Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 3, 2010
5:49:07 PM
View profile
Why is tethering $20 extra?

1)  I will already pay for the internet connection on the phone at the rate of $25.

2)  I will only have 2GB to spend regardless of whether its tethered or not.

3)  iPhone provides the tethering technology, not AT&T

So, AT&T, I would like to understand what I am paying an additional $20 a month for exactly?

I wonder if the national media is too busy with the oil spill to dig into this bogus fee.  Maybe its time the government started to regulate again.  I suspect AT&T would not be too happy to learn one of its contractors was double dipping, so why is AT&T?

1)  I will already pay for the internet connection on the phone at the rate of $25.

2)  I will only have 2GB to spend regardless of whether its tethered or not.

3)  iPhone provides the tethering technology, not AT&T

So, AT&T, I would like to understand what I am paying an additional $20 a month for exactly?

I wonder if the national media is too busy with the oil spill to dig into this bogus fee.  Maybe its time the government started to regulate again.  I suspect AT&T would not be too happy to learn one of its contractors was double dipping, so why is AT&T?

Why is tethering $20 extra?

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2010 5:59:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Short answer — because they can.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why is tethering $20 extra?

2 of 22 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 8:38:10 AM
(0)
Guru

Tethering has always costed extra. Before, in tethering enabled phones you had to pay $60.00 in total for 5GB of tethering and unlimited data for the phone. In smartphones it was divided in $30.00 for unl data for phones and $30.00 for 5GB of tethering data.

They only reduced the price, the data usage and enabled iPhones to have tethering too.

dmapr wrote:

I know I shouldn't, but I lol'd. Smiley Tongue

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Tethering has always costed extra. Before, in tethering enabled phones you had to pay $60.00 in total for 5GB of tethering and unlimited data for the phone. In smartphones it was divided in $30.00 for unl data for phones and $30.00 for 5GB of tethering data.

They only reduced the price, the data usage and enabled iPhones to have tethering too.

dmapr wrote:

I know I shouldn't, but I lol'd. Smiley Tongue

3 of 22 (405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 9:04:34 AM
(0)
Tutor
Yeah, and it was BS under the old rules too. But at least there was some argument that a person could pull data down faster from a laptop than from most mobile devices. However, with a 2GB limitation, this argument does not apply.

It was stupid before, and it just go more stupid with the 2GB limit. But hey if the consumer base isn't intelligent enough to realize they are paying for the same internet connection and the same bandwidth twice, then I guess who am I to judge. Here's your kool-aid, drink up.
Yeah, and it was BS under the old rules too. But at least there was some argument that a person could pull data down faster from a laptop than from most mobile devices. However, with a 2GB limitation, this argument does not apply.

It was stupid before, and it just go more stupid with the 2GB limit. But hey if the consumer base isn't intelligent enough to realize they are paying for the same internet connection and the same bandwidth twice, then I guess who am I to judge. Here's your kool-aid, drink up.

4 of 22 (398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 9:45:16 AM
(0)
Master

dmapr wrote:

Or they really don't want more people doing it.  If you really feel you must have it this is the price of admission.

dmapr wrote:

Or they really don't want more people doing it.  If you really feel you must have it this is the price of admission.

5 of 22 (394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 9:51:48 AM
(0)
Master
Yea nothing more than a premium. It would have been nice if for the $20 extra you got a 4gb limit combined phone/tether plan. Then it might have been worth something.
Yea nothing more than a premium. It would have been nice if for the $20 extra you got a 4gb limit combined phone/tether plan. Then it might have been worth something.

6 of 22 (392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 10:00:41 AM
(0)
Professor

dmapr wrote:

Shorter answer - greed.

dmapr wrote:

Shorter answer - greed.

7 of 22 (388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 12:17:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

But wait!!!! If you order right now we will double the offer. Twice the price for half the product. Hurry because we can't do this all day.

But wait!!!! If you order right now we will double the offer. Twice the price for half the product. Hurry because we can't do this all day.

8 of 22 (376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 2:16:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've asked the same thing in another post. To charge a $20 tethering fee on an unlimited data plan makes sense, since you're far more likely to use larger amounts of data that could actually cost the company more than it's charging you.  But, to charge even a $1 tethering fee on a limited (and I mean VERY limited) data plan is unconscionable.

