Wireless Forums

Posted May 22, 2010
5:16:23 PM
View profile
Why won't att unlock the iphone?

Hello all,

Ok...I know this topic has been beat to death...but why can't ATT unlock our Iphones?  I just spent on hour on the phone with both att and apple and I am inclined to believe that ultimately the decision lies with ATT.  About 2 years ago ATT unlocked my Blackberry curve so why can't they unlock my Iphone?  An Apple rep told me that the contract between ATT and Apple stipulates that ATT decides who phone gets unlocked.  

Of course I can have the phone unlocked by other means but why do we need to do this?

Hoping for some reasonable answers....

Regards,

Radman

Hello all,

Ok...I know this topic has been beat to death...but why can't ATT unlock our Iphones?  I just spent on hour on the phone with both att and apple and I am inclined to believe that ultimately the decision lies with ATT.  About 2 years ago ATT unlocked my Blackberry curve so why can't they unlock my Iphone?  An Apple rep told me that the contract between ATT and Apple stipulates that ATT decides who phone gets unlocked.  

Of course I can have the phone unlocked by other means but why do we need to do this?

Regards,

Radman

Why won't att unlock the iphone?

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2010 5:24:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

Are you asking why the AT&T Representative refuses to unlock it, or why AT&T the company refuses to unlock it? If you are asking the first, then the answer is that the Representative has absolutely no access to the code since they need to get it from the phone manufacture first, which is Apple, and they do not provide that to AT&T Representatives. If you are asking in regards to the second question, then the smart money is that the Iphone makes AT&T a very large sum of money and allowing for the device to be unlocked would most likely lose them money. It is not like a Blackberry where there is most likely an equal version of the device on any carrier, the Iphone is unique and no other carrier has a thing which is like it.

Are you asking why the AT&T Representative refuses to unlock it, or why AT&T the company refuses to unlock it? If you are asking the first, then the answer is that the Representative has absolutely no access to the code since they need to get it from the phone manufacture first, which is Apple, and they do not provide that to AT&T Representatives. If you are asking in regards to the second question, then the smart money is that the Iphone makes AT&T a very large sum of money and allowing for the device to be unlocked would most likely lose them money. It is not like a Blackberry where there is most likely an equal version of the device on any carrier, the Iphone is unique and no other carrier has a thing which is like it.

Re: Why won't att unlock the iphone?

2 of 24 (5,431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2010 5:58:25 PM
(0)

My question is really directed to ATT in general..I agree with you that the reps do not have access  to the unlock codes.  As for the iphone making ATT lots of money I don't see how unlocking someone's iphone causes ATT to lose money.  Anybody who is still under contract has to pay the monthly fees if they unlock their iphone.  If you are at the end of your contract than an iphone user will most likely have the phone jailbroken (assuming that they don't renew their service) if they want to use their iphone to make calls.  So this argument really dosen't hold water.  

The bottom line is that US Iphone users going overseas should have the ability to insert other sim cards like every other cell phone user.  Paying $2-$3/minute calling the US from overseas is stupid and silly as a sim cards with a few hours of talk time can be bought much cheaper in most countries.  As I mentioned in my post ATT unlocked my blackberry 3 years ago when I was overseas.  Did att lose money? No because I kept the service and I am still with ATT.  Did ATT expect me to pay $2-$3/minute to make an call overseas to the US?  That was not going to happen.  So again...ATT did not lose any money on unlocking my Blackberry.

You can also make the argument that ATT has to cover the cost of the Iphone...well over a two year contract ATT more and makes  for the cost of the phone.  In my case  I am paying something like $3300 for two iphones over two years.  I paid $600 for two iphone when i bought them.  So you can see that ATT is making money on my contract....and that is ok...they are supposed to make money to offer these kinds of products. 

My question is really directed to ATT in general..I agree with you that the reps do not have access  to the unlock codes.  As for the iphone making ATT lots of money I don't see how unlocking someone's iphone causes ATT to lose money.  Anybody who is still under contract has to pay the monthly fees if they unlock their iphone.  If you are at the end of your contract than an iphone user will most likely have the phone jailbroken (assuming that they don't renew their service) if they want to use their iphone to make calls.  So this argument really dosen't hold water.  

