Wireless Forums

Posted Aug 26, 2008
9:08:57 AM
View profile
Will AT&T eventually provide underground (Metro) coverage?

Hello,

I'm just writing to ask if AT&T have plans to expand their network underground, particularly when riding the Metro. I'm located in the Washington DC Metro area. Thanks

Hello,

I'm just writing to ask if AT&T have plans to expand their network underground, particularly when riding the Metro. I'm located in the Washington DC Metro area. Thanks

Will AT&T eventually provide underground (Metro) coverage?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2008 10:15:54 AM
(0)
Master

aprice301 wrote:

Hello,

ATT and other carriers do not usually discuss their network expansion plans until they are ready to seek approval from the local authorities.  You may want to talk with the DC body that approves theses request to see if they have discussed this with ATT and/or if they would approach ATT?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

aprice301 wrote:

Hello,

ATT and other carriers do not usually discuss their network expansion plans until they are ready to seek approval from the local authorities.  You may want to talk with the DC body that approves theses request to see if they have discussed this with ATT and/or if they would approach ATT?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Will AT&T eventually provide underground (Metro) coverage?

2 of 8 (1,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2008 10:18:37 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by DWC1 on Aug 26, 2008 at 10:19:46 AM
The issue is not up to at&t.  Metro signed an exclusive agreement with Verizon over 10 years ago so at&t has not been allowed to extend coverage there.  The metro board put out a proposal for the installation of Neutral Host technology which would allow coverge by all wireless carriers in the underground sections of Metro.  I have not been able to find out what if any decision that Metro has made about this but rumors are that they will make it happen eventually.  The largest obstacle to making this happen is Metro dragging their feet and forcing carriers to pay them a cut of the revenue from calls in the Metro system for providing what in my opinion is a public service enhancement.

If you live in DC email your City Council member to complain.  If you live in VA, or MD complain to your local Metro Board member who represents you.

Message Edited by DWC1 on 08-26-2008 10:19:46 AM
The issue is not up to at&t.  Metro signed an exclusive agreement with Verizon over 10 years ago so at&t has not been allowed to extend coverage there.  The metro board put out a proposal for the installation of Neutral Host technology which would allow coverge by all wireless carriers in the underground sections of Metro.  I have not been able to find out what if any decision that Metro has made about this but rumors are that they will make it happen eventually.  The largest obstacle to making this happen is Metro dragging their feet and forcing carriers to pay them a cut of the revenue from calls in the Metro system for providing what in my opinion is a public service enhancement.

If you live in DC email your City Council member to complain.  If you live in VA, or MD complain to your local Metro Board member who represents you.

Message Edited by DWC1 on 08-26-2008 10:19:46 AM

[ Edited ]
3 of 8 (1,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2008 11:49:38 AM
(0)
Master

4 of 8 (1,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2008 12:29:05 PM
(0)
Contributor
    Thanks for the information, I kind of figured Verizon must have an exclusive deal with Metro, and I'm guessing Sprint has roaming capabilities to their network. Thanks again. Well I'm sticking with AT&T anyway. But was just wondering.
    Thanks for the information, I kind of figured Verizon must have an exclusive deal with Metro, and I'm guessing Sprint has roaming capabilities to their network. Thanks again. Well I'm sticking with AT&T anyway. But was just wondering.

5 of 8 (1,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2008 2:46:22 AM
(0)
Master
I wrote to my City Council Member who forwarded my mail to Metro for a response.  Here is what I received:

Thank you for your August 26, 2008 email to District of Columbia Councilmember and Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metro) Board member Jim Graham concerning cell phone service in the Metrorail system.   Mr. Graham forwarded your email to Metro for response.

In May, Metro's Information Technology department issued the Request for Proposal (RFP) for a new underground wireless system known as a "neutral host".  The RFP invited vendors to bid on the design, build, operation, and maintenance of the system.  This new system will provide the opportunity for all licensed cellular carriers to offer their services in Metro"s underground stations and tunnels.  It is one of the most complex and challenging technology projects that Metro will undertake over the next few years.

RFP responses were delivered to WMATA on August 26, and the selection of the final vendor is expected by November 1.  Approval by the Metro Board of Directors is directionally expected at year end, with construction slated to begin in the first quarter of 2009. 

The 4-year implementation schedule has established these directional milestones:

20 stations (not tunnels) within 12 months
20 Stations and tunnels within 24 months
All 47 stations and tunnels within 48 months

Thank you again for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Chief, Network and Communications Services
I wrote to my City Council Member who forwarded my mail to Metro for a response.  Here is what I received:

Thank you for your August 26, 2008 email to District of Columbia Councilmember and Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metro) Board member Jim Graham concerning cell phone service in the Metrorail system.   Mr. Graham forwarded your email to Metro for response.

In May, Metro's Information Technology department issued the Request for Proposal (RFP) for a new underground wireless system known as a "neutral host".  The RFP invited vendors to bid on the design, build, operation, and maintenance of the system.  This new system will provide the opportunity for all licensed cellular carriers to offer their services in Metro"s underground stations and tunnels.  It is one of the most complex and challenging technology projects that Metro will undertake over the next few years.

RFP responses were delivered to WMATA on August 26, and the selection of the final vendor is expected by November 1.  Approval by the Metro Board of Directors is directionally expected at year end, with construction slated to begin in the first quarter of 2009. 

The 4-year implementation schedule has established these directional milestones:

20 stations (not tunnels) within 12 months
20 Stations and tunnels within 24 months
All 47 stations and tunnels within 48 months

Sincerely,

6 of 8 (1,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2008 8:18:23 AM
(0)
Expert

DWC1 wrote:

• 20 stations (not tunnels) within 12 months
  • 20 Stations and tunnels within 24 months
  • All 47 stations and tunnels within 48 months
     Sincerely,

It sounds like they have a excellent plan in place to have this done, and the turn around of 4 years over all is a little long, but with what they have to work with is quite understandable.

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

DWC1 wrote:

• 20 stations (not tunnels) within 12 months
  • 20 Stations and tunnels within 24 months
  • All 47 stations and tunnels within 48 months
     Sincerely,

It sounds like they have a excellent plan in place to have this done, and the turn around of 4 years over all is a little long, but with what they have to work with is quite understandable.

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

7 of 8 (1,144 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2008 11:37:51 AM
(0)
Contributor
Good stuff DWC1. So i guess they do have a plan in place. Wow can you imagine how many people that could possibly switch to AT&T and even other carriers after that is implemented. Because if you hear like me, most of the people in the DC Metro area who buy's Verizon service is because they travel or may possibly travel the subway.
Good stuff DWC1. So i guess they do have a plan in place. Wow can you imagine how many people that could possibly switch to AT&T and even other carriers after that is implemented. Because if you hear like me, most of the people in the DC Metro area who buy's Verizon service is because they travel or may possibly travel the subway.

8 of 8 (1,122 Views)