It's the exact same thing as buying a 12-oz. can of Coke, then Coca-Cola Co. coming in afterward and telling you you have to pay more to drink it with a straw rather than straight from the can (just because they said so), or to divy it up between two glasses, or to drink half of it while sitting down and the other half while standing up, or because drinking it through a straw should cost more for the convenience of it not staining your teeth as badly as drinking it straight from the can, or that, even though you paid for 12 ounces, they don't want to you enjoy drinking it so much that you actually consume the full 12 ounces.

There is absolutely no justifying charging $20 extra for tethering on a limited data plan.  You're already buying that specific amount of data usage, so you basically own it.  How you decide to use it is then completely your business, and there's no way to support charging additional fees to do so.  Again, I smell a class-action lawsuit coming over this.

I've asked the same thing in another post. To charge a $20 tethering fee on an unlimited data plan makes sense, since you're far more likely to use larger amounts of data that could actually cost the company more than it's charging you.  But, to charge even a $1 tethering fee on a limited (and I mean VERY limited) data plan is unconscionable.

It's the exact same thing as buying a 12-oz. can of Coke, then Coca-Cola Co. coming in afterward and telling you you have to pay more to drink it with a straw rather than straight from the can (just because they said so), or to divy it up between two glasses, or to drink half of it while sitting down and the other half while standing up, or because drinking it through a straw should cost more for the convenience of it not staining your teeth as badly as drinking it straight from the can, or that, even though you paid for 12 ounces, they don't want to you enjoy drinking it so much that you actually consume the full 12 ounces.

There is absolutely no justifying charging $20 extra for tethering on a limited data plan.  You're already buying that specific amount of data usage, so you basically own it.  How you decide to use it is then completely your business, and there's no way to support charging additional fees to do so.  Again, I smell a class-action lawsuit coming over this.

9 of 22 (368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 4:28:35 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by pamelaz on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:30:11 PM

This is actually more like buying a pack of chewing gum, then Wrigley telling you you can only chew the gum on the right side of your mouth, or you'll have to pay them extra to chew it on both sides. They might even try to justify it by saying that chewing on both sides of your mouth freshens your breath better, so you should pay a premium for the right to use that gum to its full potential, even though you own it, and what you do with stuff in your own mouth is entirely your business. This smacks of an invasion of privacy, if nothing else, because they're basically telling you that you must chew your gum with your mouth open if you want to chew it after buying it, so they can make sure you chew it according to their demands.

No company is allowed to compel you, contractually or otherwise, to waive your civil rights, including your right to privacy. Nor can they refuse to sell you their goods and services for refusing to waive said rights.  But, to require you to inform their network that you're tethering your phone, whether it's in person or through software that's already on your phone telling the network you're tethering, is to invade your privacy, which is against federal law.

Are you listening, AT&T?  If you charge a fee to tether on top of the fee you already charge for a limited data plan, you will be violating federal privacy laws, and do you really want to go ahead with this plan to charge an additional $20-a-month fee just because and wait to see if you get dragged into court or even before Congress for doing so?  It could cost you a lot more in the end than you made up front.  But, at this point, especially after hearing that you sent threats to a customer that you'd serve him with a cease and desist order if he dared contact your company again to voice his concerns about your service, I almost hope you do go through with this, 'cause it'll give me such smug satisfaction to see you {word filter evasion} slapped by the feds.

This is actually more like buying a pack of chewing gum, then Wrigley telling you you can only chew the gum on the right side of your mouth, or you'll have to pay them extra to chew it on both sides. They might even try to justify it by saying that chewing on both sides of your mouth freshens your breath better, so you should pay a premium for the right to use that gum to its full potential, even though you own it, and what you do with stuff in your own mouth is entirely your business. This smacks of an invasion of privacy, if nothing else, because they're basically telling you that you must chew your gum with your mouth open if you want to chew it after buying it, so they can make sure you chew it according to their demands.

No company is allowed to compel you, contractually or otherwise, to waive your civil rights, including your right to privacy. Nor can they refuse to sell you their goods and services for refusing to waive said rights.  But, to require you to inform their network that you're tethering your phone, whether it's in person or through software that's already on your phone telling the network you're tethering, is to invade your privacy, which is against federal law.

