Wireless Forums

Posted May 1, 2012
8:14:52 PM
View profile
Will my iPhone 2G work at all after 05.15?

AT&T is turning its EDGE network off and they say I must upgrade my phone. I'm using 2G jailbroken iPhone because it works with my other SIM cards. They offered to give me a new phone but not an unlocked model. Plus iPhone 4 accepts micro SIM and I need the regular size slot.

I suppose the follow up question is: is there any other carrier that I could continue using my phone with? ie, T-Mobile, StraightTalk etc. Or the switch will affect eveyone (after all the smaller companies lease spectrum from ATT & Verizon, right?)

AT&T is turning its EDGE network off and they say I must upgrade my phone. I'm using 2G jailbroken iPhone because it works with my other SIM cards. They offered to give me a new phone but not an unlocked model. Plus iPhone 4 accepts micro SIM and I need the regular size slot.

I suppose the follow up question is: is there any other carrier that I could continue using my phone with? ie, T-Mobile, StraightTalk etc. Or the switch will affect eveyone (after all the smaller companies lease spectrum from ATT & Verizon, right?)

Will my iPhone 2G work at all after 05.15?

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 8:19:53 PM
(0)
Master

tenant13 wrote:

I would say you will have problems once they disable Edge but I did not think it wa happening this quickly?  Do you need to move a SIM between phones and that is why you need a standard sim vs the micro sim?  You can always get an adapeter for times you need a standard size sim.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

tenant13 wrote:

I would say you will have problems once they disable Edge but I did not think it wa happening this quickly?  Do you need to move a SIM between phones and that is why you need a standard sim vs the micro sim?  You can always get an adapeter for times you need a standard size sim.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Will my iPhone 2G work at all after 05.15?

2 of 22 (3,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2012 7:58:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You can use the phone on T-Mobile.  Both T-Mobile and Sprint are independent mobile network operators (MNOs) with their own towers/equipment.  There are roaming agreements that exist, but that doesn't make either carrier dependent on AT&T or Verizon Wireless.

Your phone should still work on T-Mobile or Simple Mobile.  There's one other MVNO that allows you to choose between AT&T and T-Mobile service, but I can't remember if it's Net 10 or Straight Talk.

You can use the phone on T-Mobile.  Both T-Mobile and Sprint are independent mobile network operators (MNOs) with their own towers/equipment.  There are roaming agreements that exist, but that doesn't make either carrier dependent on AT&T or Verizon Wireless.

Your phone should still work on T-Mobile or Simple Mobile.  There's one other MVNO that allows you to choose between AT&T and T-Mobile service, but I can't remember if it's Net 10 or Straight Talk.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 22 (3,845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 1:04:22 PM
(0)
Guru

When and where has AT&T officially said they're turning their E network off? I know they will in the future, but I would think that would be widely reported. Can you post a link or proof please? As for you, if your report is true, you'll need a new phone, or you'll need to switch to another network to use your first-generation iPhone.

When and where has AT&T officially said they're turning their E network off? I know they will in the future, but I would think that would be widely reported. Can you post a link or proof please? As for you, if your report is true, you'll need a new phone, or you'll need to switch to another network to use your first-generation iPhone.

Experience the Underlyingsound.

4 of 22 (3,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 10:08:11 PM
(0)

That information might not be widely distributed because the network upgrade will only affect the few people who still haven't upgraded to 3G and higher. How many are out there? Nobody else will notice anything because they are off the EDGE network anyway. And perhaps it's only happening around NY? So today, I exchanged my old iPhone for iPhone 4. It was free so I opted for that instead of a $100 for 4S. I don't have a contract and this was not considered an upgrade so I will ask them to unlock it and try to cut my other SIMs so they fit into a smaller slot. I honestly did not want that switch but every possible rep I called told me that my 2G will just stop working. "You may experience degradation" is apparently just a nicer way of saying that. The iPhone 4 might have been free but my monthly bills instantly went up by $30 - data is $10 more and texting is another $20. Not happy about it.

