Why is tethering $20 extra?

Tutor

Why is tethering $20 extra?

1)  I will already pay for the internet connection on the phone at the rate of $25.

2)  I will only have 2GB to spend regardless of whether its tethered or not.

3)  iPhone provides the tethering technology, not AT&T

So, AT&T, I would like to understand what I am paying an additional $20 a month for exactly?

I wonder if the national media is too busy with the oil spill to dig into this bogus fee.  Maybe its time the government started to regulate again.  I suspect AT&T would not be too happy to learn one of its contractors was double dipping, so why is AT&T?

Message 1 of 22 (454 Views)
Tutor

Re: Why is tethering $20 extra?

wilcre wrote:
It is not illegal for any wireless company to charge extra for another service

And what extra service is AT&T providing me for the extra $20 fee?  The ability to use the same internet connection & 2GB of BW I already payed $25 for?  

The answer is yes, and charging me for the same thing twice is called "double dipping". I don't know the legality of double dipping.  But, it is certainly unethical.  And, it ticks off those of us who are technology savvy enough to know what's really going on. (Though, i can't help but notice it seems some AT&T employees take pride in ticking off customers.)

All it really means, is people will continue to jailbreak their phones and avoid the extra $20 fee.  I can't help but think if they had charged something small like a $5 fee, it wouldn't have been worth arguing over.  (Or Jail breaking over for that matter.) 

Message 16 of 22 (329 Views)

Velshar wrote:

wilcre wrote:
It is not illegal for any wireless company to charge extra for another service

And what extra service is AT&T providing me for the extra $20 fee?  The ability to use the same internet connection & 2GB of BW I already payed $25 for?  

The answer is yes, and charging me for the same thing twice is called "double dipping". I don't know the legality of double dipping.  But, it is certainly unethical.  And, it ticks off those of us who are technology savvy enough to know what's really going on. (Though, i can't help but notice it seems some AT&T employees take pride in ticking off customers.)

All it really means, is people will continue to jailbreak their phones and avoid the extra $20 fee.  I can't help but think if they had charged something small like a $5 fee, it wouldn't have been worth arguing over.  (Or Jail breaking over for that matter.) 

I hope this does not tick you off, but what wilcre is saying is that tethering is a "feature" of the phone.  Similar to at home you get call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID, etc.  all are features.  Each feature may or may not be included in your base price but many are rolled up into a package price (59.99).  Now, if each company would charge separately for each feature, this may not look like that big of a deal, adding another feature (other than the price point).

The question I think that should be asked is whether or not you are willing to pay $20 for this feature.  Turning a phone into a modem is a feature.  Who would have ever thought this ability would have ever happened?  I'm still fascinated that this stuff actually does what it does.  Personally, I would not see myself wanting this feature since I already have wifi on my laptop, I really would be wasting money getting tethering, even it it was only $5. 

Who knows what the market will bear on this price point.  Time will tell.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Message 17 of 22 (321 Views)
Mentor

I don't know if this would be a solution to teathering or not. But I'm getting ready to dump at&t due to their no longer having unlimited data, but when talking to verizon they informed me that they offer phones that act as their own wiresless hotspot that your laptop can pickup for no charge. If this is true and they offer unlimited data, wouldn't this be the perfect alternative to paying 20$ for theatering ?

Message 18 of 22 (305 Views)
Former Employee

Mobile HotSpot on Palm Pre Plus has a 5GB cap.

Message 19 of 22 (301 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

click_clack wrote:

I hope this does not tick you off, but what wilcre is saying is that tethering is a "feature" of the phone.  Similar to at home you get call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID, etc.  all are features.  Each feature may or may not be included in your base price but many are rolled up into a package price (59.99).  Now, if each company would charge separately for each feature, this may not look like that big of a deal, adding another feature (other than the price point).

The question I think that should be asked is whether or not you are willing to pay $20 for this feature.  Turning a phone into a modem is a feature.  Who would have ever thought this ability would have ever happened?  I'm still fascinated that this stuff actually does what it does.  Personally, I would not see myself wanting this feature since I already have wifi on my laptop, I really would be wasting money getting tethering, even it it was only $5. 

"I hope this does not tick you off, but what wilcre is saying is that tethering is a "feature" of the phone. "

And, what I am trying to say is that its a feature, the customer will have already paid for.  With call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID (etc...), I am getting a feature in return that I do not already own.   Apple provides the ability for the iPhone to perform tethering.   And, they have already charged us for the phone which provides us the tethering function. { Keep it relevant and appropriate } AT&T provides the internet connection.  And, they have already charged $25 for that.  If , I was billed $25 a month to have caller ID, then charged $20 more a month to actually look at it, your example would apply.

"Turning a phone into a modem is a feature. "

Agreed, and they already charged me $25 dollars for the feature.  Its how the iPhone can surf the internet, check email, etc....

"Who would have ever thought this ability would have ever happened?"

Anyone with an understanding of how the technology actually works.  Trust me, adding the ability to tether the iPhone is trivial.  The internet connection and modem function already exist.  Which is how you can surf the internet on your iPhone in the first place.

"I'm still fascinated that this stuff actually does what it does"

And this is why AT&T can charge the $20 fee.  Because the majority of people are ignorant of how technology actually works.  And, AT&T is clearly eager to take advantage.

"The question I think that should be asked is whether or not you are willing to pay $20 for this feature."

No.  {keeping it civil for the moderator}

Message 20 of 22 (300 Views)
Mentor

drumn_bass wrote:

Mobile HotSpot on Palm Pre Plus has a 5GB cap.

ok so its just like the "unlimited" we had before, and they don't charge for for theathering that way, so why don't people just do that then to solve the teathering problem ? It looks to me like at&t only has one phone that does so but still, for those of you that like the coverage, this seems like a good solution. If you go to verizon or sprint they have at least 2 of these phones, which means not only are their plans cheaper than at&t but you will save on theathering charges as well.

Message 21 of 22 (251 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

click_clack wrote:

Back in the days, one actually did use the phone as a modem to tether. Very rarely now is it done this way anymore. Now, devices actually tether as a network adapter, allowing devices to tether data in the exact same manner as using the data on the device. This is actually a feature of the phone and can be done without any interaction from AT&T. However, AT&T disables this feature on the devices and forces you to download software to the pc/laptop that is going to be tethered, so that it can monitor usage. Usage is still through the cellular towers, the same as usage on the device itself, but is routed differently on the server end, so exact tethering usage is known. I don't see where charging the $20 is really justified, other than it's a money grab. The 2gb are paid for, regardless of how you use it. If one goes over, you pay for additional usage per gb, so that is covered. If you consider the 2gb for $25 plus three additional gbs for $30, that would put it at 5gb for $55, inline with the previous plan of 5gb for $60. As it stands with the $20 charge, you now pay $75 for 5 gb, a big jump in price. What would make more since is AT&T giving you some additional data to use when you purchase the tethering feature. Considering AT&T is selling additional data on the bigger plan at $10 per gb, then an additional 2gb for tethering purposes would seem fair.

Message 22 of 22 (239 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.