Are you listening, AT&T?  If you charge a fee to tether on top of the fee you already charge for a limited data plan, you will be violating federal privacy laws, and do you really want to go ahead with this plan to charge an additional $20-a-month fee just because and wait to see if you get dragged into court or even before Congress for doing so?  It could cost you a lot more in the end than you made up front.  But, at this point, especially after hearing that you sent threats to a customer that you'd serve him with a cease and desist order if he dared contact your company again to voice his concerns about your service, I almost hope you do go through with this, 'cause it'll give me such smug satisfaction to see you {word filter evasion} slapped by the feds.

[ Edited ]
10 of 22 (351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 11:51:57 AM
(0)
Expert

ljrhodes wrote:

Are you listening, AT&T?  If you charge a fee to tether on top of the fee you already charge for a limited data plan, you will be violating federal privacy laws, and do you really want to go ahead with this plan to charge an additional $20-a-month fee just because and wait to see if you get dragged into court or even before Congress for doing so?  It could cost you a lot more in the end than you made up front.  But, at this point, especially after hearing that you sent threats to a customer that you'd serve him with a cease and desist order if he dared contact your company again to voice his concerns about your service, I almost hope you do go through with this, 'cause it'll give me such smug satisfaction to see you slapped by the feds.

It is not illegal for any wireless company to charge extra for another service, tethering is now going to be listed as a seperate feature instead of being a different price point, they used to charge $30 for the data from the device and then $30 for the tethering so you either paid $30 or a $60 charge depending on what you were doing, now they are charging $20 for a single feature which is tethering and it can be added and or removed any time, as for invasion of privacy it is not as you state, you agreed to their terms and conditions when you activated, they did not hold anything against you to make you sign up for their service and or even use it, you did that of your own free will, you also took it upon yourself to keep the service past the initial 3 days of activation which means that the activation fee is not waived and once past the full buyers remorse you fully agreed to keep their service for the remainder of the contractual obligation you agreed to, everything falls upon the individual and not the company, if you do nto agree with what the company is doing leave and dont let the door hit you on the way out, take ownership of your actions you did on your own for once because it has to start somewhere.

ljrhodes wrote:

Are you listening, AT&T?  If you charge a fee to tether on top of the fee you already charge for a limited data plan, you will be violating federal privacy laws, and do you really want to go ahead with this plan to charge an additional $20-a-month fee just because and wait to see if you get dragged into court or even before Congress for doing so?  It could cost you a lot more in the end than you made up front.  But, at this point, especially after hearing that you sent threats to a customer that you'd serve him with a cease and desist order if he dared contact your company again to voice his concerns about your service, I almost hope you do go through with this, 'cause it'll give me such smug satisfaction to see you slapped by the feds.

It is not illegal for any wireless company to charge extra for another service, tethering is now going to be listed as a seperate feature instead of being a different price point, they used to charge $30 for the data from the device and then $30 for the tethering so you either paid $30 or a $60 charge depending on what you were doing, now they are charging $20 for a single feature which is tethering and it can be added and or removed any time, as for invasion of privacy it is not as you state, you agreed to their terms and conditions when you activated, they did not hold anything against you to make you sign up for their service and or even use it, you did that of your own free will, you also took it upon yourself to keep the service past the initial 3 days of activation which means that the activation fee is not waived and once past the full buyers remorse you fully agreed to keep their service for the remainder of the contractual obligation you agreed to, everything falls upon the individual and not the company, if you do nto agree with what the company is doing leave and dont let the door hit you on the way out, take ownership of your actions you did on your own for once because it has to start somewhere.

