Why won't AT&T let me get an LTE data plan

Contributor

Why won't AT&T let me get an LTE data plan

Like the title says, why won't AT&T let me get an LTE data plan without having to provide an IMEI? My friend let's me borrow his Skyrocket on weekends so I don't want to tether his IMEI to my account but without a LTE IMEI AT&T won't put LTE on my account.

The only thing AT&T tells me is "I'm eligible for an upgrade" and "I should buy an LTE phone and go into a contract." Gee, thanks AT&T for trying to make more money off me.

Message 1 of 5 (867 Views)
Employee

Re: Why won't AT&T let me get an LTE data plan

The system won't allow an lte data plan when the phone listed in the same system is not an LTE phone. System limitations is all
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5 (857 Views)
Contributor

So how would I get an LTE plan without having to buy a phone?
Message 3 of 5 (844 Views)
Employee

You need the IMEI of an LTE phone in your account.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5 (837 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

I heard people had success using an IMEI number from an LTE phone on display in a corporate store. Apparently a store clerk had suggested it to one of the people who were in a similar predicament.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5 (826 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.