Why won't att unlock the iphone?

Teacher

Re: Why won't att unlock the iphone?

Apple doesn't make the change, but that is surely at AT&T's request, or under contractual obligations. If you really want your iPhone unlocked, there are ways... You do temporarily sacrifice warranty service, but that is easily remedied by a restore.

Message 16 of 24
Mentor

And they just outlined how the unlocks will go through the court case that was just decided. Odd how the ruling for iphone unlocks ends about the time iphone will go to Verizon/sprint possibly we will see.

Message 17 of 24
Contributor

It's a sad state when you pay for something that's not delivered and you have absolutely no recourse on it. I used to live in the states, I have an iPhone 3GS which is out of contract. I planned to use it when i moved back to the uk and called AT&T to get hem to unlock it. I too was given the same runaround as others on the board so in the end I unlocked it myself. The reason o2 (the initial sole uk provider) started unlocking iPhones was because their exclusivity agreement was up with apple. They argued before that as they were the sole provider and the only one with the relevant data plans there was no reason to unlock their phones to all networks. I'm sure though that as more uk networks gave out iPhone plans the last thing they wanted to do was to unlock all those phone to be used elsewhere. Hopefully the exclusivity agreement with AT&T is up this year and apple either start providing unlock codes or AT&T have to excuse to fallback in to block it. Doesn't matter to me for much longer, my next contract will be a uk phone with a civil network that'll unlock it for free.
Message 18 of 24
Teacher

Comedy, I recognize your frustration, but you do have third party options avalible to you.

Message 19 of 24
Teacher

Isn't it obvious, It's to keep you from having the potential of using the phone on another network of your choosing. They want to corner you into renewing with them.

Message 20 of 24

Comedy wrote:
It's a sad state when you pay for something that's not delivered and you have absolutely no recourse on it. I used to live in the states, I have an iPhone 3GS which is out of contract. I planned to use it when i moved back to the uk and called AT&T to get hem to unlock it. I too was given the same runaround as others on the board so in the end I unlocked it myself. The reason o2 (the initial sole uk provider) started unlocking iPhones was because their exclusivity agreement was up with apple. They argued before that as they were the sole provider and the only one with the relevant data plans there was no reason to unlock their phones to all networks. I'm sure though that as more uk networks gave out iPhone plans the last thing they wanted to do was to unlock all those phone to be used elsewhere. Hopefully the exclusivity agreement with AT&T is up this year and apple either start providing unlock codes or AT&T have to excuse to fallback in to block it. Doesn't matter to me for much longer, my next contract will be a uk phone with a civil network that'll unlock it for free.

That's exactly why every OTHER phone is available to be unlocked due to the fact AT&T isn't the only provider who offers those phones. So they're not exclusive phones. The phones began to be unlocked because the other carriers' networks "officially" were able to handle the iPhones that's all. But of course no one wants to hear the technical part (myself @ times including) because no one cares to hear on why they can't do something a "me"society. If I want it, I should be able to get it.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 21 of 24
Teacher

PhoneScoop wrote:

Mikeuser wrote:

Irish Rose wrote:

PhoneScoop wrote:
Of course because ONCE AGAIN it's not up to AT&T to unlock the iPhone. It's Apple's sole decision. If a manufacturer does't wanna do something they won't unless they are forced. In Apple's cse why would they even give the iPhone to other carrier's when they can milk it being exclusive to one carrier. I would milk it til the cow died.

First it wasn't necessary for you to CAP "Once again" while quoting my post, like you had told me something before. Secondly, you haven't said anything here that I didn't already know! Smiley Wink

Actually, Rose.... PhoneScoop is wrong.  Unlocking the iPhone is not Apple's sole decision.  It works differently for the iPhone than other phones.  The carrier needs to send some kind of notification to Apple.  Then Apple will make some kind of change so that the next time the phone is sync'd with iTunes, it becomes unlocked.  That, at least, is how it's been done in other countries.   When my iPhone's contract was up, I contacted AT&T (this was about a year ago) and they gave me the runaround.  AT&T finally came out a specified that they will not, under any circumstances, unlock the iPhone.  I take great issue with this as well.  I've already severed all ither financial ties to AT&T.  And, as soon as I can cut my iPhone cord with them, I will.  For me, it's like a bank not taking a lien off your house after you've paid off the loan.

NO actually Rose...Mikeuser is wrong. The iphone unlocking process available in other countries is correct because when the request is received APPLE makes the change not AT&T. BUT, here in the US it's not available as such because APPLE doesn't make the change to where it will become unlocked. So I am correct. It's Apple who releases the unlock in the other countries and has the control for it here in the US as well.

Bottom line is that if AT&T sends authorization to Apple to unlock an iPhone, Apple will unlock it.  However, AT&T has stated quite clearly (only recently though) that it will under no circumstances send such an authorization to Apple.

Message 22 of 24
Teacher

Why would they? They're the only carrier in the USA to sell the iPhone. They're exclusivity binds most people to their network so why would they want to give something like that up without a fight? That said, there are ways to get an unlocked phone if you truly desire so why slam either company for setting the restriction?

Message 23 of 24
Highlighted
Moved:

Message 24 of 24
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support