11 of 22 (329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 1:14:32 PM
(0)
Professor
Wow, so let me get this straight, AT&T is forcing you to use a data plan on a device that YOU chose (smartphone) YOU complain that its 30.00, "i cant afford that" so AT&T makes some new data plans and now "its not enough" DEAL WITH IT, and yes at&t can do it you signed a contract with them...also if you have the 30.00 ulim plans you are grandfathered in!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Wow, so let me get this straight, AT&T is forcing you to use a data plan on a device that YOU chose (smartphone) YOU complain that its 30.00, "i cant afford that" so AT&T makes some new data plans and now "its not enough" DEAL WITH IT, and yes at&t can do it you signed a contract with them...also if you have the 30.00 ulim plans you are grandfathered in!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 22 (325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 1:18:30 PM
(0)
Professor
Also tje reason its extra is because you use more. Using more data bogs down the network requiring att to enhance it which costs extra. Thats why you pay extra. Trust me, i have a hacked iphone and i can tether, since then my monthly usage went from 1 to 2 gb per month upwards sround 10-15 gb per month

Also tje reason its extra is because you use more. Using more data bogs down the network requiring att to enhance it which costs extra. Thats why you pay extra. Trust me, i have a hacked iphone and i can tether, since then my monthly usage went from 1 to 2 gb per month upwards sround 10-15 gb per month

13 of 22 (323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 1:55:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

MrKroppcircles wrote:

I think you are missing the point. If you use more, then you will pay more at $10/gb. The $20 charge is superfluous. In your example, you would be paying an extra $80-$130 for your usage. Don't you think that will cover ATT extra costs?

MrKroppcircles wrote:

I think you are missing the point. If you use more, then you will pay more at $10/gb. The $20 charge is superfluous. In your example, you would be paying an extra $80-$130 for your usage. Don't you think that will cover ATT extra costs?

14 of 22 (316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 4:25:05 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by mod.moose on Jun 5, 2010 at 5:56:55 PM

MrKroppcircles wrote:

{Keep it courteous}  On the new plan, you only get 2GB period.  So, if you tether and suck down your 2 GB faster, its gone.  Makes no difference whether I use the iPhone to do it or the laptop to do it.  Same connection, same bandwidth, same limit.  

Based on the old rules, I would agree, that the charge made sense.  Based on the new rules, it makes no sense.  And by your example, you would be paying $10 extra for every gig you pull over 2 under the new rules.  So tethered or not, your paying for the data you use now.  Why charge customers a $20 premium.

Also with that price, people will continue to steal tethering anyway so it really makes no difference.

MrKroppcircles wrote:

{Keep it courteous}  On the new plan, you only get 2GB period.  So, if you tether and suck down your 2 GB faster, its gone.  Makes no difference whether I use the iPhone to do it or the laptop to do it.  Same connection, same bandwidth, same limit.  

Based on the old rules, I would agree, that the charge made sense.  Based on the new rules, it makes no sense.  And by your example, you would be paying $10 extra for every gig you pull over 2 under the new rules.  So tethered or not, your paying for the data you use now.  Why charge customers a $20 premium.

Also with that price, people will continue to steal tethering anyway so it really makes no difference.

[ Edited ]
15 of 22 (305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 5:08:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

wilcre wrote:
It is not illegal for any wireless company to charge extra for another service

And what extra service is AT&T providing me for the extra $20 fee?  The ability to use the same internet connection & 2GB of BW I already payed $25 for?  

The answer is yes, and charging me for the same thing twice is called "double dipping". I don't know the legality of double dipping.  But, it is certainly unethical.  And, it ticks off those of us who are technology savvy enough to know what's really going on. (Though, i can't help but notice it seems some AT&T employees take pride in ticking off customers.)

All it really means, is people will continue to jailbreak their phones and avoid the extra $20 fee.  I can't help but think if they had charged something small like a $5 fee, it wouldn't have been worth arguing over.  (Or Jail breaking over for that matter.) 

wilcre wrote:

And what extra service is AT&T providing me for the extra $20 fee?  The ability to use the same internet connection & 2GB of BW I already payed $25 for?  

The answer is yes, and charging me for the same thing twice is called "double dipping". I don't know the legality of double dipping.  But, it is certainly unethical.  And, it ticks off those of us who are technology savvy enough to know what's really going on. (Though, i can't help but notice it seems some AT&T employees take pride in ticking off customers.)

All it really means, is people will continue to jailbreak their phones and avoid the extra $20 fee.  I can't help but think if they had charged something small like a $5 fee, it wouldn't have been worth arguing over.  (Or Jail breaking over for that matter.) 

16 of 22 (304 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 9:01:11 PM
(0)
Guru

Velshar wrote:

wilcre wrote:

I hope this does not tick you off, but what wilcre is saying is that tethering is a "feature" of the phone.  Similar to at home you get call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID, etc.  all are features.  Each feature may or may not be included in your base price but many are rolled up into a package price (59.99).  Now, if each company would charge separately for each feature, this may not look like that big of a deal, adding another feature (other than the price point).

The question I think that should be asked is whether or not you are willing to pay $20 for this feature.  Turning a phone into a modem is a feature.  Who would have ever thought this ability would have ever happened?  I'm still fascinated that this stuff actually does what it does.  Personally, I would not see myself wanting this feature since I already have wifi on my laptop, I really would be wasting money getting tethering, even it it was only $5. 

Who knows what the market will bear on this price point.  Time will tell.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

Velshar wrote:

wilcre wrote:

I hope this does not tick you off, but what wilcre is saying is that tethering is a "feature" of the phone.  Similar to at home you get call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID, etc.  all are features.  Each feature may or may not be included in your base price but many are rolled up into a package price (59.99).  Now, if each company would charge separately for each feature, this may not look like that big of a deal, adding another feature (other than the price point).

The question I think that should be asked is whether or not you are willing to pay $20 for this feature.  Turning a phone into a modem is a feature.  Who would have ever thought this ability would have ever happened?  I'm still fascinated that this stuff actually does what it does.  Personally, I would not see myself wanting this feature since I already have wifi on my laptop, I really would be wasting money getting tethering, even it it was only $5. 

Sent from my iPhone 4

17 of 22 (296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 8:21:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

I don't know if this would be a solution to teathering or not. But I'm getting ready to dump at&t due to their no longer having unlimited data, but when talking to verizon they informed me that they offer phones that act as their own wiresless hotspot that your laptop can pickup for no charge. If this is true and they offer unlimited data, wouldn't this be the perfect alternative to paying 20$ for theatering ?

I don't know if this would be a solution to teathering or not. But I'm getting ready to dump at&t due to their no longer having unlimited data, but when talking to verizon they informed me that they offer phones that act as their own wiresless hotspot that your laptop can pickup for no charge. If this is true and they offer unlimited data, wouldn't this be the perfect alternative to paying 20$ for theatering ?

18 of 22 (280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 8:23:50 PM
(0)
Former Employee

Mobile HotSpot on Palm Pre Plus has a 5GB cap.

19 of 22 (276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 8:48:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Caretaker on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:04:03 AM

click_clack wrote:

"I hope this does not tick you off, but what wilcre is saying is that tethering is a "feature" of the phone. "

And, what I am trying to say is that its a feature, the customer will have already paid for.  With call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID (etc...), I am getting a feature in return that I do not already own.   Apple provides the ability for the iPhone to perform tethering.   And, they have already charged us for the phone which provides us the tethering function. { Keep it relevant and appropriate } AT&T provides the internet connection.  And, they have already charged $25 for that.  If , I was billed $25 a month to have caller ID, then charged $20 more a month to actually look at it, your example would apply.

"Turning a phone into a modem is a feature. "

Agreed, and they already charged me $25 dollars for the feature.  Its how the iPhone can surf the internet, check email, etc....

"Who would have ever thought this ability would have ever happened?"

Anyone with an understanding of how the technology actually works.  Trust me, adding the ability to tether the iPhone is trivial.  The internet connection and modem function already exist.  Which is how you can surf the internet on your iPhone in the first place.

"I'm still fascinated that this stuff actually does what it does"

And this is why AT&T can charge the $20 fee.  Because the majority of people are ignorant of how technology actually works.  And, AT&T is clearly eager to take advantage.

"The question I think that should be asked is whether or not you are willing to pay $20 for this feature."

No.  {keeping it civil for the moderator}

click_clack wrote:

"I hope this does not tick you off, but what wilcre is saying is that tethering is a "feature" of the phone. "

And, what I am trying to say is that its a feature, the customer will have already paid for.  With call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID (etc...), I am getting a feature in return that I do not already own.   Apple provides the ability for the iPhone to perform tethering.   And, they have already charged us for the phone which provides us the tethering function. { Keep it relevant and appropriate } AT&T provides the internet connection.  And, they have already charged $25 for that.  If , I was billed $25 a month to have caller ID, then charged $20 more a month to actually look at it, your example would apply.

