Wifi vs 3G

Highlighted
Contributor

Wifi vs 3G

I just got my first real smartphone (Samsung Focus running Windows Phone 7), and am confused about something.  I've only used its smartphone features while connected to a Wifi (at home and at work) but my account shows data useage.  I thought data was only counted against you when not connected to wifi. Explanation anyone?  Thanks!

-Chris

Message 1 of 4
Master

Re: Wifi vs 3G

Initially, you are correct. However, there could be a couple of factors as to why you were charged for data usage. It could have been that the Wi-Fi signal you were using was getting weak and needed an extra "boost" to load your webpage/other operation that requires a wireless connection. Therefore, based on common instinct, your phone switched over temporarily to 3G data while still connected to Wi-Fi. That is one scenario, but there could be many others that could have caused you to incur data usage.

A good suggestion to temporarily "stop" your phone from connecting to the Internet/other application via 3G data is to deactivate the data network. I'm sure that the Focus has this ability somewhere in the wireless/network settings. Then when you're done using Wi-Fi, switch the data network back on to use your phone as you normally would.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 4
Master

The wifi connection might have also gone to sleep whenever the screen is turned off and the 3G connection becomes active again.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 4
Master

Correct. I forgot about that one. Apparently Wi-Fi will not really "stay" connected as your main wireless source when your phone's screen goes blank. It will then switch over to the next available wireless technology, which is 3G data, eating up your monthly allowance.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support