The bottom line is that US Iphone users going overseas should have the ability to insert other sim cards like every other cell phone user.  Paying $2-$3/minute calling the US from overseas is stupid and silly as a sim cards with a few hours of talk time can be bought much cheaper in most countries.  As I mentioned in my post ATT unlocked my blackberry 3 years ago when I was overseas.  Did att lose money? No because I kept the service and I am still with ATT.  Did ATT expect me to pay $2-$3/minute to make an call overseas to the US?  That was not going to happen.  So again...ATT did not lose any money on unlocking my Blackberry.

You can also make the argument that ATT has to cover the cost of the Iphone...well over a two year contract ATT more and makes  for the cost of the phone.  In my case  I am paying something like $3300 for two iphones over two years.  I paid $600 for two iphone when i bought them.  So you can see that ATT is making money on my contract....and that is ok...they are supposed to make money to offer these kinds of products. 

3 of 24 (5,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2010 7:24:38 PM
(0)
Guru

If you are wanting a response from AT&T you will need to send a email or call customer service. These are user forums and not frequented by AT&T employees other then the moderators.

If you are wanting a response from AT&T you will need to send a email or call customer service. These are user forums and not frequented by AT&T employees other then the moderators.

4 of 24 (5,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2010 9:34:44 PM
(0)
Master

You won't get any "official" answers from AT&T representatives, if that's what you're hoping for.  It would likely be Apple that would perform the unlock if AT&T permitted it, but so far they have not.  Why not?  Who knows?  To discourage a larger secondary market of unlocked and exported US iPhones than already exists?  To keep the majority of their users from bolting to T-Mobile or smaller regional GSM carriers?  Because they don't have to?  We don't really know.

radman981 wrote:

Hello all,

Regards,

Radman

You won't get any "official" answers from AT&T representatives, if that's what you're hoping for.  It would likely be Apple that would perform the unlock if AT&T permitted it, but so far they have not.  Why not?  Who knows?  To discourage a larger secondary market of unlocked and exported US iPhones than already exists?  To keep the majority of their users from bolting to T-Mobile or smaller regional GSM carriers?  Because they don't have to?  We don't really know.

radman981 wrote:

Hello all,

Regards,

Radman

5 of 24 (5,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 11:22:44 AM
(0)
Guru

This maybe will clear up some of the issues about iPhone or ANY phone unlocking. Whenever a manufacturer sends a phone to the carrier(s), it includes everything the basics of everything to know about the phone such as device tutorials. This will also include the unlock code which AT&T uploads into their database where it can be searched and provided to a customer in need of it. ONLY the MANUFACTURER can produce the unlock code because only they know it. Apple has NEVER released any unlock codes for the iPhones so therefore it's APPLE not unlocking the phones. Same as if your phone is capable of being unlocked and you call AT&T for the unlock code, in the instance they don't have it they take down your contact information and submit a case to have someone obtain the unlock code from the manufacturer and then provide it to you via email w/ unlocking instructions. Everyone just plays the blame game but everyone knew the iPhones would possibly NEVER be unlocked by means of AT&T or Apple but they bought them anyway. Why get made now because of something you already knew beforehand HAS NOT CHANGED. It amazes me lmbo. You can use a 3rd party to unlcok it but it can't be discussed on the forum. It'll void your warranty but if you've had your phone for the full contract term or for over a yr the warranty isn't any good anymore anyway so why not shoot for it.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

