Wi-Fi Phone Calls in Europe?

Wi-Fi Phone Calls in Europe?

I have an iPhone4 bought in the US.

I plan to visit Europe.

I have found plenty of info about how to sign up for services to protect my phone from high charges for 3G usage. But I'm thinking of turning off 3G and relying solely on WiFi while there.

Can WiFi be used in Europe to make free phone calls to people in the US, similarly to the free use of WiFi I can enjoy within the US?

Message 1 of 11 (2,193 Views)
Master

Re: Wi-Fi Phone Calls in Europe?

wifi charges are up to the provider of the hotspot. There should be plenty of free hot spots for you. As for calls, look at skype and other options. Just make sure you have cellular data turned off to ensure you do not have any misc data charges and activity that you do not want.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 11 (2,188 Views)
Professor

Juhlster1021 wrote:

I have an iPhone4 bought in the US.

I plan to visit Europe.

I have found plenty of info about how to sign up for services to protect my phone from high charges for 3G usage. But I'm thinking of turning off 3G and relying solely on WiFi while there.

Can WiFi be used in Europe to make free phone calls to people in the US, similarly to the free use of WiFi I can enjoy within the US?

Make sure you turn off cellular data, not just 3G.  Turning off 3G only does not stop data completely, it just stops 3G data.  The phone will still they to get data via EDGE unless you completly turn off all data.

Message 3 of 11 (2,179 Views)

[ Edited ]

What I' trying to find out is: if you make a call from Europe to USA via wifi (not edge or 3G) is it free? Do you know? Thanks

Message 4 of 11 (2,154 Views)

[ Edited ]

(Besides any local WiFi charges)

Message 5 of 11 (2,153 Views)
Master

Juhlster1021 wrote:

What I' trying to find out is: if you make a call from Europe to USA via wifi (not edge or 3G) is it free? Do you know? Thanks

That depends who are you using to make the call?  ATT does not make calls via wifi....  If you use Skype, they may or may not; you need to read their terms and who and where you are trying to call from/to.  

That is about the best answer we can give.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 6 of 11 (2,148 Views)

At home I can make a call at any free wifi hotspot by using the iPhone's phone functionality (green phone icon). Because the call is connected to the internet via WiFi, ATT doesn't charge me any money to make that call, because I'm not connecting via 3G or Edge.

So I am trying to understand whether it matters that I'm in Europe making the call whille connected, not by 3G or Edge, but rather by WiFi?

Thanks for helping me sort it out.

Message 7 of 11 (2,144 Views)
Professor

Juhlster1021 wrote:

At home I can make a call at any free wifi hotspot by using the iPhone's phone functionality (green phone icon). Because the call is connected to the internet via WiFi, ATT doesn't charge me any money to make that call, because I'm not connecting via 3G or Edge.

So I am trying to understand whether it matters that I'm in Europe making the call whille connected, not by 3G or Edge, but rather by WiFi?

Thanks for helping me sort it out.

Uh no, you cannot.

The phone call functionality of the iPhone does not utilize Wi-fi... it connects via the cellular network whether that is GPRS, EDGE, or 3G.

Making calls via Wi-Fi requires a 3rd party app like Skype.

Message 8 of 11 (2,141 Views)
Master

You are not being charged becasuse you are using minutes.  Calling another ATt customer or if you have A-list, that person is on your list.  Calls are never made via wifi on ATT Wireless.

Message 9 of 11 (2,137 Views)

OK thanks, I guess I didn't get that, I've never used more than 48 minutes in a month so haven't had to pay attention to how it's billed. Thanks for the help.

Message 10 of 11 (2,133 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

You can buy a brand-new phone in Europe and a month of amazing service for less than it will cost you to even buy a month's worth of texts from AT&T. Just enjoy your vacation from AT&T Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 11 (1,947 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.