Helpful Links

Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

Teacher

Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

I am asking here on the forums because I have spent over 2 hours of my time on the phone with AT&T trying to get an answer.  I would like the capability to tether my phone to my laptop, I do NOT want to use it as a hotspot.  Last I checked, my phone is only capable of sending and receiving a finite amount of data up and dow stream.  Why do I have to pay 15 dollars a month more and give up my old unlimited data plan. When I bought my original iPhone in July 2007, AT&T wouldn't even give me service without an "Unlimited" Data plan.  So I have been paying it for almost 4 years now.  Now they tell me that if I want to keep my evil unlimited plan, no new capabilities for you.  So glad I have been a loyal customer.  All I want is the option to tether without the hotspot, that way they know I can't abuse the network and I don't get rubbed the wrong way to the point that I go to Verizon out of spite.  I don't want to jailbreak my phone.  I would prefer that AT&T allow me to do this legally.  Again, over 2 hours on the phone with them has yielded me nothing, not even an explanation as to why.  "Well sir, that is above my level", alright, connect me to that level please.  If anyone has input (AT&T folks please) it would be greatly appreciated.

83,068 Views
Message 1 of 155
Teacher

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

It shouldn't cost you anything to use the amount od data you bought however you wanted to. Free tether on USA seems like a fantasy because companies have been screwing us over for years. (Look at other countries). Att reported not long ago 98% of their users use less than 2GB... I guess it's easier to charge everyone more instead of dealing with 2% of the abusers? It's all about greed, never about you.

Message 76 of 155
Teacher

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

 


qb.84 wrote:

It shouldn't cost you anything to use the amount od data you bought however you wanted to. Free tether on USA seems like a fantasy because companies have been screwing us over for years. (Look at other countries). Att reported not long ago 98% of their users use less than 2GB... I guess it's easier to charge everyone more instead of dealing with 2% of the abusers? It's all about greed, never about you.


 

 

I agree the amount of data you bought should not be restricted to how you want to use it. However, ATT recently added extra 2GB for tethering users so its kinda free now. When you tether you are more likely to use more than 2GB.

 

However, I do not believe (if you read my previous post carefully) users on unlimited plan should not be charged tethering or be switched to metered data to be able to do so. 

 

On side, don't believe statistics than less than 98% people use less than 2GB. I use from time to time Netflix, listen to pandora, view some websites on my iPhone and I easily exceed 1.5 GB. in less than a month. 

 

Now they use similar claim for DSL and U-Verse users that they typically only use 18GB a month, but I am not power user, I use netflix, hulu, watch other videos on website and I exceed more than 40 GB. The highest usage I had in past for a month was around 120 or 140 GB. 

 

Message 77 of 155
Professor

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

 


qb.84 wrote:

It shouldn't cost you anything to use the amount od data you bought however you wanted to.


 

You can, on your phone, per the terms YOU agreed to when YOU decided YOU wanted to pay for YOUR service.

 

Seriously. This is not rocket science.

Message 78 of 155
Contributor

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

Your argument doesn't hold water.  What AT&T is doing is what the Cable companies TRIED to do when Cable Modems first came out.  They wanted to charge more if you were Networking in your house.  This is EXACTLY the same issue.  They are getting away with it and it SUCKS.  Some other carrier needs to step up and stop this.

Message 79 of 155
Professor

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

 


darrylw64 wrote:

Your argument doesn't hold water.  What AT&T is doing is what the Cable companies TRIED to do when Cable Modems first came out.  They wanted to charge more if you were Networking in your house.  This is EXACTLY the same issue.  They are getting away with it and it SUCKS.  Some other carrier needs to step up and stop this.


Nope. Sorry, not the same. Your house doesn't move.

 

Message 80 of 155

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?


johninsj wrote:

 

Nope. Sorry, not the same. Your house doesn't move.

 


I get your point here, but, just for argument's sake, it could be argued that setting up a wired network is actually more expensive than setting up a cellular network because where one strategically placed cell tower could service thousands of customers, to do the same with a wired network requires, at the least, a wire and cable modem at each and every customer's home.

As for tethering, charge for it what you want, just don't call it a service as the cellular provider doesn't have to do anything different, or need any extra infrastructure to support it.

 

As for acting as a mobile hot spot, I understand charging extra for that, there's potential revenue they may not earn if people consistantly use the feature, so charging extra for that feature makes up for some of the unearned income.