This maybe will clear up some of the issues about iPhone or ANY phone unlocking. Whenever a manufacturer sends a phone to the carrier(s), it includes everything the basics of everything to know about the phone such as device tutorials. This will also include the unlock code which AT&T uploads into their database where it can be searched and provided to a customer in need of it. ONLY the MANUFACTURER can produce the unlock code because only they know it. Apple has NEVER released any unlock codes for the iPhones so therefore it's APPLE not unlocking the phones. Same as if your phone is capable of being unlocked and you call AT&T for the unlock code, in the instance they don't have it they take down your contact information and submit a case to have someone obtain the unlock code from the manufacturer and then provide it to you via email w/ unlocking instructions. Everyone just plays the blame game but everyone knew the iPhones would possibly NEVER be unlocked by means of AT&T or Apple but they bought them anyway. Why get made now because of something you already knew beforehand HAS NOT CHANGED. It amazes me lmbo. You can use a 3rd party to unlcok it but it can't be discussed on the forum. It'll void your warranty but if you've had your phone for the full contract term or for over a yr the warranty isn't any good anymore anyway so why not shoot for it.

6 of 24 (5,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 1:03:41 PM
(0)
Master

Maybe this will change once the iPhone is distributed to other carriers, but until then, AT&T will never be able to assist their customers with iPhone unlocking. :smileysad:

Maybe this will change once the iPhone is distributed to other carriers, but until then, AT&T will never be able to assist their customers with iPhone unlocking. :smileysad:

7 of 24 (5,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 1:42:32 PM
(0)
Guru

Irish Rose wrote:

Of course because ONCE AGAIN it's not up to AT&T to unlock the iPhone. It's Apple's sole decision. If a manufacturer does't wanna do something they won't unless they are forced. In Apple's cse why would they even give the iPhone to other carrier's when they can milk it being exclusive to one carrier. I would milk it til the cow died.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Irish Rose wrote:

Of course because ONCE AGAIN it's not up to AT&T to unlock the iPhone. It's Apple's sole decision. If a manufacturer does't wanna do something they won't unless they are forced. In Apple's cse why would they even give the iPhone to other carrier's when they can milk it being exclusive to one carrier. I would milk it til the cow died.

8 of 24 (5,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 2:08:48 PM
(0)
Master

PhoneScoop wrote:

First it wasn't necessary for you to CAP "Once again" while quoting my post, like you had told me something before. Secondly, you haven't said anything here that I didn't already know! :smileywink:

PhoneScoop wrote:

First it wasn't necessary for you to CAP "Once again" while quoting my post, like you had told me something before. Secondly, you haven't said anything here that I didn't already know! :smileywink:

9 of 24 (5,149 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 2:42:49 PM
(0)
Guru

Not necessarily for YOUbut also particularly for the others who may read the post that's all. Just responded to your posting and didn't mean to quote it just put that so it would be in "reference" to what you posted. Although you may have already known this apparently people such as the OP don't which is the #1 reason why people respond to concerns such as theirs.

Not necessarily for YOUbut also particularly for the others who may read the post that's all. Just responded to your posting and didn't mean to quote it just put that so it would be in "reference" to what you posted. Although you may have already known this apparently people such as the OP don't which is the #1 reason why people respond to concerns such as theirs.

10 of 24 (5,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 3:57:57 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Helmsman on May 24, 2010 at 4:23:10 PM

PhoneScoop wrote:

I was not the one that had the question, but was only commenting in this thread like  YOU were, so perhaps next time, YOU can reserve quoting someone that actually has a question!

Please be courteous

PhoneScoop wrote:

I was not the one that had the question, but was only commenting in this thread like  YOU were, so perhaps next time, YOU can reserve quoting someone that actually has a question!

Please be courteous

[ Edited ]
11 of 24 (3,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2010 4:57:38 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

Everyone - keep it courteous. Your opinions are always welcome but personal attacks and harassment in the Forum are not acceptable.

Thank you for participating in the forums!

Helmsman

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions". This will help other users find this information too!!

Everyone - keep it courteous. Your opinions are always welcome but personal attacks and harassment in the Forum are not acceptable.

Thank you for participating in the forums!

