Will At&t give 2nd gen WP users a play

Will At&t give 2nd gen WP users a play

Hopefuly you guys and Microsoft can let us Lumina 900, Focus S, Titan2, Titan and other 2nd gen buyers a break on WP8 devices without having to pay full price. I would extend my contract and all

Message 1 of 14 (3,294 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Will At&t give 2nd gen WP users a play

drjekel_mrhyde wrote:

Hopefuly you guys and Microsoft can let us Lumina 900, Focus S, Titan2, Titan and other 2nd gen buyers a break on WP8 devices without having to pay full price. I would extend my contract and all

I bought a titan off ebay since the "secret" of no upgrade path to wp8 was the worst kept secret ever, and I wanted to get the device upgrade discount on a WP8 phone. You may have to live with WP7.8 until you're eligible for upgrade.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14 (3,265 Views)
Scholar

AT&T doesn't give discounts. They give more choices by removing the plans that people prefer and and that will make them more money.  Remember when they eliminated the $5 for 200 text messages plan and now force everyone to get the $20 for unlimited text plan?  Yep.  More choices - ONE.

Don't ever expect AT&T to do something that doesn't maximize their profits.  None of their meetings ever have the topic of "how can we do more for our customers" but they MAY have one like "how can we make the customers BELIEVE we are doing more for them?"

Message 3 of 14 (3,251 Views)

[ Edited ]

Not AT&T, Microsoft should be the one to foot the bill for a new phone for all of us that got shafted. I had a Samsung Focus but after updating to mango it was plagued with so many problems that Microsoft could not fix or help me with so I upgraded to a Lumia 900. When Windows Phone 8 is released there wont be any more WP7 apps being made. All WP7 devices are going to become bricks.

Microsoft has a lot of money, they can give everybody a free high end WP8 device for free. It will be like nothing to them.

Message 4 of 14 (3,243 Views)
Teacher

Hoping they or Nokia does something. Especially being that Microsoft emplyee's as well those of ATT made statements of course the Lumia 900 at least will get upgraded. So yes I guess that upgrade means will look like a WP8 yet be a pretty brick in the end.
Mind you I paid off contract for this also.
Would be nice to get at least a break on the newer ones coming out.
Message 5 of 14 (3,237 Views)
Tutor

I got a Titan II 3 days before the big Microsoft announcement re no upgrade path.  I had been assured by att that Win 7.5 phones would be upgradeable.  Yeah, I go bent over on that one. 

Message 6 of 14 (3,233 Views)
Scholar

I bought a Titan RIGHT before the Titan II came out and talked multiple people into buying the Titan II and Lumia 900. 

BUT

The only thing I'm bummed about is that they aren't including every possible feature in 7.8 that WILL work.  Of course we all knew that many of the new features of 8 weren't going to work (external storage, dual core, etc) but I assumed we'd get the other features like Nokia Maps that clearly WILL work.  I'm hoping since there's time that they will pack as much as they can into 7.8.  If they do that (and there is still a chance that they will), we should all be estatic.  If it were Apple, instead of calling it 7.8, they'd call it 8 and just not have the features in it because it sounds better.

-Mc

Message 7 of 14 (3,222 Views)
ACE - Professor

spahjrp wrote:

I got a Titan II 3 days before the big Microsoft announcement re no upgrade path.  I had been assured by att that Win 7.5 phones would be upgradeable.  Yeah, I go bent over on that one. 

It's upgradable... to 7.8 - you get most of the eye candy, but not maps. Nokia maps/nav as standard in wp8 is probably the major upgrade that's missing (unless you got a nokia wp7.5 device) in the 7.8 upgrade.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 14 (3,211 Views)
Professor

I was looking forward to WP8 on my next phone.  I really needed the external SD storage, so a 7.5 device wouldn't work for me.  Now I am very glad I didn't get the lumia.  After seeing that Microsoft is going to be abandoning old hardware, I think I will be getting the Galaxy SIII.

Message 9 of 14 (3,157 Views)
Scholar

Technically, we don't know that 7.8 won't bring Nokia Maps or any of the other non-hardware specific 8.0 upgrades.  Microsoft is still working out the details.  Personally, I don't have much hope we'll get Nokia Maps but I do think we'll get more of the WP8 upgrades than were announced at the summit that will work on our devices.

Message 10 of 14 (3,121 Views)
Teacher

I don't see how so many people can be so upset, its not like your phone suddenly stopped working, and no developer is going to just drop 7.x phones either. If it was a good phone before, its still a good phone now. Most of the Wp8 stuff is hardware dependant, plus we don't all know exactly what will be in the 7.8 updater
Message 11 of 14 (3,102 Views)
Scholar

The problem isn't that the phone will stop working.  The problem is that I purchased a Windows Phone with the promise that all the big name apps will come down the road.  Well, we now know that not to be true.  Developers aren't going to waste their time developing WP7 apps now that WP7 is dead.  So now, we're pretty much stuck at the apps we already have, except for a few more to come every now and then.

Some will say to just purchase a WP8 phone when it comes out and the answer is I probably will.  The big problem I have with that is I will have to re-purchase my apps when they are re-written for WP8.  Yes, I am aware that WP7 apps will run on WP8, but I also am aware that many apps will be re-written to run specifically on WP8.  Are we to assume that Microsoft is going to "reboot" their mobile phone strategy every 18 months and start from scratch?  One of the big points Microsoft touted in WP7 is that their platform will not be fragmented like Android.  Well guess what, it is now fragmented, just like Android.

Message 12 of 14 (3,087 Views)

Kredrian wrote:
I don't see how so many people can be so upset, its not like your phone suddenly stopped working, and no developer is going to just drop 7.x phones either. If it was a good phone before, its still a good phone now. Most of the Wp8 stuff is hardware dependant, plus we don't all know exactly what will be in the 7.8 updater

Developers are going to drop WP7 devices because WP8 apps require very little work to work on Windows 8. There is no need to make WP7 apps anymore. WP7 apps will work on WP8 devices but WP8 apps wont work on WP7 devices.

Message 13 of 14 (3,078 Views)
Scholar

First, there is no SDK for WP8 yet and if they code for WP7, it is 100% compatible with WP8.  Why *NOT* code for WP7?  It's going to be a year or more before we see WP8 exclusive apps.  The code is identical between them, they just compile it for one or the other.  This should be the least of our worries...

Message 14 of 14 (3,068 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.