Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 20, 2012
7:27:56 PM
View profile
Why doesn't AT&T allow people to turn off 3G?

After seeing the beta release of iOS 5.1 did have the 3G toggle restored I got all happy.  Why is it the only Apple devices on AT&T's network that allow you to shut off 3G are the iPhone 3GS and 4?  Why don't I have that option with my 4s?  I know its not only the iPhone but why can't people turn off 3G at their will?

Turning 3G off enables me to:

Have much better battery life

Have a much better signal at home

After seeing the beta release of iOS 5.1 did have the 3G toggle restored I got all happy.  Why is it the only Apple devices on AT&T's network that allow you to shut off 3G are the iPhone 3GS and 4?  Why don't I have that option with my 4s?  I know its not only the iPhone but why can't people turn off 3G at their will?

Turning 3G off enables me to:

Have much better battery life

Have a much better signal at home

Why doesn't AT&T allow people to turn off 3G?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 7:33:07 PM
(0)
Guru

Re: Why doesn't AT&T allow people to turn off 3G?

2 of 11 (3,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 7:44:40 PM
(0)
Master
Go to Apple's site and file a suggestion. http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

On my 4, I can go to Settings>General>Network>Enable 3G

Are you saying this option is missing on the 4s?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Go to Apple's site and file a suggestion. http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

On my 4, I can go to Settings>General>Network>Enable 3G

Are you saying this option is missing on the 4s?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 11 (3,263 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 7:48:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Indeed youngjm, that feature has been removed in the iPhone 4S. Smiley Wink
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Indeed youngjm, that feature has been removed in the iPhone 4S. Smiley Wink
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (3,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 9:03:58 PM
(0)
Scholar
Read the 4G toggle thread it explains such matter there

The 3G on/off is missing on AT&T 4S for some sort of reason
But it's present on non branded phones eg sim free ones
And of course mine which is a British 4S Smiley Happy
Read the 4G toggle thread it explains such matter there

The 3G on/off is missing on AT&T 4S for some sort of reason
But it's present on non branded phones eg sim free ones
And of course mine which is a British 4S Smiley Happy

5 of 11 (3,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2012 4:06:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

I've already notified Apple, probably about a dozens times on this issue.  Apparently THEY DID restore it in 5.1 but its absent when using AT&T.  If you purchase an unlocked iPhone and pop a T-Mobile sim card in there, the option to turn off 3G is there.  Of course the iPhone on T-Mobile can't get 3G but the option is still there, so why not on AT&T?

I've already notified Apple, probably about a dozens times on this issue.  Apparently THEY DID restore it in 5.1 but its absent when using AT&T.  If you purchase an unlocked iPhone and pop a T-Mobile sim card in there, the option to turn off 3G is there.  Of course the iPhone on T-Mobile can't get 3G but the option is still there, so why not on AT&T?

6 of 11 (3,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2012 9:57:06 AM
(0)
Scholar

MJB0188 wrote:

One can kinda infer from the above that perhaps AT&T may have had something to do with the 3G toggle not being available in iOS 5.x on iPhone 4S; T-Mobile had nothing to do with the 3G toggle option being there when a T-Mo SIM is popped into an iPhone 4S since T-Mo doesn't even offer iPhones for use on their network, and I reckon Apple wouldn't just put code into their iOS that would disable the appearance of the 3G toggle when on AT&T's (or other certain carriers') network yet the toggle is there when on certain other carriers' networks--at least not without some kind of input from the carriers themselves.

MJB0188 wrote:

One can kinda infer from the above that perhaps AT&T may have had something to do with the 3G toggle not being available in iOS 5.x on iPhone 4S; T-Mobile had nothing to do with the 3G toggle option being there when a T-Mo SIM is popped into an iPhone 4S since T-Mo doesn't even offer iPhones for use on their network, and I reckon Apple wouldn't just put code into their iOS that would disable the appearance of the 3G toggle when on AT&T's (or other certain carriers') network yet the toggle is there when on certain other carriers' networks--at least not without some kind of input from the carriers themselves.

7 of 11 (3,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2012 6:25:19 AM
(0)
Master

It' pretty simple.  AT&T is starting to move more spectrum from the 2G network over to 3G in some large cities such as NYC.  AT&T has already sent letters to customers in those area advising them that they must use a 3G device in order to have the best level of service. 

Because of this AT&T has probably decided to not allow the 3G toggle on iPhones to be visibile. They want as few people on 2G as possible in these congested markets.   It's pretty typical of the type of control AT&T likes to deploy.  On most model phones they also disable manual network search in North America. 

It' pretty simple.  AT&T is starting to move more spectrum from the 2G network over to 3G in some large cities such as NYC.  AT&T has already sent letters to customers in those area advising them that they must use a 3G device in order to have the best level of service. 

Because of this AT&T has probably decided to not allow the 3G toggle on iPhones to be visibile. They want as few people on 2G as possible in these congested markets.   It's pretty typical of the type of control AT&T likes to deploy.  On most model phones they also disable manual network search in North America. 

8 of 11 (3,129 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2012 8:24:34 AM
(0)
Scholar

DWC1 wrote:
On most model phones they also disable manual network search in North America. 

Off-topic on my part, but I remember seeing that feature on my old RAZR...

DWC1 wrote:

9 of 11 (3,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2012 9:57:44 AM
(0)
Master

anton697 wrote:

DWC1 wrote:

That old feature is still "there" on most phones.  You simply can't see it unless you are roaming outside of North America.  AT&T hides it from you just like they hide the 3G on/off switch on iPhones.

anton697 wrote:

DWC1 wrote:

That old feature is still "there" on most phones.  You simply can't see it unless you are roaming outside of North America.  AT&T hides it from you just like they hide the 3G on/off switch on iPhones.

10 of 11 (3,106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2012 12:55:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

DWC1 wrote:

anton697 wrote:

DWC1 wrote:

Yeah that's true--however I do know that there were ways to "unhide" it on some phones--on the old RAZRs you could get it to appear by manipulating some bits in a non-AT&T RAZR firmware version, then flashing it to the RAZR.  Yes I know it's not standard procedure (i.e., it could possibly void your warranty) but doing so (loading non-standard firmware) wouldn't be that much different from jailbreaking an iPhone.

DWC1 wrote:

anton697 wrote:

DWC1 wrote:

Yeah that's true--however I do know that there were ways to "unhide" it on some phones--on the old RAZRs you could get it to appear by manipulating some bits in a non-AT&T RAZR firmware version, then flashing it to the RAZR.  Yes I know it's not standard procedure (i.e., it could possibly void your warranty) but doing so (loading non-standard firmware) wouldn't be that much different from jailbreaking an iPhone.

11 of 11 (2,969 Views)