Why is my new iPhone 4 soooooo slow (3G and WiFi)?

Tutor

Why is my new iPhone 4 soooooo slow (3G and WiFi)?

First off.  Hello.  My first time here.  

Got a couple iphone 4's for my wife and I a few days ago. The phones are slower than poo via wifi or 3g. It's really random, too (graph looks like a saw). I did some searching on the internet, but wasn't able to find a definitive answer, let alone a resolution, but it looks like the problem is real, as others are experiencing something similar.

For example, it took my wife's phone over an hour to download the speedtest.net app from the app store. The latest test results show 0.04, 0.01, and 0.22 Mbps for download speeds. By comparison, my android phone is pulling between 5 and 6 Mbps. Same network, same router, same time. Youtube and Netflix are useless, 3g or wifi. What's going on here? 

Oh, and I've updated the OS to 4.1 yesterday, and it didn't make a difference.

The phones are nice, and if we can fix the speed issue, I'd be happy as a clam.  But as it stands right now, I'm ready to return them (I'm still in my 30 day trial).

I just learned how to do some screen shots, so here they are.  

3G

Slow iphone 3g

WiFi from last night...

Slow iphone WiFi

Message 1 of 20
Tutor

Re: Why is my new iPhone 4 soooooo slow (3G and WiFi)?

How did you do the screen shots?  Thats awesome!!!

Message 2 of 20
Tutor

Screenshot:  Hold down the power button, then press the home button.  Bam!  

Message 3 of 20
Teacher

First off, those results (as I'm sure you're aware) are not normal.

Is it safe to assume your coverage area where you tested was the same 4 bars (as showing in your screen captures)?  If so, then your data speeds make no sense (in reference to 3G); hard to say what may be happening with wifi.

May also want to try a reset all network settings and a hard reboot (press and hold power AND home button until you see the apple logo).

If that doesn't work, either restore as new phone using itunes, or try an exchange at the store.

In any case, good luck!

Message 4 of 20
Tutor

Yes, I had 4 to 5 bars of service showing on all tests.  I'm also in a very modern, very nice area of town (Overland Park, KS), in a good sized city (Kansas City Metro).  

Yes, I've reset all network settings, hard reboot, and upgraded OS system.  Both my, and my wife's phones are having issues.  

I went to the AT&T store over lunch. Did some more testing as well. Seems like whenever there's a roof over my head, regardless of signal strength, speed is sloooow. Outside, while driving to AT&T, I pulled 1.47, 2.12, and 1.2Mbps (that's still slow compared to what I'm used to for the area; my T-Mobile Android phone was always over 3 Mbps.  At the AT&T store, I pulled 0.60, 0.81, and 0.60. The guy at the AT&T store was pulling 0.3x on his personal iPhone. Maybe it's a network issue (he looked it up, and no reports of outages)? Still doesn't explain the slow wifi. I'm back at work now, inside, 5/5 bars, just pulled 0.11, 0.01, and 0.00. I also downloaded the FCC test app. Similar results. 

I have an appointment with Apple tomorrow at the Apple Store Genius Bar (whatever that is) to see if they can figure it out. I am not optimistic about the outcome.  Good thing I'm still in my first 30 day trial period I guess.

Message 5 of 20
Tutor

Here's a good one for you...

iPhone 4 - Super Slow Internet

Message 6 of 20
Professor

Corners wrote:
Outside, while driving to AT&T, I pulled 1.47, 2.12, and 1.2Mbps (that's still slow compared to what I'm used to for the area; my T-Mobile Android phone was always over 3 Mbps.

Comparing download speed on AT&T vs TMO isn't really a valid comparison.

TMO's network in general I would expect to be less congested.

If other AT&T users in your area are experiencing similar data transfer rates, then it's just the way the network is in your area.

It certaly is sloooooooow compaired to what 3G can be.  It is possible that a tower or several towers in the are are having issues.  It's also possible there simply isn't enough backhaul in the area to support faster 3G speeds.  Speed on the 3G network is limited by the speed of the network connection at the tower.

Message 7 of 20
Tutor

The guy at the store looked it up, and there's no reported tower issues.

This also doesn't explain the slow wifi.

Message 8 of 20
Tutor

Results from this afternoon...

Super Slow iphone 4

Message 9 of 20

On my home Wifi I get 14mbps down and 2.76mbps up.  Speedtest on my computer via wifi gets 18 down and 2.9 up, so it seems like 14 is the upper limit of the phone.  The upload speeds are the same since 3mbps is within the iPhone's capability.

I would say that if your phone isn't getting similar numbers to your computer over the same wifi, then there is something wrong with it.  I can knock a couple bars off my phone's reception with the "death grip", but it doesn't reduce wifi reception, so I don't think the antenna problem would be to blame here.

Message 10 of 20
Tutor

On my FIOS service with the Iphone I get between 17 and 20 meg down and 5.5 meg up.  Same speed as my desktops.    Still doesn't explain the issues this person has.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Message 11 of 20
Mentor

I had major problems for over a month after I upgraded from a 3G to an i4.  I talked with MANY people with AT&T to solve the problems and none of the "solutions" worked.  What eventually worked is when I spoke with a tech manager and had him remove and then immediately re-add my data service.  It had to be a manager because I have unlimited data service.

Message 12 of 20
Scholar

yeah, simply looking at the numbers is scratch your head worthy.

Also, your wi-fi should be nearly the same as your computer connected via wi-fi.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 20
Professor

These are my results. Nothing stellar, but nowhere near as bad either.

Message 14 of 20
Tutor

Well guys, looks like the phones are going back.  There is clearly a defect with the phones and I have no solution.  The defect with the phones is very picky.  I've found some routers (like the one at the apple store) to work great, then others, like the one in my house, are terrible.  I simply don't have time to figure out why an iphone is having so much trouble when my old android phones fly, as well as my laptop, desktop, and wii.  Going back to android.  What a shame.  The phone (screen, size, and features) was great.  But I simply cannot support this design flaw on top of a carrier know for coverage issues and data usage caps.  Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 20
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support