Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 4, 2012
10:43:11 PM
View profile
Will AT&T provide me with an unlock code?

I was on AT&T for about three months after being a Centennial Wireless customer for almost 10 years that refused to migrate until the last possible moment.  I got an offer that included a free Pantech Link II phone and no contract so I went with the offer to see how it went.  Well, I later decided I do not want AT&T and moved on to another carrier.  I now have this perfectly good and almost brand new Pantech phone that I could use for international travel in the future with an international SIM card I already have because even with its limitations is WAAAAY better than the international phone I have.

Since it was never under contract and it is already inactive I wonder if AT&T will provide me with an unlock code for this phone.  I switched to another carrier 2 weeks ago.

I was on AT&T for about three months after being a Centennial Wireless customer for almost 10 years that refused to migrate until the last possible moment.  I got an offer that included a free Pantech Link II phone and no contract so I went with the offer to see how it went.  Well, I later decided I do not want AT&T and moved on to another carrier.  I now have this perfectly good and almost brand new Pantech phone that I could use for international travel in the future with an international SIM card I already have because even with its limitations is WAAAAY better than the international phone I have.

Since it was never under contract and it is already inactive I wonder if AT&T will provide me with an unlock code for this phone.  I switched to another carrier 2 weeks ago.

Will AT&T provide me with an unlock code?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 7:20:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You can try, but most likely they won't. I believe their unlocking policy restricts it to current customers only.

You can try, but most likely they won't. I believe their unlocking policy restricts it to current customers only.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Will AT&T provide me with an unlock code?

2 of 5 (3,790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2012 4:33:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

I found some more info and it said that you had to have the device for more than 90 days.  I ditched the account one week short from 90 days so I didn't even bother.  Got an unlock code from eBay for 4 bucks and the phone is now unlocked.  However there seems to be a problem with the SIM card I intended to use with this phone as it won't show the number in the phone status screen.  My active SIM from my new carrier works perfectly in the now unlocked phone so I know it was unlocked properly.

I found some more info and it said that you had to have the device for more than 90 days.  I ditched the account one week short from 90 days so I didn't even bother.  Got an unlock code from eBay for 4 bucks and the phone is now unlocked.  However there seems to be a problem with the SIM card I intended to use with this phone as it won't show the number in the phone status screen.  My active SIM from my new carrier works perfectly in the now unlocked phone so I know it was unlocked properly.

3 of 5 (3,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2012 12:31:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

As follow up.  I solved the issue with the international SIM card and now I can use it to place and receive calls using the unlocked Pantech phone like I wanted.  Not that it will become my everyday phone $$$$ but next time I travel internationally I will be able to use a much better phone.

As follow up.  I solved the issue with the international SIM card and now I can use it to place and receive calls using the unlocked Pantech phone like I wanted.  Not that it will become my everyday phone $$$$ but next time I travel internationally I will be able to use a much better phone.

4 of 5 (3,668 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2012 12:29:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Glad to hear you got it all working in the end.

Glad to hear you got it all working in the end.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (3,648 Views)