I'm attaching the original AT&T email with the information.

Due to upcoming network improvements, your current older-model 2G phone must be exchanged.

If you do not take action soon, you may not be able to send or receive calls, and you may experience degradation of your wireless service in certain areas.

However, AT&T is giving you the chance to save up to $100 on a new phone, without a new service commitment, if you act by May 15, 2012. This makes many popular smartphones free to you with no contract required!*

You must act now:

1. Bring a printout of this email along with your current wireless phone to an AT&T company-owned store by May 15, 2012. Find a participating location in Metro NY, Northern NJ and CT at att.com/storelocator.

2. An AT&T representative will ensure that your phone is the one associated with the mobile number ending in xxxx.

3. Exchange your current 2G phone and save up to $100 on your choice of a new phone.

Visit your local AT&T company-owned store in Metro NY, Northern NJ and CT before May 15, 2012, to avoid service interruption. 

That information might not be widely distributed because the network upgrade will only affect the few people who still haven't upgraded to 3G and higher. How many are out there? Nobody else will notice anything because they are off the EDGE network anyway. And perhaps it's only happening around NY? So today, I exchanged my old iPhone for iPhone 4. It was free so I opted for that instead of a $100 for 4S. I don't have a contract and this was not considered an upgrade so I will ask them to unlock it and try to cut my other SIMs so they fit into a smaller slot. I honestly did not want that switch but every possible rep I called told me that my 2G will just stop working. "You may experience degradation" is apparently just a nicer way of saying that. The iPhone 4 might have been free but my monthly bills instantly went up by $30 - data is $10 more and texting is another $20. Not happy about it.

I'm attaching the original AT&T email with the information.

Due to upcoming network improvements, your current older-model 2G phone must be exchanged.

If you do not take action soon, you may not be able to send or receive calls, and you may experience degradation of your wireless service in certain areas.

However, AT&T is giving you the chance to save up to $100 on a new phone, without a new service commitment, if you act by May 15, 2012. This makes many popular smartphones free to you with no contract required!*

You must act now:

1. Bring a printout of this email along with your current wireless phone to an AT&T company-owned store by May 15, 2012. Find a participating location in Metro NY, Northern NJ and CT at att.com/storelocator.

2. An AT&T representative will ensure that your phone is the one associated with the mobile number ending in xxxx.

3. Exchange your current 2G phone and save up to $100 on your choice of a new phone.

Visit your local AT&T company-owned store in Metro NY, Northern NJ and CT before May 15, 2012, to avoid service interruption. 

5 of 22 (3,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 6, 2012 5:43:18 AM
(0)
Guru

I hope you're able to get the phone unlocked officially, as the unofficial channels are spotty at best on the newer versions of iOS. As far as your bill going up, that was inevitable. The original iPhone had something of a sweetheart deal from AT&T because it was only sold at full price. Subsequent generations of the iPhone used the same smartphone data & texting packages as everyone else.

I hope you're able to get the phone unlocked officially, as the unofficial channels are spotty at best on the newer versions of iOS. As far as your bill going up, that was inevitable. The original iPhone had something of a sweetheart deal from AT&T because it was only sold at full price. Subsequent generations of the iPhone used the same smartphone data & texting packages as everyone else.

6 of 22 (3,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 1:43:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

I do hope AT&T cut the edge, because I have a prepaid phone Samsung A107, it has a button in the middle that when you press and it go to the internet using the edge data immediately.

I tried to ask AT&T to disable the edge data, or even asked the staff in the store to disable that function for me, however, it's set up by the system can not disable.

So if they cut the edge, it's good news to me.

I do hope AT&T cut the edge, because I have a prepaid phone Samsung A107, it has a button in the middle that when you press and it go to the internet using the edge data immediately.

I tried to ask AT&T to disable the edge data, or even asked the staff in the store to disable that function for me, however, it's set up by the system can not disable.

