Ask a question

Posted Sep 18, 2011
    1:20:21 PM
    View profile
    Will Android operating system satisfy a die-hard Microsoft business-focus user?
    Edited by LRPM on Sep 18, 2011 at 1:21:19 PM

I'm a die-hard user of Microsoft business apps - Office, SharePoint, Dynamics CRM, etc.  I have a HTC Tilt2 w/ the Windows 6.5 operating system.  I am ready to upgrade but am not pleased with the current device options being touted for the Windows 7.5 release - no physical keyboards.  

The only other operating system I'd consider is Android but I'm not sure how good it is for business use - Exchange email, mobile Office apps, etc.

Can anyone give me some insight please?

Will Android operating system satisfy a die-hard Microsoft business-focus user?

[ Edited ]
    5 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (5)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 19, 2011 5:42:49 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    I have an android device, and so does several on my team at work. With it, i can acces Webex meetings using the app available at the Android Market. I utilize SharePoint regularly at work as well but i dont have a need yet to access our SharePoint site from my device.

I came from the HTC Tilt 2 and i can tell you now, the moment you try an android device you will see a startling difference from the Tilt and winmo.

No stickiness, no lagging , no frozen screens! I use a Dell Streak 5 so the screen is fairly large. No physical keyboard like the Tilt 2 and i was hesatant for a long time giving the keyboard up for a virtual pad. Surprisingly i have grown to like it (even though i also have a bluetooth keypad)

Hopefully others will post regarding their business experience using an Android device and apps for accessing corporate office remote access to mal servers, urls, shared sites and such

Good luck with your choice for upgrading. I can say android is a great platform to move from the HTC Tilt2
    Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

Re: Will Android operating system satisfy a die-hard Microsoft business-focus user?

2 of 6 (635 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 20, 2011 1:45:40 PM
    (0)
    Guru

I can't speak as to the sync capabilities, since in my case, going from the Tilt2 to the Infuse was a MASSIVE improvement in sync capabilities as I'm a gmail user.

I will say that I got tired of waiting for a device with a hardware keyboard - if you want this with Android on AT&T you will unfortunately have to settle for some fairly poor (low-spec, bad firmware, locked bootloader) Motorola junkers.

I was hesitant to go to a touchscreen-only device, but the Infuse was the first Android device with a touchkeyboard I could tolerate.  After a few tweaks I've found that I really like it - I'm almost as fast with it as a hardkeyboard, and everything else about the device blows away the old Tilt2.

FYI it is possible to boot Android on the Tilt2, however it is a bit flaky.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

Re: Will Android operating system satisfy a die-hard Microsoft business-focus user?

3 of 6 (626 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 24, 2011 10:13:46 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Edited by RicoLX on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:15:53 AM

Entropy512 wrote:

I can't speak as to the sync capabilities, since in my case, going from the Tilt2 to the Infuse was a MASSIVE improvement in sync capabilities as I'm a gmail user.

I will say that I got tired of waiting for a device with a hardware keyboard - if you want this with Android on AT&T you will unfortunately have to settle for some fairly poor (low-spec, bad firmware, locked bootloader) Motorola junkers.

I was hesitant to go to a touchscreen-only device, but the Infuse was the first Android device with a touchkeyboard I could tolerate.  After a few tweaks I've found that I really like it - I'm almost as fast with it as a hardkeyboard, and everything else about the device blows away the old Tilt2.

FYI it is possible to boot Android on the Tilt2, however it is a bit flaky.

I agree with Entropy512  on all of the above.   The Tilt was my #1 phone of choice because i loved the physical keyboard! i had even put aside the hassle of the windows stickiness and hanging , even some unresponsive screen (scarey moments) simply because the phone had a physical keyboard.

Not sure what the  political reasons are behind ATT not bringing more phones onboard with physicl key pads, but i held out as long as i could too (check out CellPhone Simetery in the forum where my Tilt2 is finally "resting in pieces")

Needless to say, the very moment i switched to Android and got a phone surprisingly without a physical keypad, was the best phone i moved up to!   I do have a blue tooth keypad that i bought separately for my Dell Streak, but it had a snag or two and had to get a new replacement keypad. but it is JUST as good as a physical phone keypad and better (you can sit the phone down while typing with the keypad)

bluetoothkb2.jpg

[ Edited ]
    4 of 6 (608 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2011 10:06:18 AM
    (0)
    Guru

Yeah, I had the same reservations, coming from the 3 different HTC devices with physical keyboards.

I too held out because I tried a friend iphone and HATED the on screen keyboard.  I bit the bullet last fall and got

a Dell Streak, figuring the 5" screen in landscape mode would give enough size to the keyboard.

I was IMPRESSED at the responsiveness of the swift-X tablet keyboard app, and wouldn't miss a hardware keyboard at all.

Even with the lack of support from at&t & Dell, it's a great device.  I'm still hanging with 2.2.2 because this is pretty much my

work lifeline, and they are still having a couple of little qwirks with 2.3.x

My next phone?  Definately will be an Android device of some sort.

keyboard

5 of 6 (596 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2011 10:15:04 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Edited by RicoLX on Sep 25, 2011 at 10:15:49 AM

p51d007 wrote:

Yeah, I had the same reservations, coming from the 3 different HTC devices with physical keyboards.

I too held out because I tried a friend iphone and HATED the on screen keyboard.  I bit the bullet last fall and got

a Dell Streak, figuring the 5" screen in landscape mode would give enough size to the keyboard.

I was IMPRESSED at the responsiveness of the swift-X tablet keyboard app, and wouldn't miss a hardware keyboard at all.

Even with the lack of support from at&t & Dell, it's a great device.  I'm still hanging with 2.2.2 because this is pretty much my

work lifeline, and they are still having a couple of little qwirks with 2.3.x

My next phone?  Definately will be an Android device of some sort.

From one Dell Streak 5 owner to another: you took the words right out of my mouth! I agree 100% despite any support from ATT or Dell, my Streak has got to be the BEST tablet/phone of its time and the BEST phone i have purchased!  I am still finding myself enjoying it just as i did when I first got it.  Actually got another STreak for the second line (literally weeks before Dell.com yanked it off the site).

I too, uses my Streak as a work lifeline! so, everything's unlimited on it and the current os is working flawlessly!

Glad to see you here! Hey post some screenshots if you get a moment in the Android Screenshot folder in this category!  Great meeting you, p51!

dell.jpgdellanim.gif

Re: keyboard

[ Edited ]
    6 of 6 (594 Views)