Why is my new iPhone 4 soooooo slow (3G and WiFi)?

Tutor

Why is my new iPhone 4 soooooo slow (3G and WiFi)?

First off.  Hello.  My first time here.  

Got a couple iphone 4's for my wife and I a few days ago. The phones are slower than poo via wifi or 3g. It's really random, too (graph looks like a saw). I did some searching on the internet, but wasn't able to find a definitive answer, let alone a resolution, but it looks like the problem is real, as others are experiencing something similar.

For example, it took my wife's phone over an hour to download the speedtest.net app from the app store. The latest test results show 0.04, 0.01, and 0.22 Mbps for download speeds. By comparison, my android phone is pulling between 5 and 6 Mbps. Same network, same router, same time. Youtube and Netflix are useless, 3g or wifi. What's going on here? 

Oh, and I've updated the OS to 4.1 yesterday, and it didn't make a difference.

The phones are nice, and if we can fix the speed issue, I'd be happy as a clam.  But as it stands right now, I'm ready to return them (I'm still in my 30 day trial).

I just learned how to do some screen shots, so here they are.  

3G

Slow iphone 3g

WiFi from last night...

Slow iphone WiFi

Message 1 of 20 (39,047 Views)
Professor

Re: Why is my new iPhone 4 soooooo slow (3G and WiFi)?

Sorry to see you go. Fir me, the iPhone/AT&T combination has been the best ever experienced. I hate to see people have do much trouble with them, they end up leaving.

But at the same time I realize everything can't be perfect (or been ok) for everyone.

Good luck on switching. There are some great choices out there. Hopefully you'll find the one that fits.
Message 16 of 20 (32,454 Views)
Tutor

I wish it worked too.  Smiley Sad  Everything is great, except for WiFi.  Googling around it appears I'm not the only one with the issues.  It's a really bad design flaw with the phone.  Very disappointing .  

I've also decided that the "perfect" phone would be an iphone 4, running Android 2.2 on Verizon's network using Sprint/Clear's 4G with T-mobile's customer service and pricing.  Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 20 (32,445 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

Good luck. I've found the iP4s to connect to every modern router (where modern == less than three years old) and espcially all N routers to be excellent.

But obviously, your milage may vary.

Edit: for example here at work on our n network, getting 11.38Mbps down, 8.87Mbps up on wifi.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 20 (32,441 Views)
Professor

Wow! That's blazing! I have an older G router (maybe 7 years old), and I have no problems whatsoever. But I don't get anywhere near that speed. Anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 MBPS download speeds is normal, which is actually fine for me.
Message 19 of 20 (32,427 Views)
Highlighted

Message 20 of 20 (31,339 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support