Helpful Links

Wifi, distance?

Mentor

Wifi, distance?

Ok, this is my second HTC Tilt II, sent back the other one cause of problems, like WiFi signal distance bad. I have a att 2Wire Wireless Gateway, and if I am in the kitchen  downstairs about 20ft away I get real bad signal quality or strength. Are therer settings I need to change? I can use a laptop outside with same modem, but not the Tilt!

any thing I need to know?

Message 1 of 13
Master

Re: Wifi, distance?

It's probably your router then if this is your second Tilt. Make sure there are no frequency interferences (most of the 2Wire ones work off of 2.4ghz) so microwaves, phones, etc. might get in the way. You can try chaning your channel to 9 (usuallly recommended) and increasing the router's power level.
Message 2 of 13
Mentor

Change the channel on the tilt or the Router? If the router how do I do that?

thanks

Message 3 of 13
Master

On your router. If it's a 2Wire router, find your default gateway number (usually 192.168.x.xxx) and put that in your address bar. Your system summary should pop up. Go to the home network tab>edit settings (on the right)>enter password>wireless channel.

Message 4 of 13
Mentor

Well I did the channel thing and still no change. It must be the phone, because I can go outside and across the street with a laptop and still be able to connect.
Message 5 of 13
Master

Do you have any other WM devices you can test the wifi on?

Message 6 of 13
Mentor

Sorry no I do not, well I have a BJ II, but it doesnt have WiFi.
Message 7 of 13
Master

Try it with any other wifi-enabled device then. Also, what type of encryption does you network have?
Message 8 of 13
Mentor

I have no other WiFi, except laptop, which like I said before will work from across the street. I know nothing about encryption, I should not have to mess with any of that stuff.
Message 9 of 13
Master

mrekimf wrote:
I have no other WiFi, except laptop, which like I said before will work from across the street. I know nothing about encryption, I should not have to mess with any of that stuff.

If you don't have any other PDA that has wifi, then i'd suggest going for one more trade in. Wifi encyrption causes a lot of network issues at times.
Message 10 of 13
Professor

mrekimf wrote:

He is asking if your WiFi network is secure or not, do you need to enter a passwork when you first pair a device with your WiFi network?  If so, what is the encryption method (WEP, WPA, etc.)?  Its very basic stuff, and you should know it if you have a WiFi network set up.

Any places nearby that have free WiFi (your work, Panera, local coffee shops)?  Try testing the Tilt at those locations and see if you have better luck on other routers. 

Message 11 of 13
Mentor

Oh, sorry, now I know what you mean!

It is set as "Open WEP"

I will try to go out when I can to test on other WiFi's.

thanks

Message 12 of 13
Highlighted
Professor

Yeah, try it out at some other WiFi spots.  I would say if you are having this much trouble at home, and also have trouble on other WiFi networks, then there must be something wrong with the phone.  I had absolutely no trouble signing onto my home WiFi router, and many public locations, with the Tilt 2 on stock settings.

Also, have you tried the obvious things, like power cycling the router, and rebooting the computer and modem that its hooked up to?  Also, try turning of the laptop.  I know my router sometimes has trouble when 2 laptops are signed on at the same time, even though it should easily be able to handle this.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support