Helmsman

12 of 24 (3,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2010 9:54:13 PM
(0)
Teacher

Irish Rose wrote:

PhoneScoop wrote:

Actually, Rose.... PhoneScoop is wrong.  Unlocking the iPhone is not Apple's sole decision.  It works differently for the iPhone than other phones.  The carrier needs to send some kind of notification to Apple.  Then Apple will make some kind of change so that the next time the phone is sync'd with iTunes, it becomes unlocked.  That, at least, is how it's been done in other countries.   When my iPhone's contract was up, I contacted AT&T (this was about a year ago) and they gave me the runaround.  AT&T finally came out a specified that they will not, under any circumstances, unlock the iPhone.  I take great issue with this as well.  I've already severed all ither financial ties to AT&T.  And, as soon as I can cut my iPhone cord with them, I will.  For me, it's like a bank not taking a lien off your house after you've paid off the loan.

Irish Rose wrote:

PhoneScoop wrote:

Actually, Rose.... PhoneScoop is wrong.  Unlocking the iPhone is not Apple's sole decision.  It works differently for the iPhone than other phones.  The carrier needs to send some kind of notification to Apple.  Then Apple will make some kind of change so that the next time the phone is sync'd with iTunes, it becomes unlocked.  That, at least, is how it's been done in other countries.   When my iPhone's contract was up, I contacted AT&T (this was about a year ago) and they gave me the runaround.  AT&T finally came out a specified that they will not, under any circumstances, unlock the iPhone.  I take great issue with this as well.  I've already severed all ither financial ties to AT&T.  And, as soon as I can cut my iPhone cord with them, I will.  For me, it's like a bank not taking a lien off your house after you've paid off the loan.

13 of 24 (3,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 8:26:30 AM
(0)
Guru

Mikeuser wrote:

Irish Rose wrote:

PhoneScoop wrote:

NO actually Rose...Mikeuser is wrong. The iphone unlocking process available in other countries is correct because when the request is received APPLE makes the change not AT&T. BUT, here in the US it's not available as such because APPLE doesn't make the change to where it will become unlocked. So I am correct. It's Apple who releases the unlock in the other countries and has the control for it here in the US as well.

Mikeuser wrote:

Irish Rose wrote:

PhoneScoop wrote:

NO actually Rose...Mikeuser is wrong. The iphone unlocking process available in other countries is correct because when the request is received APPLE makes the change not AT&T. BUT, here in the US it's not available as such because APPLE doesn't make the change to where it will become unlocked. So I am correct. It's Apple who releases the unlock in the other countries and has the control for it here in the US as well.

14 of 24 (3,424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 8:28:45 AM
(0)
Guru

And again Rose...I only put the you in big red letters to indicate to you that it was necessarily towards you because you gave the indication you deemed it as a personal attack which it wasn't.

And again Rose...I only put the you in big red letters to indicate to you that it was necessarily towards you because you gave the indication you deemed it as a personal attack which it wasn't.

15 of 24 (3,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 11:17:33 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by 10nisman94 on May 26, 2010 at 11:17:50 AM

Apple doesn't make the change, but that is surely at AT&T's request, or under contractual obligations. If you really want your iPhone unlocked, there are ways... You do temporarily sacrifice warranty service, but that is easily remedied by a restore.

Apple doesn't make the change, but that is surely at AT&T's request, or under contractual obligations. If you really want your iPhone unlocked, there are ways... You do temporarily sacrifice warranty service, but that is easily remedied by a restore.

[ Edited ]
16 of 24 (3,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 2:07:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

And they just outlined how the unlocks will go through the court case that was just decided. Odd how the ruling for iphone unlocks ends about the time iphone will go to Verizon/sprint possibly we will see.

And they just outlined how the unlocks will go through the court case that was just decided. Odd how the ruling for iphone unlocks ends about the time iphone will go to Verizon/sprint possibly we will see.

