Reply
Posted Mar 14, 2011
3:39:37 PM
View profile
Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

I am asking here on the forums because I have spent over 2 hours of my time on the phone with AT&T trying to get an answer.  I would like the capability to tether my phone to my laptop, I do NOT want to use it as a hotspot.  Last I checked, my phone is only capable of sending and receiving a finite amount of data up and dow stream.  Why do I have to pay 15 dollars a month more and give up my old unlimited data plan. When I bought my original iPhone in July 2007, AT&T wouldn't even give me service without an "Unlimited" Data plan.  So I have been paying it for almost 4 years now.  Now they tell me that if I want to keep my evil unlimited plan, no new capabilities for you.  So glad I have been a loyal customer.  All I want is the option to tether without the hotspot, that way they know I can't abuse the network and I don't get rubbed the wrong way to the point that I go to Verizon out of spite.  I don't want to jailbreak my phone.  I would prefer that AT&T allow me to do this legally.  Again, over 2 hours on the phone with them has yielded me nothing, not even an explanation as to why.  "Well sir, that is above my level", alright, connect me to that level please.  If anyone has input (AT&T folks please) it would be greatly appreciated.

I am asking here on the forums because I have spent over 2 hours of my time on the phone with AT&T trying to get an answer.  I would like the capability to tether my phone to my laptop, I do NOT want to use it as a hotspot.  Last I checked, my phone is only capable of sending and receiving a finite amount of data up and dow stream.  Why do I have to pay 15 dollars a month more and give up my old unlimited data plan. When I bought my original iPhone in July 2007, AT&T wouldn't even give me service without an "Unlimited" Data plan.  So I have been paying it for almost 4 years now.  Now they tell me that if I want to keep my evil unlimited plan, no new capabilities for you.  So glad I have been a loyal customer.  All I want is the option to tether without the hotspot, that way they know I can't abuse the network and I don't get rubbed the wrong way to the point that I go to Verizon out of spite.  I don't want to jailbreak my phone.  I would prefer that AT&T allow me to do this legally.  Again, over 2 hours on the phone with them has yielded me nothing, not even an explanation as to why.  "Well sir, that is above my level", alright, connect me to that level please.  If anyone has input (AT&T folks please) it would be greatly appreciated.

Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

82,604 views
154 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Post reply
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(154)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2011 3:57:00 PM
0
(0)
Professor

Tethering is not allowed on the Unlimited data plan, never has been for an iPhone.

Tethering requires the Data Pro plan, this is AT&T's rules.

 

Your options:

1) accept it and move on.

2) Look for another provider.

 

Regardless of whether you utilize the Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth, or a physical cable, it is tethering and requires a tethering plan.

Tethering is not allowed on the Unlimited data plan, never has been for an iPhone.

Tethering requires the Data Pro plan, this is AT&T's rules.

 

Your options:

1) accept it and move on.

2) Look for another provider.

 

Regardless of whether you utilize the Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth, or a physical cable, it is tethering and requires a tethering plan.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

2 of 155 (82,590 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2011 4:18:15 PM
0
(0)
Professor

First, there are no AT&T people here.  This is a customer forum, and the only official AT&T presence are the moderators.  Everyone understands what you would like to do.  A lot of people would like to tether with unlimted data, but AT&T doesn't allow it, plain and simple.  Whether people feel it's right or wrong, your only legal options are keep unlimited data and forget tethering, or get tethering and pay for the data limited tethering plan.  As far as going to Verizon out of spite, they don't allow data unlimited tethering either.  It's a 2GB tethered data limit.

First, there are no AT&T people here.  This is a customer forum, and the only official AT&T presence are the moderators.  Everyone understands what you would like to do.  A lot of people would like to tether with unlimted data, but AT&T doesn't allow it, plain and simple.  Whether people feel it's right or wrong, your only legal options are keep unlimited data and forget tethering, or get tethering and pay for the data limited tethering plan.  As far as going to Verizon out of spite, they don't allow data unlimited tethering either.  It's a 2GB tethered data limit.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

3 of 155 (82,571 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2011 5:06:34 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

 


piersonz wrote:

I am asking here on the forums because I have spent over 2 hours of my time on the phone with AT&T trying to get an answer.


 

Why? Because AT&T decided to structure their service offerings that way.

 

Do whatever you would have done on your laptop on your iphone instead. Or pay for the service if you need it.

 

Hey - quick question... why does comcast charge extra for HBO?

