WiFi Connectivity

Scholar

WiFi Connectivity

I've had a Belkin wireless G for 5 yrs. and it works
perfectly wired and wifi. I bought new smartphones for wife and myself (Samsung
Captivate / Galaxy S). First time with smartphone.

This problem is driving me crazy. I decided to upgrade to
wireless N for better wifi speed. In the last 2 weeks I've had  Belkin N300,  D-Link 601 something or other, Belkin N600,  and now a Belkin N150. I've had to return
them all. I never could get the D-Link to work at all with wifi.

After I turned power off on my network system, and brought
it back,  I couldn't get these routers
to link up again.  Weird.  I spent hours on the phone with tech support
with all these routers, and they couldn't solve it.  They had me change and try many, 
many configurations in the wireless config.  This was with all 4 routers.

I began wondering if it was our Captivate phones.  So, 
I went to a at&t hot spot and they worked instantly.  I went to 2 of my friends houses,  put in the pw and instantly my phone linked up.

I'm at my wits end wondering whats wrong. I now have old
dependable in place.  As soon as I boot
up the old Belkin wireless G, instantly I have wireless service.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd really like to use wireless N.

Thanks,  Bill

Message 1 of 5 (305 Views)
Master

Re: WiFi Connectivity

Have you checked out the forums for the manufacturer?  I would also check out www.dslreports.com  They have forums for many of the manufactures.  I am thinking they have a bad router firmware version that is not working right?  I would update the router to the most current version available on their site.

I personaly use the Airport Extreme and have not had issues with connectivity.  I have also previously used many of the D-links with similar results but some of their firmware versions were flakey.  

Good Luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 5 (304 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

"After I turned power off on my network system, and brought
it back,  I couldn't get these routers
to link up again.  Weird"

First, I am going to assume for the moment that the tech support instructed you to save your changes.

If all four routers behave in the same way, then the problem may not be in the routers. Chances are very rare that all 4 routers are out of order. Also your Captivate tested good at your friends' house. It sounds like all 4 routers have a conflict with another device in your system but the G router does not conflict with the other device. To start, here's a question: which of the following is true?

1. I have a dsl modem that is separate from the router
  2. I have a cable modem that is separate from the router.
  3. I have a "xyz" modem that is separate from the router.
  4. I use the built-in modem in the router itself. The router is the only box for my network(beside the mobile devices, computers and others.)

A sketch is worth a thousand words.

Message 3 of 5 (286 Views)
Scholar

It wasn't the routers that have a problem.  It's the Captivate (According to what I've read,  Android in general seems to have somewhat of an issue with wifi).  I think the Captivate is a great phone except for this annoying wifi thing.

I've reposted a new subject with a workaround. from Samsung.

"  Wifi problem with Captivate (Work around I have) "

Message 4 of 5 (259 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

tucson146 wrote:

It wasn't the routers that have a problem.  It's the Captivate (According to what I've read,  Android in general seems to have somewhat of an issue with wifi).  I think the Captivate is a great phone except for this annoying wifi thing.

I've reposted a new subject with a workaround. from Samsung.

"  Wifi problem with Captivate (Work around I have) "

Thanks for your update. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5 (248 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.