7 of 22 (3,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 5:18:17 PM
(0)
Professor

i understand you have a jail broken Iphone. just upgrade to a new 4s,or go  to  apple and pay full price for  a unlocked Iphone 4s. if you do not give up your 2G i guess your inter net service for your 2G will be gone. nothing more to say here. it depends on you either get  A new iphone or lose part of your service on the 2G.

i understand you have a jail broken Iphone. just upgrade to a new 4s,or go  to  apple and pay full price for  a unlocked Iphone 4s. if you do not give up your 2G i guess your inter net service for your 2G will be gone. nothing more to say here. it depends on you either get  A new iphone or lose part of your service on the 2G.

hello!!!

8 of 22 (3,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 6:36:07 PM
(0)
Guru

Thanks for the information! I'm just curious, is it for your area or for the whole nation?

Thanks for the information! I'm just curious, is it for your area or for the whole nation?

Experience the Underlyingsound.

9 of 22 (3,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 6:55:44 PM
(0)
Master

Underlyingsound wrote:

Since this does not seam to be wide spread in the press as one would expect, I am wondering if it is local and may be a result of ATT having to turn over spectrum to T-Mobile as part of a failed merger?  Eventually it will be for all as they need the spectrum to grow with other services elsewhere.

Underlyingsound wrote:

Since this does not seam to be wide spread in the press as one would expect, I am wondering if it is local and may be a result of ATT having to turn over spectrum to T-Mobile as part of a failed merger?  Eventually it will be for all as they need the spectrum to grow with other services elsewhere.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

10 of 22 (3,666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 8:12:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

A customer posted an email in another thread that makes it seem like it's just the greater NYC area for now.

A customer posted an email in another thread that makes it seem like it's just the greater NYC area for now.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 22 (3,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 6, 2012 8:15:37 PM
(0)
Guru

No, it may not be good news. If they're phasing out their EDGE data network, then AT&T may also be phasing out their 2G voice network along with it. Once that occurs, phones that aren't at least 3G won't work at all in those areas where GSM/EDGE has been turned off.

dnschan wrote:

No, it may not be good news. If they're phasing out their EDGE data network, then AT&T may also be phasing out their 2G voice network along with it. Once that occurs, phones that aren't at least 3G won't work at all in those areas where GSM/EDGE has been turned off.

dnschan wrote:

12 of 22 (3,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 6, 2012 8:16:04 PM
(0)
Guru

Or ALL of your service, if they're turning off GSM voice along with EDGE data...

graphite07 wrote:

Or ALL of your service, if they're turning off GSM voice along with EDGE data...

graphite07 wrote:

13 of 22 (3,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 8:48:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello, I have a little trouble, can you help me

Hello, I have a little trouble, can you help me

14 of 22 (3,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2012 8:53:49 PM
(0)

Since I started this thred, I might as well - sort of - end it: with a few answers. 

1) I did get the new iPhone 4. I could have paid $100 and get 4S but what I really want is iPhone 5 so I opted for a free phone for now.

2) AT&T officially unlocked it right away BUT since this is a 3G enabled phone, my monthly payment instantly went up by $30

3) I switched to T-Mobile

I would have happily stayed with AT&T, honestly - but they are just not competitive enough with their prices. 

Since I started this thred, I might as well - sort of - end it: with a few answers. 

1) I did get the new iPhone 4. I could have paid $100 and get 4S but what I really want is iPhone 5 so I opted for a free phone for now.

2) AT&T officially unlocked it right away BUT since this is a 3G enabled phone, my monthly payment instantly went up by $30

I would have happily stayed with AT&T, honestly - but they are just not competitive enough with their prices. 