17 of 24 (3,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2010 2:09:26 PM
(0)
Contributor
It's a sad state when you pay for something that's not delivered and you have absolutely no recourse on it. I used to live in the states, I have an iPhone 3GS which is out of contract. I planned to use it when i moved back to the uk and called AT&T to get hem to unlock it. I too was given the same runaround as others on the board so in the end I unlocked it myself. The reason o2 (the initial sole uk provider) started unlocking iPhones was because their exclusivity agreement was up with apple. They argued before that as they were the sole provider and the only one with the relevant data plans there was no reason to unlock their phones to all networks. I'm sure though that as more uk networks gave out iPhone plans the last thing they wanted to do was to unlock all those phone to be used elsewhere. Hopefully the exclusivity agreement with AT&T is up this year and apple either start providing unlock codes or AT&T have to excuse to fallback in to block it. Doesn't matter to me for much longer, my next contract will be a uk phone with a civil network that'll unlock it for free.
It's a sad state when you pay for something that's not delivered and you have absolutely no recourse on it. I used to live in the states, I have an iPhone 3GS which is out of contract. I planned to use it when i moved back to the uk and called AT&T to get hem to unlock it. I too was given the same runaround as others on the board so in the end I unlocked it myself. The reason o2 (the initial sole uk provider) started unlocking iPhones was because their exclusivity agreement was up with apple. They argued before that as they were the sole provider and the only one with the relevant data plans there was no reason to unlock their phones to all networks. I'm sure though that as more uk networks gave out iPhone plans the last thing they wanted to do was to unlock all those phone to be used elsewhere. Hopefully the exclusivity agreement with AT&T is up this year and apple either start providing unlock codes or AT&T have to excuse to fallback in to block it. Doesn't matter to me for much longer, my next contract will be a uk phone with a civil network that'll unlock it for free.

18 of 24 (3,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2010 5:32:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

Comedy, I recognize your frustration, but you do have third party options avalible to you.

Comedy, I recognize your frustration, but you do have third party options avalible to you.

19 of 24 (3,304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2010 11:18:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

Isn't it obvious, It's to keep you from having the potential of using the phone on another network of your choosing. They want to corner you into renewing with them.

Isn't it obvious, It's to keep you from having the potential of using the phone on another network of your choosing. They want to corner you into renewing with them.

20 of 24 (3,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 28, 2010 10:52:17 AM
(0)
Guru

Comedy wrote:

That's exactly why every OTHER phone is available to be unlocked due to the fact AT&T isn't the only provider who offers those phones. So they're not exclusive phones. The phones began to be unlocked because the other carriers' networks "officially" were able to handle the iPhones that's all. But of course no one wants to hear the technical part (myself @ times including) because no one cares to hear on why they can't do something a "me"society. If I want it, I should be able to get it.

Comedy wrote:

That's exactly why every OTHER phone is available to be unlocked due to the fact AT&T isn't the only provider who offers those phones. So they're not exclusive phones. The phones began to be unlocked because the other carriers' networks "officially" were able to handle the iPhones that's all. But of course no one wants to hear the technical part (myself @ times including) because no one cares to hear on why they can't do something a "me"society. If I want it, I should be able to get it.

21 of 24 (3,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2010 9:04:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

PhoneScoop wrote:

Mikeuser wrote:

Irish Rose wrote:

PhoneScoop wrote:

Bottom line is that if AT&T sends authorization to Apple to unlock an iPhone, Apple will unlock it.  However, AT&T has stated quite clearly (only recently though) that it will under no circumstances send such an authorization to Apple.

PhoneScoop wrote:

Mikeuser wrote:

Irish Rose wrote:

PhoneScoop wrote:

Bottom line is that if AT&T sends authorization to Apple to unlock an iPhone, Apple will unlock it.  However, AT&T has stated quite clearly (only recently though) that it will under no circumstances send such an authorization to Apple.

22 of 24 (3,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2010 12:23:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

Why would they? They're the only carrier in the USA to sell the iPhone. They're exclusivity binds most people to their network so why would they want to give something like that up without a fight? That said, there are ways to get an unlocked phone if you truly desire so why slam either company for setting the restriction?

Why would they? They're the only carrier in the USA to sell the iPhone. They're exclusivity binds most people to their network so why would they want to give something like that up without a fight? That said, there are ways to get an unlocked phone if you truly desire so why slam either company for setting the restriction?

23 of 24 (3,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2012 3:47:19 PM
(0)
Moved for better exposure

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

24 of 24 (2,309 Views)