Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 15, 2011
12:50:16 PM
View profile
Wifi without data plan

Hey guys,

I know you all probably see this post alot but in my research I never got a definitive answer.

I'm planning on purchasing the Huawei Impulse 4g but I don't have and don't want a data plan. I have restricted access to data with my account. I do not receive MMS messages and can't access the internet via AT&T network on my current phone. With this restriction, will I be charged for using my home wifi with the phone? I've read that it is possible to use wifi if you disable connections to AT&T, but with my work situation it would be in my best interest to be able to also make and receive calls while surfing the web on my phone.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I know you all probably see this post alot but in my research I never got a definitive answer.

I'm planning on purchasing the Huawei Impulse 4g but I don't have and don't want a data plan. I have restricted access to data with my account. I do not receive MMS messages and can't access the internet via AT&T network on my current phone. With this restriction, will I be charged for using my home wifi with the phone? I've read that it is possible to use wifi if you disable connections to AT&T, but with my work situation it would be in my best interest to be able to also make and receive calls while surfing the web on my phone.

Thanks!

Wifi without data plan

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 5:29:47 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 15, 2011 at 5:32:57 PM

akalilazn wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Skype is an option. You can find an app in the Android Market.

akalilazn wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Skype is an option. You can find an app in the Android Market.

Re: Wifi without data plan

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2012 12:57:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

If you have a smartphone, eventually AT&T will figure it out, and add a data plan to your account, even if you only use wifi. The only exception I've found is the Sony Ericsson C905, which has wifi and GPS once you debrand it.

If you have a smartphone, eventually AT&T will figure it out, and add a data plan to your account, even if you only use wifi. The only exception I've found is the Sony Ericsson C905, which has wifi and GPS once you debrand it.

3 of 4 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2012 11:50:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

Your post did not make this clear.  

A.  You want to use wifi to surf the net on your phone.

No you will not be charged.  Your not using the network.

B.  You want to connect your phone as a modem to like a Laptop.

Yes AT&T Will find out and you will get a BIG bill one day

Your post did not make this clear.  

A.  You want to use wifi to surf the net on your phone.

No you will not be charged.  Your not using the network.

B.  You want to connect your phone as a modem to like a Laptop.

Yes AT&T Will find out and you will get a BIG bill one day

4 of 4 (515 Views)