15 of 22 (3,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2012 8:40:54 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by anton697 on Jun 4, 2012 at 8:43:11 AM

tenant13 wrote:

LOL, now waiting for the "the grass ain't always greener elsewhere" comments from the pro-AT&T folks... :smileywink:

You know there will be at least one person who'll counter the "not competitive enough with their prices" comment by saying that the prices offered by the competing wireless companies are in the same ballpark or not any better than the ones offered by AT&T.

tenant13 wrote:

LOL, now waiting for the "the grass ain't always greener elsewhere" comments from the pro-AT&T folks... :smileywink:

You know there will be at least one person who'll counter the "not competitive enough with their prices" comment by saying that the prices offered by the competing wireless companies are in the same ballpark or not any better than the ones offered by AT&T.

[ Edited ]
16 of 22 (3,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2012 6:34:49 PM
(0)
Professor

Has AT&T turned off Edge yet? i understand this was suppose to be last month.

hello!!!

17 of 22 (3,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2012 6:46:24 PM
(0)
Master

graphite07 wrote:

It will vary by market and their need for the spectrum used by Edge.

graphite07 wrote:

It will vary by market and their need for the spectrum used by Edge.

18 of 22 (3,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2012 7:30:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

anton697 wrote:

tenant13 wrote:

I resisted the urge to welcome tenant13 to T-Mobile since this is an AT&T forum.  I'm a T-Mobile customer, as well.  T-Mobile has its pros and cons like any other carrier.  As a customer, you really have to stay on top of what the company is doing, because they like to make changes with poor notification.

Other than that, he should be fine.  Since he was used to Edge-only speeds on AT&T, the speed restrictions on the iPhone shouldn't be a problem for tenant13.

anton697 wrote:

tenant13 wrote:

I resisted the urge to welcome tenant13 to T-Mobile since this is an AT&T forum.  I'm a T-Mobile customer, as well.  T-Mobile has its pros and cons like any other carrier.  As a customer, you really have to stay on top of what the company is doing, because they like to make changes with poor notification.

Other than that, he should be fine.  Since he was used to Edge-only speeds on AT&T, the speed restrictions on the iPhone shouldn't be a problem for tenant13.

19 of 22 (3,338 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 8:48:10 AM
(0)
Teacher

graphite07 wrote:

Not in California. There are vast areas here that don't have 3G coverage, in addition there are many "3G" areas that I can't get a connection UNLESS I turn off 3G (just had to do that last week in Sacramento). Finally, there are even some areas where I drop down to the basic GPRS because there isn't a strong enough 3G or EDGE signal.

graphite07 wrote:

Not in California. There are vast areas here that don't have 3G coverage, in addition there are many "3G" areas that I can't get a connection UNLESS I turn off 3G (just had to do that last week in Sacramento). Finally, there are even some areas where I drop down to the basic GPRS because there isn't a strong enough 3G or EDGE signal.

20 of 22 (3,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 2:37:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

romad wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

LOL I'm sure some (pro-AT&T) folks will chime in and say that it's probably an issue with your phone because they get a (strong) 3G signal no matter where they are.  I can actually sympathize with your because I live in the Sacramento area and I can attest to the fact that there are definitely areas in Sacramento where 3G coverage is spotty at best.  Yes I know Sacramento ain't New York or San Francisco but it ain't some small podunk town either...

romad wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

LOL I'm sure some (pro-AT&T) folks will chime in and say that it's probably an issue with your phone because they get a (strong) 3G signal no matter where they are.  I can actually sympathize with your because I live in the Sacramento area and I can attest to the fact that there are definitely areas in Sacramento where 3G coverage is spotty at best.  Yes I know Sacramento ain't New York or San Francisco but it ain't some small podunk town either...

21 of 22 (3,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 3:35:41 PM
(0)
Expert

anton697 wrote:

romad wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

not all carriers phones work perfectly in all locations, personally in LA, San diego and Sacramento I would nver use my ATT phone, Verizon has the edge for service there with sprint coming in last

anton697 wrote:

romad wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

not all carriers phones work perfectly in all locations, personally in LA, San diego and Sacramento I would nver use my ATT phone, Verizon has the edge for service there with sprint coming in last

22 of 22 (3,250 Views)