Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

Expert

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

acmo5 wrote:

Jailbreak it. Jail breaking is not illegally.

100 percent correct, jail break anything you want, as mentioned theft of services is - your contract does not allow tehtering unless you pay for it.

Message 31 of 155

archermoo wrote:

Except that they aren't charging extra anymore, even for using the phone as a hotspot.  You just have to pay for 4GB of data upfront instead of just 2GB.

Yes, structured that way it is moderately more palatable, I agree.

Message 32 of 155

johninsj wrote:

Yes, it is an additional service of AT&T. They sell a hotspot device, or you can use the iPhone as a hotspot device. In either case, you pay for the hotspot service. Your existing data service is for data use on the device. This service is for hotspot data usage by other devices.

That you choose to use an iPhone instead of, for example, a MiFi, is irrelevant to AT&T - their DataConnect 3G plan for the MiFi is $35 for 3GB.

No, it's NOT a service, other than turning on the FEATURE of your DEVICE, exactly WHAT "additional" network specific functionality is AT&T providing?  There is no additional technology provided by AT&T that is required to support this.  All they do is turn the feature on and add a new monthly charge to your bill, that's it. 

There's no new "service" involved as it only utilizes the existing data service that was ALREADY being paid for.

At least now, they're not charging "extra" to turn it on, they're just essentially making you buy a "bigger" monthly tier, 4gb as opposed to what it was before, 2gb plus the extra charge, no additional data allotment.

Message 33 of 155

Tidbits wrote:

A newborn will never at as much as his/her mother will in the same time span.  A computer CAN and OFTEN eat more than 2-3x in the same timespan as a mobile device.  It doesn't fit at all.  It's a stretch sorry, but his comparision is way off. 

Seriously, you have to be being INTENTIONLLY obtuse here.  There's no way that a tethered device will EVER be able to cause the phone to suck in more data than what the phone is capable of drawing in.  If the phone can only receive 50mb/sec, then AT MOST that's all the tethered device will be able to get.  I say "AT MOST" because the cell phone will have it's own overhead in that data draw, so it will be 50mb/sec - cell phone overhead = actual throughput utilized by the laptop.

Just like there's no way to turn a 10mb TP network card into a GB TP network card by plugging it into a 10 port switch, you can't make the cell phone give data faster than it's designed or the network provider is capable of putting out.

Message 34 of 155

wingrider01 wrote:

BIGWHITE2K9 wrote:

Can't you jailbreak your phone & get tethering & keep your unlimited data plan.?  I don't have my phone jailbroken but I know a friend that jailbroke his iphone but since we didn't have 3G at the time it was pointless.  I know I'm fin to get killed for saying the banned "jailbreak" word here.  If I have unlimited internet for $30 & to get tethering I have to pay $45 for 4GB.  Most people would consider jailbreaking there device not to lose the unlimited data plan I would think.  plus you can do facetime over 3G instead of just wifi. 

technically yes, legally no - by doing that you are violating the service agreement that you have with the provider. Guess it just depends on the end user and how they feel about it, you are knowingly violating a legally binding agreement by doing it.

But this just goes to show you that there is no "additional" service being provided by AT&T, it's a feature that's built into the smartphone that's just turned off to give cellular providers another thing they can charge for.  However, it wouldn't be all that hard for AT&T to detect when people are tethering/hot spotting on a jailbroken phone.  Just look at the packets and look for where they're ultimately originated from/destined to on the smartphone side.  Any OSI compliant networking architecture will have in the packet header information on physical and session destination.  Anything with a 'NAT'd' IP, or a session ID not typically present on a smartphone and you're busted.

Message 35 of 155
Expert

DimentoGraven wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

BIGWHITE2K9 wrote:

Can't you jailbreak your phone & get tethering & keep your unlimited data plan.?  I don't have my phone jailbroken but I know a friend that jailbroke his iphone but since we didn't have 3G at the time it was pointless.  I know I'm fin to get killed for saying the banned "jailbreak" word here.  If I have unlimited internet for $30 & to get tethering I have to pay $45 for 4GB.  Most people would consider jailbreaking there device not to lose the unlimited data plan I would think.  plus you can do facetime over 3G instead of just wifi. 

technically yes, legally no - by doing that you are violating the service agreement that you have with the provider. Guess it just depends on the end user and how they feel about it, you are knowingly violating a legally binding agreement by doing it.

But this just goes to show you that there is no "additional" service being provided by AT&T, it's a feature that's built into the smartphone that's just turned off to give cellular providers another thing they can charge for.  However, it wouldn't be all that hard for AT&T to detect when people are tethering/hot spotting on a jailbroken phone.  Just look at the packets and look for where they're ultimately originated from/destined to on the smartphone side.  Any OSI compliant networking architecture will have in the packet header information on physical and session destination.  Anything with a 'NAT'd' IP, or a session ID not typically present on a smartphone and you're busted.

makes absolutely no difference, using something that you are not paying for is still a violation of the legally binding terms of service, the additional service is the ability to use it, which requires additional payment. They as the service provider have the right to charge additional for any serivce. The state charges me every year a tax on my cars, I already paid the tax when I bought the car, but to continue to use it you are required to pay for an additonal feature to be able to purchase license plates.

Message 36 of 155
Scholar

satchev wrote:

1) Your grandfathered unlimited plan.

2) 250mb

3) Data Pro 2GB

4) Data Pro 2GB + Tethering 2GB for a total of 4GB.

