Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 3, 2012
6:02:29 AM
View profile
Will I get the $99 version or be forced to pay more for a Lumia 900?

I purchased my Samsung Focus on day one of sales in 2010. I now want a Nokia Lumia 900 on Sunday and it has not been two years? Will att allow the upgrade or will they tow the line and make me pay full price?

I purchased my Samsung Focus on day one of sales in 2010. I now want a Nokia Lumia 900 on Sunday and it has not been two years? Will att allow the upgrade or will they tow the line and make me pay full price?

Will I get the $99 version or be forced to pay more for a Lumia 900?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 7:12:02 AM
(0)
Employee

if you bought your focus in 2010... you should be close to your 2-year upgrade. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Will I get the $99 version or be forced to pay more for a Lumia 900?

2 of 9 (1,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 8:22:53 AM
(0)
Professor

aBenjamin wrote:

I know that I am close, I just wonder if att will honor the $99 fee for an upgrade at 20 months and not 24 months.

aBenjamin wrote:

I know that I am close, I just wonder if att will honor the $99 fee for an upgrade at 20 months and not 24 months.

3 of 9 (1,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 11:20:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Check your OLAM on this website or use Best Buy's upgrade checker to see your upgrade date.

Check your OLAM on this website or use Best Buy's upgrade checker to see your upgrade date.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (1,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 12:06:27 PM
(0)
Professor

Thanks for everybody's help. The issue here is not the upgrade eligeability though. I know that att requires two years to get a full upgrade. I purchased my phone on September the 13th 2010, the first day that Samsung Focus was available in the US. My question is, is there any possibility of an exception to the policy as I am trying to remain loyay to att and WP to upgrade to a better phone within the WP series for the $99 price point, or will they really defer my business to September when I would get a WP8 handset. This way they make an extra $100 bucks off of me as I'll get the WP8 handset when it comes out anyway.

Just wondering. And yes I did query the computer system and after 10 years of Windows Mobile handsets and now a WP handset, the computer states the policy requirement which is 24 months with an upgrade being eligeable Sep 13, 2012.

Thanks for everybody's help. The issue here is not the upgrade eligeability though. I know that att requires two years to get a full upgrade. I purchased my phone on September the 13th 2010, the first day that Samsung Focus was available in the US. My question is, is there any possibility of an exception to the policy as I am trying to remain loyay to att and WP to upgrade to a better phone within the WP series for the $99 price point, or will they really defer my business to September when I would get a WP8 handset. This way they make an extra $100 bucks off of me as I'll get the WP8 handset when it comes out anyway.

Just wondering. And yes I did query the computer system and after 10 years of Windows Mobile handsets and now a WP handset, the computer states the policy requirement which is 24 months with an upgrade being eligeable Sep 13, 2012.

5 of 9 (1,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 1:13:51 PM
(0)
Explorer
ATT does not require 2 full years before eligible for an upgrade. Your upgrade date is different from the date your contract ends. So yes..it is a question of upgrade eligibility.

Many things can effect date you are eligible for an upgrade (such as payment history) so you will need to call or access your account online to know your specific date.
ATT does not require 2 full years before eligible for an upgrade. Your upgrade date is different from the date your contract ends. So yes..it is a question of upgrade eligibility.

Many things can effect date you are eligible for an upgrade (such as payment history) so you will need to call or access your account online to know your specific date.

6 of 9 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 5:32:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

I think the standard upgrade eligibility is 18 months (a year and half), so I could check via your online account manager.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]

I think the standard upgrade eligibility is 18 months (a year and half), so I could check via your online account manager.

7 of 9 (1,130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2012 5:44:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

If you have had AT&T for a couple of years and are a valued customer they will give you the upgrade for $99 to a Lumia 900. I bought my Samsung Focus on its release day and I called AT&T and they gave me the upgrade to the Lumia 900 for $99.

If you have had AT&T for a couple of years and are a valued customer they will give you the upgrade for $99 to a Lumia 900. I bought my Samsung Focus on its release day and I called AT&T and they gave me the upgrade to the Lumia 900 for $99.

8 of 9 (1,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2012 7:50:14 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Apr 30, 2012 at 7:52:00 AM

The upgrade eligibility caculation is complicated. It has nothing to do with how long you have been an AT&T customer, nor it requires to be 24-months. There are many factors involved (and AT&T never really reveals the detail) but one thing is certain, it has a lot to do with how much you paid monthly for your line. The more you pay, the less you have to wait.

For example, I bought original Focus at release day for my son's line (family plan). His eligibility date is July, 2012. I bought my Captivate on Aug. 2010 for my line and my eligibility date is Dec, 2011.

If you are within 30-day for your eligibility date, most AT&T store will give you the upgrade. If you are not, you have to pay early upgrade fee which is now $250 (up from $75).

The upgrade eligibility caculation is complicated. It has nothing to do with how long you have been an AT&T customer, nor it requires to be 24-months. There are many factors involved (and AT&T never really reveals the detail) but one thing is certain, it has a lot to do with how much you paid monthly for your line. The more you pay, the less you have to wait.

For example, I bought original Focus at release day for my son's line (family plan). His eligibility date is July, 2012. I bought my Captivate on Aug. 2010 for my line and my eligibility date is Dec, 2011.

If you are within 30-day for your eligibility date, most AT&T store will give you the upgrade. If you are not, you have to pay early upgrade fee which is now $250 (up from $75).

[ Edited ]
9 of 9 (1,035 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments