailbroken iPhone because it works with my other SIM cards. They offered to give me a new phone but not an unlocked model. Plus iPhone 4 accepts micro SIM and I need the regular size slot.

I suppose the follow up question is: is there any other carrier that I could continue using my phone with? ie, T-Mobile, StraightTalk etc. Or the switch will affect eveyone (after all the smaller companies lease spectrum from ATT & Verizon, right?)

Message 1 of 22 (4,403 Views)
Scholar

Re: Will my iPhone 2G work at all after 05.15?

[ Edited ]

tenant13 wrote:

Since I started this thred, I might as well - sort of - end it: with a few answers. 

3) I switched to T-Mobile

I would have happily stayed with AT&T, honestly - but they are just not competitive enough with their prices. 

LOL, now waiting for the "the grass ain't always greener elsewhere" comments from the pro-AT&T folks... Smiley Wink

You know there will be at least one person who'll counter the "not competitive enough with their prices" comment by saying that the prices offered by the competing wireless companies are in the same ballpark or not any better than the ones offered by AT&T.

Message 16 of 22 (3,846 Views)
Professor

Has AT&T turned off Edge yet? i understand this was suppose to be last month.

Message 17 of 22 (3,827 Views)
Master

graphite07 wrote:

It will vary by market and their need for the spectrum used by Edge.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 18 of 22 (3,825 Views)
Professor

anton697 wrote:

tenant13 wrote:

Since I started this thred, I might as well - sort of - end it: with a few answers. 

3) I switched to T-Mobile

I would have happily stayed with AT&T, honestly - but they are just not competitive enough with their prices. 

LOL, now waiting for the "the grass ain't always greener elsewhere" comments from the pro-AT&T folks... Smiley Wink

You know there will be at least one person who'll counter the "not competitive enough with their prices" comment by saying that the prices offered by the competing wireless companies are in the same ballpark or not any better than the ones offered by AT&T.

I resisted the urge to welcome tenant13 to T-Mobile since this is an AT&T forum.  I'm a T-Mobile customer, as well.  T-Mobile has its pros and cons like any other carrier.  As a customer, you really have to stay on top of what the company is doing, because they like to make changes with poor notification.

Other than that, he should be fine.  Since he was used to Edge-only speeds on AT&T, the speed restrictions on the iPhone shouldn't be a problem for tenant13.

Message 19 of 22 (3,819 Views)
Scholar

graphite07 wrote:

Not in California. There are vast areas here that don't have 3G coverage, in addition there are many "3G" areas that I can't get a connection UNLESS I turn off 3G (just had to do that last week in Sacramento). Finally, there are even some areas where I drop down to the basic GPRS because there isn't a strong enough 3G or EDGE signal.

Message 20 of 22 (3,750 Views)
Scholar

romad wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

Not in California. There are vast areas here that don't have 3G coverage, in addition there are many "3G" areas that I can't get a connection UNLESS I turn off 3G (just had to do that last week in Sacramento). Finally, there are even some areas where I drop down to the basic GPRS because there isn't a strong enough 3G or EDGE signal.

LOL I'm sure some (pro-AT&T) folks will chime in and say that it's probably an issue with your phone because they get a (strong) 3G signal no matter where they are.  I can actually sympathize with your because I live in the Sacramento area and I can attest to the fact that there are definitely areas in Sacramento where 3G coverage is spotty at best.  Yes I know Sacramento ain't New York or San Francisco but it ain't some small podunk town either...

Message 21 of 22 (3,736 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

anton697 wrote:

romad wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

LOL I'm sure some (pro-AT&T) folks will chime in and say that it's probably an issue with your phone because they get a (strong) 3G signal no matter where they are.  I can actually sympathize with your because I live in the Sacramento area and I can attest to the fact that there are definitely areas in Sacramento where 3G coverage is spotty at best.  Yes I know Sacramento ain't New York or San Francisco but it ain't some small podunk town either...

not all carriers phones work perfectly in all locations, personally in LA, San diego and Sacramento I would nver use my ATT phone, Verizon has the edge for service there with sprint coming in last

Message 22 of 22 (3,731 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.