Why is tethering $20 extra?

Tutor

Why is tethering $20 extra?

1)  I will already pay for the internet connection on the phone at the rate of $25.

2)  I will only have 2GB to spend regardless of whether its tethered or not.

3)  iPhone provides the tethering technology, not AT&T

So, AT&T, I would like to understand what I am paying an additional $20 a month for exactly?

I wonder if the national media is too busy with the oil spill to dig into this bogus fee.  Maybe its time the government started to regulate again.  I suspect AT&T would not be too happy to learn one of its contractors was double dipping, so why is AT&T?

Message 1 of 22 (455 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Why is tethering $20 extra?

Short answer — because they can.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 22 (454 Views)
Guru

Tethering has always costed extra. Before, in tethering enabled phones you had to pay $60.00 in total for 5GB of tethering and unlimited data for the phone. In smartphones it was divided in $30.00 for unl data for phones and $30.00 for 5GB of tethering data.

They only reduced the price, the data usage and enabled iPhones to have tethering too.

dmapr wrote:

I know I shouldn't, but I lol'd. Smiley Tongue

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 22 (430 Views)
Tutor

Yeah, and it was BS under the old rules too. But at least there was some argument that a person could pull data down faster from a laptop than from most mobile devices. However, with a 2GB limitation, this argument does not apply.

It was stupid before, and it just go more stupid with the 2GB limit. But hey if the consumer base isn't intelligent enough to realize they are paying for the same internet connection and the same bandwidth twice, then I guess who am I to judge. Here's your kool-aid, drink up.
Message 4 of 22 (423 Views)
Master

dmapr wrote:

Or they really don't want more people doing it.  If you really feel you must have it this is the price of admission.

Message 5 of 22 (419 Views)
Master

Yea nothing more than a premium. It would have been nice if for the $20 extra you got a 4gb limit combined phone/tether plan. Then it might have been worth something.
Message 6 of 22 (417 Views)
Professor

dmapr wrote:

Shorter answer - greed.

Message 7 of 22 (413 Views)
Mentor

But wait!!!! If you order right now we will double the offer. Twice the price for half the product. Hurry because we can't do this all day.

Message 8 of 22 (401 Views)
Tutor

I've asked the same thing in another post. To charge a $20 tethering fee on an unlimited data plan makes sense, since you're far more likely to use larger amounts of data that could actually cost the company more than it's charging you.  But, to charge even a $1 tethering fee on a limited (and I mean VERY limited) data plan is unconscionable.

It's the exact same thing as buying a 12-oz. can of Coke, then Coca-Cola Co. coming in afterward and telling you you have to pay more to drink it with a straw rather than straight from the can (just because they said so), or to divy it up between two glasses, or to drink half of it while sitting down and the other half while standing up, or because drinking it through a straw should cost more for the convenience of it not staining your teeth as badly as drinking it straight from the can, or that, even though you paid for 12 ounces, they don't want to you enjoy drinking it so much that you actually consume the full 12 ounces.

There is absolutely no justifying charging $20 extra for tethering on a limited data plan.  You're already buying that specific amount of data usage, so you basically own it.  How you decide to use it is then completely your business, and there's no way to support charging additional fees to do so.  Again, I smell a class-action lawsuit coming over this.

Message 9 of 22 (393 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

This is actually more like buying a pack of chewing gum, then Wrigley telling you you can only chew the gum on the right side of your mouth, or you'll have to pay them extra to chew it on both sides. They might even try to justify it by saying that chewing on both sides of your mouth freshens your breath better, so you should pay a premium for the right to use that gum to its full potential, even though you own it, and what you do with stuff in your own mouth is entirely your business. This smacks of an invasion of privacy, if nothing else, because they're basically telling you that you must chew your gum with your mouth open if you want to chew it after buying it, so they can make sure you chew it according to their demands.

No company is allowed to compel you, contractually or otherwise, to waive your civil rights, including your right to privacy. Nor can they refuse to sell you their goods and services for refusing to waive said rights.  But, to require you to inform their network that you're tethering your phone, whether it's in person or through software that's already on your phone telling the network you're tethering, is to invade your privacy, which is against federal law.

Are you listening, AT&T?  If you charge a fee to tether on top of the fee you already charge for a limited data plan, you will be violating federal privacy laws, and do you really want to go ahead with this plan to charge an additional $20-a-month fee just because and wait to see if you get dragged into court or even before Congress for doing so?  It could cost you a lot more in the end than you made up front.  But, at this point, especially after hearing that you sent threats to a customer that you'd serve him with a cease and desist order if he dared contact your company again to voice his concerns about your service, I almost hope you do go through with this, 'cause it'll give me such smug satisfaction to see you {word filter evasion} slapped by the feds.

Message 10 of 22 (376 Views)
Expert

ljrhodes wrote:

This is actually more like buying a pack of chewing gum, then Wrigley telling you you can only chew the gum on the right side of your mouth, or you'll have to pay them extra to chew it on both sides. They might even try to justify it by saying that chewing on both sides of your mouth freshens your breath better, so you should pay a premium for the right to use that gum to its full potential, even though you own it, and what you do with stuff in your own mouth is entirely your business. This smacks of an invasion of privacy, if nothing else, because they're basically telling you that you must chew your gum with your mouth open if you want to chew it after buying it, so they can make sure you chew it according to their demands.

No company is allowed to compel you, contractually or otherwise, to waive your civil rights, including your right to privacy. Nor can they refuse to sell you their goods and services for refusing to waive said rights.  But, to require you to inform their network that you're tethering your phone, whether it's in person or through software that's already on your phone telling the network you're tethering, is to invade your privacy, which is against federal law.

Are you listening, AT&T?  If you charge a fee to tether on top of the fee you already charge for a limited data plan, you will be violating federal privacy laws, and do you really want to go ahead with this plan to charge an additional $20-a-month fee just because and wait to see if you get dragged into court or even before Congress for doing so?  It could cost you a lot more in the end than you made up front.  But, at this point, especially after hearing that you sent threats to a customer that you'd serve him with a cease and desist order if he dared contact your company again to voice his concerns about your service, I almost hope you do go through with this, 'cause it'll give me such smug satisfaction to see you slapped by the feds.

It is not illegal for any wireless company to charge extra for another service, tethering is now going to be listed as a seperate feature instead of being a different price point, they used to charge $30 for the data from the device and then $30 for the tethering so you either paid $30 or a $60 charge depending on what you were doing, now they are charging $20 for a single feature which is tethering and it can be added and or removed any time, as for invasion of privacy it is not as you state, you agreed to their terms and conditions when you activated, they did not hold anything against you to make you sign up for their service and or even use it, you did that of your own free will, you also took it upon yourself to keep the service past the initial 3 days of activation which means that the activation fee is not waived and once past the full buyers remorse you fully agreed to keep their service for the remainder of the contractual obligation you agreed to, everything falls upon the individual and not the company, if you do nto agree with what the company is doing leave and dont let the door hit you on the way out, take ownership of your actions you did on your own for once because it has to start somewhere.

Message 11 of 22 (354 Views)
Professor

Wow, so let me get this straight, AT&T is forcing you to use a data plan on a device that YOU chose (smartphone) YOU complain that its 30.00, "i cant afford that" so AT&T makes some new data plans and now "its not enough" DEAL WITH IT, and yes at&t can do it you signed a contract with them...also if you have the 30.00 ulim plans you are grandfathered in!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 22 (350 Views)
Professor

Also tje reason its extra is because you use more. Using more data bogs down the network requiring att to enhance it which costs extra. Thats why you pay extra. Trust me, i have a hacked iphone and i can tether, since then my monthly usage went from 1 to 2 gb per month upwards sround 10-15 gb per month

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 22 (348 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

MrKroppcircles wrote:
Also tje reason its extra is because you use more. Using more data bogs down the network requiring att to enhance it which costs extra. Thats why you pay extra. Trust me, i have a hacked iphone and i can tether, since then my monthly usage went from 1 to 2 gb per month upwards sround 10-15 gb per month

I think you are missing the point. If you use more, then you will pay more at $10/gb. The $20 charge is superfluous. In your example, you would be paying an extra $80-$130 for your usage. Don't you think that will cover ATT extra costs?

Message 14 of 22 (341 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

MrKroppcircles wrote:

{Keep it courteous}  On the new plan, you only get 2GB period.  So, if you tether and suck down your 2 GB faster, its gone.  Makes no difference whether I use the iPhone to do it or the laptop to do it.  Same connection, same bandwidth, same limit.  

Based on the old rules, I would agree, that the charge made sense.  Based on the new rules, it makes no sense.  And by your example, you would be paying $10 extra for every gig you pull over 2 under the new rules.  So tethered or not, your paying for the data you use now.  Why charge customers a $20 premium.

Also with that price, people will continue to steal tethering anyway so it really makes no difference.

Message 15 of 22 (330 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.