Message 81 of 155
ACE - Master

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

 


johninsj wrote:

 ...


John, it's fairly obvious that you're just spinning your wheels here.  This "person" isn't listening to logic or reason.  They feel they they know better than anyone else, and they are ignoring what they can't refute.  They've already made up their mind and they can't understand why others won't change their opinion and agree with their form of reality...

 

 

Apple is advertising the hot spot as a feature of the iOS, so it's obvios that AT&T doesn't have to do anything to make it work.  Just because you can't activate that "feature" without AT&T doing something on their end doesn't mean that AT&T as to do anything to provide this service to the customers, so they (the customers) should get it for free since Apple is providing it as a part of iOS...  Yeah, the customers can jailbreak their device and steal this service (until they get caught), so it's obvious that everyone should get it for free, and BTW, AT&T will have to increase their rates to cover the losses to due to all those deserving people steaing this service...


Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 82 of 155
Scholar

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

 


GeekBoy wrote:

 


johninsj wrote:

 ...


John, it's fairly obvious that you're just spinning your wheels here.  This "person" isn't listening to logic or reason.  They feel they they know better than anyone else, and they are ignoring what they can't refute.  They've already made up their mind and they can't understand why others won't change their opinion and agree with their form of reality...

 

 

Apple is advertising the hot spot as a feature of the iOS, so it's obvios that AT&T doesn't have to do anything to make it work.  Just because you can't activate that "feature" without AT&T doing something on their end doesn't mean that AT&T as to do anything to provide this service to the customers, so they (the customers) should get it for free since Apple is providing it as a part of iOS...  Yeah, the customers can jailbreak their device and steal this service (until they get caught), so it's obvious that everyone should get it for free, and BTW, AT&T will have to increase their rates to cover the losses to due to all those deserving people steaing this service...


 

The analogy is:

Since my car has onStar built in, I should get if for free because GM included it.

Message 83 of 155
Guru

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

 


collegeboi87 wrote:

There are so many people on dslreports.com forum that think tethering cost nothing and should be free. And they think ATT is "evil" for kicking people out from their grandfathered unlimited plan when jailbreaking their phones and doing tethering. A lot of them treat it as a wireline replacement and use more than 20GB on 3G. 

 

They course and troll because of that. See comments for yourself.

 

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Warning-Users-Over-Unofficial-Tethering-113246

 

They don't understand they are burden and slow down other users. They are the cause that increases costs and get passed on to others. 

 


 

Really?  Slow down other users?  Which users are you talking about--the ones who constantly brag about how they almost consistently get 2 Mbps download/1 Mbps upload speeds?  Apparently the illegal tetherers aren't affecting these users' 3G data throughput.  You hardly hear many folks complain about slow 3G speeds, and every time someone does complain about slow speeds--almost always there are at least 2-3 folks who respond back that they don't experience any slow speeds at all.

 

So I ask again...what users would these illegal tetherers be slowing down?  Smiley Wink

 

And no, I'm not trying to argue that AT&T shouldn't charge for tethering...just that I find it amusing that some folks believe that (illegal) tethering slows down other users--i.e., it burdens the network.

 

IIRC, someone stated that 98% of AT&T smartphone users use no more than 200 MB per month; if true, then how many users in that 2% who use more than 200 MB typically use more than 4 GB/month...and out of those users who use > 4 GB, how many of them are doing so via illegal tethering?  If each and every single one of these illegal tetherers decided to start tethering legally...would you think for one moment that these folks would no longer be slowing down other users?  Unless you could prove that each and every one of these illegal tetherers were pulling in more than 4 GB/month, having them legally tether would not necessarily make things better for other users--after all, whether someone is tethering legally or illegally...they are still tethering...and if you were to argue that illegally tethering causes slowdown for other users, what makes you think that legal tethering would make a significant difference for the better...especially if all illegal tetherers now chose to do so legally?

 

IMHO--it is not the illegal tetherers that are the main culprit of burdening AT&T's 3G network--it is AT&T's own 3G infrastructure that is the culprit.  After all, it couldn't initially handle the millions of users who started to use iPhone 3G (and newer) for some time...and even AT&T admits that their 3G network could be better.  I would be even so bold to say not only that, but it's also the millions of iPhone users who've made the 3G network slower for the rest of the non-iPhone smartphone users--I mean, until Android came onto the scene there were probably more iPhone users on AT&T's network than there were all other AT&T non-iPhone smartphone users combined...so please tell me--what do you really think made things slower for other users--people tethering illegally...or the millions and millions of iPhone users?  Smiley Wink

Message 84 of 155

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?


smalcom wrote:

 

The analogy is:

Since my car has onStar built in, I should get if for free because GM included it.