Tethering is not the same as using the data on your device, essentially tethering is using your phone as a modem.  You data plan does not include the feature of using your phone as a modem.

So I want to get this straight. I just want some clarification here as I do have a tethering plan. So technically even if the tethering plan I have is 4 GB. 2 GB is the data cap I can use on the phone and the other 2 GB data cap is for tethering?

Message 37 of 155
Professor

Kwopau wrote:

satchev wrote:

1) Your grandfathered unlimited plan.

2) 250mb

3) Data Pro 2GB

4) Data Pro 2GB + Tethering 2GB for a total of 4GB.

Tethering is not the same as using the data on your device, essentially tethering is using your phone as a modem.  You data plan does not include the feature of using your phone as a modem.

So I want to get this straight. I just want some clarification here as I do have a tethering plan. So technically even if the tethering plan I have is 4 GB. 2 GB is the data cap I can use on the phone and the other 2 GB data cap is for tethering?

No, that's not accurate.  Maybe I didn't word it correctly.

When you add tethering, it adds an additional 2Gb to your data allowance.  The 4Gb total is available for use however you want, you could potentially use it all on your device, all on a tethered device or any combination in between.

Message 38 of 155
Scholar

Oh okay thx. Now I understand what you are saying.

Message 39 of 155
ACE - Professor

DimentoGraven wrote:

it's a feature that's built into the smartphone

Correct

that's just turned off to give cellular providers another thing they can charge for. 

Incorrect.

It's a feature of the phone that enables the handset to support a service the cellular provider may or may not sell. Like MMS, and SMS. Built right into the phone. Useless without the corresponding service.

Look, the phone supports every single possible service sold by the carrier, that you can use on the phone. Saying something is "built right into the phone" is like saying air contains air. It means nothing. Of COURSE the ability to make use of a service you can buy from the carrier is built into the phone, otherwise when you buy the service it won't work.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 40 of 155
Scholar

Looks like il'l be staying a grandfather!

confused on one thing though. aren't the phones using the iphone to hookup with

paying for a data plan already?

Message 41 of 155
ACE - Professor

Sonic1519 wrote:

Looks like il'l be staying a grandfather!

confused on one thing though. aren't the phones using the iphone to hookup with

paying for a data plan already?

That's the OTHER multi-page hotspot thread. Read it if you really don't get why.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 42 of 155
Scholar

would you happen to have a link to that site. have no issues either way. juat curious i guess.

customer pays for data then pays extra for hotspot then all customers using the hotspot

are already pay data charges... kinda like pay me once,twice and three times.....

i could really care less im under the old grandfather plan and will never change it..

if i ever get an ipad it will be wifi. home and office are both wifi. and im only into

surfing,email and news and books. 

Message 43 of 155
ACE - Professor

Sonic1519 wrote:

would you happen to have a link to that site.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/iOS-4-3-Mobile-Hotspot/td-p/2696115

is the other hotspot thread here, where we cover the same ground.

You need to stop thinking about it as "paying for data" and instead think of "paying for services"

1) voice service

2) SMS service

3) on-device data service

4) hotspot service

You pay for each of these services. Your phone enables all four, but the service provider (AT&T or Verizon) sells you the actual service.

Make sense?

Message 44 of 155
Guru

DimentoGraven wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Yes, it is an additional service of AT&T. They sell a hotspot device, or you can use the iPhone as a hotspot device. In either case, you pay for the hotspot service. Your existing data service is for data use on the device. This service is for hotspot data usage by other devices.

That you choose to use an iPhone instead of, for example, a MiFi, is irrelevant to AT&T - their DataConnect 3G plan for the MiFi is $35 for 3GB.

No, it's NOT a service, other than turning on the FEATURE of your DEVICE, exactly WHAT "additional" network specific functionality is AT&T providing?  There is no additional technology provided by AT&T that is required to support this.  All they do is turn the feature on and add a new monthly charge to your bill, that's it. 

There's no new "service" involved as it only utilizes the existing data service that was ALREADY being paid for.

At least now, they're not charging "extra" to turn it on, they're just essentially making you buy a "bigger" monthly tier, 4gb as opposed to what it was before, 2gb plus the extra charge, no additional data allotment.

That's why I said it was "shrewd" of AT&T to now "market" the tethering option the way they did--instead of charging $20 extra for tethering, they effectively made it a higher-bucket data plan (4 GB) but with the "bonus" of getting tethering, to boot...so like you said, instead of paying $20 more for a service add-on (and nothing more, under the old tethering plan), you're paying $20 more for an additional 2 GB but now you can tether under that plan also if you want to.  It should be noted that the plan name is identified as "DataPro 4 GB for iPhone" rather than say, "DataPro 4 GB w/ Tethering for iPhone"--looking only at the plan name itself, you wouldn't be able to tell at first glance that it includes tethering or that it is the required plan if you wanted tethering.

I'd be willing to bet folks would be more amenable to paying $20 more for an additional 2 GB w/ their tethering rather than paying an extra $20 just to have AT&T simply "flip a switch" for tethering but getting nothing else on top of that, so to speak.  AT&T apparently believes so too, hence the addition of a "new" DataPro plan--remember there were originally just two tiered data plans (200 MB and 2 GB, Enterprise plans notwithstanding)...but now there are three (200 MB, 2 GB, 4 GB); you are not required to tether in order to be allowed to select the 4 GB plan, but it's there if you want to do so (tether).

Message 45 of 155
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support