Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 10, 2012
12:07:15 PM
View profile
Why is AT&T all of a sudden charging me for my iPhone?
I've had an iPhone 3GS since 2010. I bought it off my friend for cheap because she didn't need/want it anymore. I put my sim card in it and activated it and everything was good (of course I couldn't do anything without wifi minus make calls and text). The phone company just called saying since Dec. 8 last year, they notice I'm using an iPhone so they changed my data plan. Why did it take them that long to realize? I use wifi when and home and when I'm not at home I always had 3G off and just recently I turned cellular data on (in december actually. Is that why?) to receive an mms and forgot to turn it off. I don't really want to use any other data and I know it's required to use the phone which is why I'm confused it took them this long to notice. I just want to use my old phone. Is there a way to get rid of the data plan they're charging me for?

Not sure if I asked that the correct way.
I've had an iPhone 3GS since 2010. I bought it off my friend for cheap because she didn't need/want it anymore. I put my sim card in it and activated it and everything was good (of course I couldn't do anything without wifi minus make calls and text). The phone company just called saying since Dec. 8 last year, they notice I'm using an iPhone so they changed my data plan. Why did it take them that long to realize? I use wifi when and home and when I'm not at home I always had 3G off and just recently I turned cellular data on (in december actually. Is that why?) to receive an mms and forgot to turn it off. I don't really want to use any other data and I know it's required to use the phone which is why I'm confused it took them this long to notice. I just want to use my old phone. Is there a way to get rid of the data plan they're charging me for?

Not sure if I asked that the correct way.

Why is AT&T all of a sudden charging me for my iPhone?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2012 1:08:55 PM
(0)
Guru

There's no way for us to answer that question. Maybe they've stepped up compliance audits to determine non-grandfathered smartphones that didn't have data plans. Maybe it pinged in the system the moment you turned cellular data on.

Regardless of the reason, you will no longer be able to use that iPhone or any other smartphone without a data plan. There is NO way to use an iPhone without a data plan.

There's no way for us to answer that question. Maybe they've stepped up compliance audits to determine non-grandfathered smartphones that didn't have data plans. Maybe it pinged in the system the moment you turned cellular data on.

Regardless of the reason, you will no longer be able to use that iPhone or any other smartphone without a data plan. There is NO way to use an iPhone without a data plan.

Re: Why is AT&T all of a sudden charging me for my iPhone?

2 of 6 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2012 1:24:06 PM
(0)
Contributor
So if I don't use it as a phone anymore, can I contact them to tell them to cancel the data plan?
So if I don't use it as a phone anymore, can I contact them to tell them to cancel the data plan?

3 of 6 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2012 1:53:47 PM
(0)
Expert

Unbelieber wrote:

If you transfer the sim to a phone that does not require a data plan (which is ANY smartphone) you can call ATT with the IMEI number and request to remove the data plan.

Unbelieber wrote:

If you transfer the sim to a phone that does not require a data plan (which is ANY smartphone) you can call ATT with the IMEI number and request to remove the data plan.

4 of 6 (884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2012 7:25:37 PM
(0)
Employee
Keep in mind though, once you change devices, make sure that you don't put the sim back into the iPhone, as the system will add the data right back on.
Keep in mind though, once you change devices, make sure that you don't put the sim back into the iPhone, as the system will add the data right back on.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 4:16:01 PM
(0)
Moved for better exposure

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

6 of 6 (781 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments