Will Unlocked Nokia e6 require smartphone data plan?

Tutor

Will Unlocked Nokia e6 require smartphone data plan?

I'm in the middle of a contract and really would like to get a new phone. I'm thinking about getting the Nokia e6-00 ( or the n8) off of Amazon, but I don't want to make any changes to the plan ( family plan, unlimited non-smartphone data, unlimited texts, 700 minutes ). If I just get the phone and put my sim card in it, will there be any problems, or changes? 

Message 1 of 7 (2,410 Views)
Expert

Re: Will Unlocked Nokia e6 require smartphone data plan?

stephen45 wrote:

I'm in the middle of a contract and really would like to get a new phone. I'm thinking about getting the Nokia e6-00 ( or the n8) off of Amazon, but I don't want to make any changes to the plan ( family plan, unlimited non-smartphone data, unlimited texts, 700 minutes ). If I just get the phone and put my sim card in it, will there be any problems, or changes? 

smartphone = required data plan, if you dont put one on it and the carrier finds out they wiil add one. A qmd device data paln is not valid for a smarthphone

Message 2 of 7 (2,384 Views)
Tutor

Even though the Nokia e6 is unlocked and unsubsidized and never been sold by AT&T? I've just seen somone online saying they didn't have a smartphone plan with that phone. 

Message 3 of 7 (2,381 Views)
Employee

System probablyvdidnt recognize it. But it might in the future. You never know
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 7 (2,353 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

stephen45 wrote:

Even though the Nokia e6 is unlocked and unsubsidized and never been sold by AT&T? I've just seen somone online saying they didn't have a smartphone plan with that phone. 

I know people using N8, E7 without a smartphone data plan being added by AT&T, so E6 will likely be the same. The automated system will probably not recognize it as a smartphone and it's not on any list published by AT&T as a phone that requires a data plan.

That being said, if someone manually reviews your account (say for excessive data use) they'll most likely flag it for a smartphone plan. If you're planning to not use any data at all, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

P.S. You won't even be able to add a smartphone data plan through the online account management system with an E6.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 7 (2,332 Views)
Tutor

i am a nokia e6 user and did not have to buy a data plan, AT&T doesnt know it is a smartphone, however, after 3 months my MMS messaging settings stopped working. and I dont know why and need help in another thread.
Message 6 of 7 (2,245 Views)
Master

stephen45 wrote:

I use an E7 and haven't had any issues with at&t adding a smartphone data plan to my account; in fact as previously indicated by dmapr, the only data options available to choose within my on-line account access are the non-smartphone data plans.  That being said, I don't use large amounts of data as I primarily use the phone for e-mail, with only occasional data use.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 7 of 7 (2,186 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.