"Turning a phone into a modem is a feature. "

Agreed, and they already charged me $25 dollars for the feature.  Its how the iPhone can surf the internet, check email, etc....

"Who would have ever thought this ability would have ever happened?"

Anyone with an understanding of how the technology actually works.  Trust me, adding the ability to tether the iPhone is trivial.  The internet connection and modem function already exist.  Which is how you can surf the internet on your iPhone in the first place.

"I'm still fascinated that this stuff actually does what it does"

And this is why AT&T can charge the $20 fee.  Because the majority of people are ignorant of how technology actually works.  And, AT&T is clearly eager to take advantage.

"The question I think that should be asked is whether or not you are willing to pay $20 for this feature."

No.  {keeping it civil for the moderator}

[ Edited ]
20 of 22 (275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 3:08:34 AM
(0)
Mentor

drumn_bass wrote:

ok so its just like the "unlimited" we had before, and they don't charge for for theathering that way, so why don't people just do that then to solve the teathering problem ? It looks to me like at&t only has one phone that does so but still, for those of you that like the coverage, this seems like a good solution. If you go to verizon or sprint they have at least 2 of these phones, which means not only are their plans cheaper than at&t but you will save on theathering charges as well.

drumn_bass wrote:

ok so its just like the "unlimited" we had before, and they don't charge for for theathering that way, so why don't people just do that then to solve the teathering problem ? It looks to me like at&t only has one phone that does so but still, for those of you that like the coverage, this seems like a good solution. If you go to verizon or sprint they have at least 2 of these phones, which means not only are their plans cheaper than at&t but you will save on theathering charges as well.

21 of 22 (226 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 8:43:16 AM
(0)
Professor

click_clack wrote:

Back in the days, one actually did use the phone as a modem to tether. Very rarely now is it done this way anymore. Now, devices actually tether as a network adapter, allowing devices to tether data in the exact same manner as using the data on the device. This is actually a feature of the phone and can be done without any interaction from AT&T. However, AT&T disables this feature on the devices and forces you to download software to the pc/laptop that is going to be tethered, so that it can monitor usage. Usage is still through the cellular towers, the same as usage on the device itself, but is routed differently on the server end, so exact tethering usage is known. I don't see where charging the $20 is really justified, other than it's a money grab. The 2gb are paid for, regardless of how you use it. If one goes over, you pay for additional usage per gb, so that is covered. If you consider the 2gb for $25 plus three additional gbs for $30, that would put it at 5gb for $55, inline with the previous plan of 5gb for $60. As it stands with the $20 charge, you now pay $75 for 5 gb, a big jump in price. What would make more since is AT&T giving you some additional data to use when you purchase the tethering feature. Considering AT&T is selling additional data on the bigger plan at $10 per gb, then an additional 2gb for tethering purposes would seem fair.

click_clack wrote:

Back in the days, one actually did use the phone as a modem to tether. Very rarely now is it done this way anymore. Now, devices actually tether as a network adapter, allowing devices to tether data in the exact same manner as using the data on the device. This is actually a feature of the phone and can be done without any interaction from AT&T. However, AT&T disables this feature on the devices and forces you to download software to the pc/laptop that is going to be tethered, so that it can monitor usage. Usage is still through the cellular towers, the same as usage on the device itself, but is routed differently on the server end, so exact tethering usage is known. I don't see where charging the $20 is really justified, other than it's a money grab. The 2gb are paid for, regardless of how you use it. If one goes over, you pay for additional usage per gb, so that is covered. If you consider the 2gb for $25 plus three additional gbs for $30, that would put it at 5gb for $55, inline with the previous plan of 5gb for $60. As it stands with the $20 charge, you now pay $75 for 5 gb, a big jump in price. What would make more since is AT&T giving you some additional data to use when you purchase the tethering feature. Considering AT&T is selling additional data on the bigger plan at $10 per gb, then an additional 2gb for tethering purposes would seem fair.

22 of 22 (214 Views)