Incorrect analogy, please try again.

Message 85 of 155
Professor

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

smalcom wrote:

 

The analogy is:

Since my car has onStar built in, I should get if for free because GM included it.


Incorrect analogy, please try again.


 

No analogies are needed, as we've already beat to death, since the agreement you agree to clearly states you can't tether/share data off the phone, without a tethering plan.

 

So the analogy is simply this. This is exactly the same as signing any other legally binding contract, and then being unhappy with the terms of that legally binding contract. Fairness, "it should be this way", or any other argument are irrelevant.

 

If you don't agree with the terms of a contract, don't enter into the legally binding contract. Yay, freedom.

Message 86 of 155

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?


johninsj wrote:

 

No analogies are needed, as we've already beat to death, since the agreement you agree to clearly states you can't tether/share data off the phone, without a tethering plan.

 

So the analogy is simply this. This is exactly the same as signing any other legally binding contract, and then being unhappy with the terms of that legally binding contract. Fairness, "it should be this way", or any other argument are irrelevant.

 

If you don't agree with the terms of a contract, don't enter into the legally binding contract. Yay, freedom.


Y'know, I've never said I didn't agree with paying for tethering, if I were to use it.  I said I did not accept AT&T calling it a 'service' and trying to charge for it as such, since it's not a 'service'.

My original contract that I agreed to oh so long ago, didn't contain any limitations on a data, tethering, mobile hotspot (well wasn't even a viable technology that far back)...  All that was added later.

 

Anyway, the way tethering is wrapped up into a defacto 'new tier' of data service 4gb/month with tethering enabled is more palatable than the previous 2gb/month data + 20bucks per month extra to keep the tethering feature turned on.

 

Again, it's not a service, don't call it a service, and don't charge for it and effectively give NOTHING additional for that charge.  That's the point I've been discussing.

Message 87 of 155
Professor

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

johninsj wrote:

 

No analogies are needed, as we've already beat to death, since the agreement you agree to clearly states you can't tether/share data off the phone, without a tethering plan.

 

So the analogy is simply this. This is exactly the same as signing any other legally binding contract, and then being unhappy with the terms of that legally binding contract. Fairness, "it should be this way", or any other argument are irrelevant.

 

If you don't agree with the terms of a contract, don't enter into the legally binding contract. Yay, freedom.


Y'know, I've never said I didn't agree with paying for tethering, if I were to use it.  I said I did not accept AT&T calling it a 'service' and trying to charge for it as such, since it's not a 'service'.

My original contract that I agreed to oh so long ago, didn't contain any limitations on a data, tethering, mobile hotspot (well wasn't even a viable technology that far back)...  All that was added later.

 


 

If it was an iPhone data contract it sure did. I suggest you check again. This has been part of the AT&T data verbiage going back well more than 5 years.

 

 

Message 88 of 155
Expert

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?


DimentoGraven wrote:

smalcom wrote:

 

The analogy is:

Since my car has onStar built in, I should get if for free because GM included it.


Incorrect analogy, please try again.


really why?

 

It is a feature that is included with a GM car, you must to pay a fee to use the feature

 

Tethering is a feature that is included with a smartphone, you must pay a fee to utilize the feature

 

both are features of the underlying device, both have a monthly reoccurring cost to utilize the feature, the exact same can be said for Sirrius / XM radio - it is a feture of the device, to utilize it you must pay a fee, even though you already get OTA radio for free

 

 

Message 89 of 155

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

 


johninsj wrote:

 

If it was an iPhone data contract it sure did. I suggest you check again. This has been part of the AT&T data verbiage going back well more than 5 years.

 

 


Of note, I at least have had data service from AT&T for quite a bit longer than 5 years, so I'm pretty sure that the verbiage in question was not in the original contact I signed.  That being said, I have signed a new contract each time I've gotten a subsidized phone since then, so it isn't like the new contract doesn't apply to me. Smiley Happy

 

Message 90 of 155
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support