Will MicroCell Work Through Firewall at Work?

Tutor

Will MicroCell Work Through Firewall at Work?

I get horrible reception at work.  A coworker and I were thinking of splitting the cost of a MicroCell for us to use at work.  We both have the iPhone 4S.  The network at work blocks Facebook, Twitter, and streaming.  Would we be able to access these sites through the MicroCell? 

I like to listen to Yahoo! Radio through my iPhone.  It is blocked by our company's firewall.  My coworker wants to update his Facebook occasionally during the week.  This is also blocked.  If these two things wouldn't work, it wouldn't be worth it for us to buy a MicroCell.

We were wondering if our company's network would see all MicroCell activity as just traffic to and from AT&T, rather than being an audio stream or traffic to Facebook.   I appreciate any input you can provide.

Message 1 of 5 (828 Views)
Guru

Re: Will MicroCell Work Through Firewall at Work?

My guess is that the Microcell will not work behind your company's firewall.  However, if you buy a MC you have 30 days to return it.  It might be worth the time to give it a try.  That's the only way you'll know for sure.

Message 2 of 5 (814 Views)
ACE - Master

But given the problems that the MicroCell has with iPhone 4Ss for a lot of folks it would be hard to tell if the problems were due to the firewall or something else. Unless the MicroCell just didn't flat out work at all and even then, that's no guarantee that it's the firewall.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5 (811 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

Yes, but again, there's no way to be sure either way without actually trying it.

If I read all the gloom and doom on this forum before I got my MC I never would've bought it.  I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess, because my problems have been far and few between, including we've had a number of 4S visitors here and they've had no problem with our MC.  My wife's iPhone 4 has never had an issue.  

If I were in the OP's situation I'd give a MC a go and if it's unsat in a week or so...bring it back.

Message 4 of 5 (808 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

epineda wrote:

I get horrible reception at work.  A coworker and I were thinking of splitting the cost of a MicroCell for us to use at work.  We both have the iPhone 4S.  The network at work blocks Facebook, Twitter, and streaming.  Would we be able to access these sites through the MicroCell? 

I like to listen to Yahoo! Radio through my iPhone.  It is blocked by our company's firewall.  My coworker wants to update his Facebook occasionally during the week.  This is also blocked.  If these two things wouldn't work, it wouldn't be worth it for us to buy a MicroCell.

We were wondering if our company's network would see all MicroCell activity as just traffic to and from AT&T, rather than being an audio stream or traffic to Facebook.   I appreciate any input you can provide.

So you work for a company that has strict internet rules and restrictions, yet you think they'll be fine with you plugging a microcell into their network and using it to circumvent the very restrictions and internet use policies they've created and enforce?

You realize they are going to notice the new device plugged into thier network?  It's not like they will not be aware it is there and in use.  Just what are the consequences of trying to bypass their at-work internet use policies?  At my place of work, it would be grounds for immediate termination.

Message 5 of 5 (797 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.