Wi-Fi charges???

Highlighted
Contributor

Wi-Fi charges???

AT&T promotes the fact that using its Hot-Spots saves (not charged) on data usage. My question is, does the same apply to non-AT&T Wi-Fi connections??? Example, in airports, hotels, train stations, book stores etc. Are those connections free as well? Also, I might include home Wi-Fi connections through Verizon or Cablevision.

Any help in answering these question would be most appreciated.

Thanks, 

~D

Message 1 of 4 (559 Views)
Master

Re: Wi-Fi charges???

[ Edited ]

tarrtec wrote:

AT&T promotes the fact that using its Hot-Spots saves (not charged) on data usage. My question is, does the same apply to non-AT&T Wi-Fi connections??? Example, in airports, hotels, train stations, book stores etc. Are those connections free as well? Also, I might include home Wi-Fi connections through Verizon or Cablevision.

Thanks, 

~D

It depends on the provider of the hot spot.   They determine what if anything you have to pay to use their hotspot.  It will not get charged to your cell bill. Many providers of wifi do not charge as it attracks business to their location.  I know a coffee shop that provides 90 minutes of wifi for free with purchase. They will also sell you wifi time if you do not want to buy somehting but they discourage that as their goal is to sell coffee and food and not wifi.  They just don't want all-day squaters.

At home if it is your wifi, you pay for data through your ISP that you have at home but you will not be using your cellular data.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 4 (552 Views)
Expert

tarrtec wrote:

Thanks, 

~D

hotels - can be free if you are a guest or there maybe a charge, the tos for the room will tell you, if you are not a gues mire then likely not

airports - most are chargeable as a part of the airport infrastructure

train stations - no idea have not taken a train inf 50 years

Message 3 of 4 (544 Views)

Generally speaking, no. AT&T does not have agreements in place to subsidize wi-fi wherever you might go. AT&T's offer of free wi-fi extends to their network.

As far as hotels go, less expensive hotels usually give free wi-fi, while those hotels aimed at luxury & business travelers often charge (although they might waive fees for affinity club members with sufficient status).

Airports and train stations are hit or miss. Some have a third-party carrier like Boingo or T-Mobile who charge for wi-fi access. Other stations provide it free. In those that don't provide it for free, carrier lounges (like American's Admiral Lounges) often provide complimentary access. While membership isn't free, credit cards are now increasingly offering miles and lounge access as a perk.

Many mom & pop shops, and even some chains, offer free wi-fi (or free with a password provided by the proprietor). Panera Bread offers free wi-fi, and there's a local coffee shop that's very popular with the freelancer and grad student crowd in the neighborhood.

Message 4 of 4 (512 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.