Will Unlocked Nokia e6 require smartphone data plan?

Tutor

Will Unlocked Nokia e6 require smartphone data plan?

I'm in the middle of a contract and really would like to get a new phone. I'm thinking about getting the Nokia e6-00 ( or the n8) off of Amazon, but I don't want to make any changes to the plan ( family plan, unlimited non-smartphone data, unlimited texts, 700 minutes ). If I just get the phone and put my sim card in it, will there be any problems, or changes? 

Message 1 of 7
Expert

Re: Will Unlocked Nokia e6 require smartphone data plan?

stephen45 wrote:

I'm in the middle of a contract and really would like to get a new phone. I'm thinking about getting the Nokia e6-00 ( or the n8) off of Amazon, but I don't want to make any changes to the plan ( family plan, unlimited non-smartphone data, unlimited texts, 700 minutes ). If I just get the phone and put my sim card in it, will there be any problems, or changes? 

smartphone = required data plan, if you dont put one on it and the carrier finds out they wiil add one. A qmd device data paln is not valid for a smarthphone

Message 2 of 7
Tutor

Even though the Nokia e6 is unlocked and unsubsidized and never been sold by AT&T? I've just seen somone online saying they didn't have a smartphone plan with that phone. 

Message 3 of 7
Employee

System probablyvdidnt recognize it. But it might in the future. You never know
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

stephen45 wrote:

Even though the Nokia e6 is unlocked and unsubsidized and never been sold by AT&T? I've just seen somone online saying they didn't have a smartphone plan with that phone. 

I know people using N8, E7 without a smartphone data plan being added by AT&T, so E6 will likely be the same. The automated system will probably not recognize it as a smartphone and it's not on any list published by AT&T as a phone that requires a data plan.

That being said, if someone manually reviews your account (say for excessive data use) they'll most likely flag it for a smartphone plan. If you're planning to not use any data at all, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

P.S. You won't even be able to add a smartphone data plan through the online account management system with an E6.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 7
Tutor

i am a nokia e6 user and did not have to buy a data plan, AT&T doesnt know it is a smartphone, however, after 3 months my MMS messaging settings stopped working. and I dont know why and need help in another thread.
Message 6 of 7
Master

stephen45 wrote:

I use an E7 and haven't had any issues with at&t adding a smartphone data plan to my account; in fact as previously indicated by dmapr, the only data options available to choose within my on-line account access are the non-smartphone data plans.  That being said, I don't use large amounts of data as I primarily use the phone for e-mail, with only occasional data use.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support