Wifi and data plan

Contributor

Wifi and data plan

I am using my home wifi connection on my iphone.  If I am on wifi am I using my data time?  I believe not, but just want to double check, so I am not wracking up data time at home.

Message 1 of 4 (1,072 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Wifi and data plan

no you are not. Turn off 3g data or even put it in airplane mode if you want to assure yourself its not.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4 (1,004 Views)
ACE - Master

When you are using wifi, you are not counting against your plans data limits,  but do be aware, that you may not be using wifi as much as you think you are.  If you are in a wifi area, but you allow your phone to go into standby mode, it will rutn off the wifi radio and revert back to using the cellular data network (which does count against your plans data limits).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4 (980 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Note that not all features are covered through WiFi. Cellular based features including your voicemail, sms/mms, and the phantom data service will ping for 3G data now and then. You can go to settings/general/network/data off but you will not receive any of these cellular based features until it is reactivated.

Message 4 of 4 (924 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.