Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 4, 2010
11:59:51 AM
View profile
Why would US get a later WP7 release date?

I live in both the US and Europe so I am not bashing one continent or the other.  I just do not understand how marketing works.  Why would WP7, an OS designed by an American company be available in Europe, weeks before it is available in the US?  I almost want to think that the difference in release dates is the fastest that US carriers could get the handsets on the street after branding them and making them their own.

IF the timeline goes as rumored, the publicity conference is October 11th, both in Europe and the US.  Then Europe gets handset sales starting on the 21st of October while the US waits for a month from official announcement for handset sales to start around the 8th of November.

I am just wondering why sales are staggered at all and how they chose which continent leads with a new OS.

I live in both the US and Europe so I am not bashing one continent or the other.  I just do not understand how marketing works.  Why would WP7, an OS designed by an American company be available in Europe, weeks before it is available in the US?  I almost want to think that the difference in release dates is the fastest that US carriers could get the handsets on the street after branding them and making them their own.

IF the timeline goes as rumored, the publicity conference is October 11th, both in Europe and the US.  Then Europe gets handset sales starting on the 21st of October while the US waits for a month from official announcement for handset sales to start around the 8th of November.

I am just wondering why sales are staggered at all and how they chose which continent leads with a new OS.

Why would US get a later WP7 release date?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 2:56:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

Good question, I was wondering this as well. The HTC phones seem to get released in Europe earlier as well.....not to mention the Dell Streak (which was released free with contract and also as 'completely' unlocked). Perhaps it's something to do with the holiday season, or a proponderence of shopping preferences.

Good question, I was wondering this as well. The HTC phones seem to get released in Europe earlier as well.....not to mention the Dell Streak (which was released free with contract and also as 'completely' unlocked). Perhaps it's something to do with the holiday season, or a proponderence of shopping preferences.

Re: Why would US get a later WP7 release date?

2 of 4 (764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 3:42:16 PM
(0)
Professor

diagoro wrote:

Interesting.  I wonder is the entire US sales plan is marketed around having these things on the shelf by Black Friday (Day after Thanksgiving in the US).  I would think that Microsoft would want some serious momentum by Black Friday.

I have already admitted in other threads that I will be an early adopter, I just do not understand why we have to wait an additional month in the US (Two weeks if some sites are accurate).

diagoro wrote:

Interesting.  I wonder is the entire US sales plan is marketed around having these things on the shelf by Black Friday (Day after Thanksgiving in the US).  I would think that Microsoft would want some serious momentum by Black Friday.

I have already admitted in other threads that I will be an early adopter, I just do not understand why we have to wait an additional month in the US (Two weeks if some sites are accurate).

3 of 4 (758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2010 6:02:50 AM
(0)
Master

Could it be regulatory delays?  Is it easier to issue a cell phone in Europe than it is America?

Could it be regulatory delays?  Is it easier to issue a cell phone in Europe than it is America?

4 of 4 (725 Views)