 

Why do theaters charge for popcorn?

 

Gasoline... why is it expensive?

 

Magnets... how do they work?

 

I mean, really, come on. Wireless data is a service you buy. So is tethering AKA hotspot access. Buy it or don't buy it, but asking why AT&T charges for it? Is today your first day in the USA?

 


piersonz wrote:

I am asking here on the forums because I have spent over 2 hours of my time on the phone with AT&T trying to get an answer.


 

Why? Because AT&T decided to structure their service offerings that way.

 

Do whatever you would have done on your laptop on your iphone instead. Or pay for the service if you need it.

 

Hey - quick question... why does comcast charge extra for HBO?

 

Why do theaters charge for popcorn?

 

Gasoline... why is it expensive?

 

Magnets... how do they work?

 

I mean, really, come on. Wireless data is a service you buy. So is tethering AKA hotspot access. Buy it or don't buy it, but asking why AT&T charges for it? Is today your first day in the USA?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

4 of 155 (82,551 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2011 5:22:49 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

To put it simply.

 

AT&T likes money. Now you may see something wrong with that, but just like you expect to get paid for your services, AT&T has every right to expect to get paid for their services. You as a consumer have the option to not pay for services that you don't want to pay for. 

To put it simply.

 

AT&T likes money. Now you may see something wrong with that, but just like you expect to get paid for your services, AT&T has every right to expect to get paid for their services. You as a consumer have the option to not pay for services that you don't want to pay for. 

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

5 of 155 (82,547 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2011 6:12:21 PM
0
(0)
Teacher
Edited by ShaunMN on Mar 14, 2011 at 6:18:20 PM

Again, glad I spent the time to ask a question.  Thank you all for the input.  You have been as insightful as AT&T.  My question is simply this.  Data is data.  It's going through my phone one way or the other.  As you said, gas is expensive. True.  Last time i checked, no station charged me more for putting the gas in my new truck or in my old beater or a plastic can.  AT&T isn't providing me a service, the capability is built into the device and wasn't even created by AT&T.  All I am asking is why doesn't this seem wrong to anyone at AT&T.  Not my first day in the USA guy.   {Please keep it courteous}

Again, glad I spent the time to ask a question.  Thank you all for the input.  You have been as insightful as AT&T.  My question is simply this.  Data is data.  It's going through my phone one way or the other.  As you said, gas is expensive. True.  Last time i checked, no station charged me more for putting the gas in my new truck or in my old beater or a plastic can.  AT&T isn't providing me a service, the capability is built into the device and wasn't even created by AT&T.  All I am asking is why doesn't this seem wrong to anyone at AT&T.  Not my first day in the USA guy.   {Please keep it courteous}

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

[ Edited ]
6 of 155 (82,524 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2011 6:15:17 PM
0
(0)
Teacher

I understand what the Verizon plans are, but I do thank you for your input.  I just thought this would bother more people since the customers it seems to target are those that are the longest standing "smartphone" users.  Those that poured most of the money(capital) into AT&T to get this whole thing rollin.

I understand what the Verizon plans are, but I do thank you for your input.  I just thought this would bother more people since the customers it seems to target are those that are the longest standing "smartphone" users.  Those that poured most of the money(capital) into AT&T to get this whole thing rollin.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

7 of 155 (82,522 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2011 6:39:21 PM
0
(0)
Professor

 


piersonz wrote:

Again, glad I spent the time to ask a question.  Thank you all for the input.  You have been as insightful as AT&T.  My question is simply this.  Data is data.  It's going through my phone one way or the other.  As you said, gas is expensive. True.  Last time i checked, no station charged me more for putting the gas in my new truck or in my old beater or a plastic can.  AT&T isn't providing me a service, the capability is built into the device and wasn't even created by AT&T.  All I am asking is why doesn't this seem wrong to anyone at AT&T. 


 

Let's try explaining it this way.

 

When you subscribe to cable, you pick a package that provides you with the channels that you want.  There are various packages, but ultimately it's all just video streaming over a cable (bits in this day and age, not analog). 

 

Based on your arguements, why can't we all just pay for basic cable and get all 500+ channels plus the premium channels for free?  Very simply, you're paying for a package with specific features.

 

With your cellular service,  you chose a package that meets  your needs.  You have 3 options for data plans at this point, well, 4 technically.

 

1) Your grandfathered unlimited plan.

2) 250mb

3) Data Pro 2GB

4) Data Pro 2GB + Tethering 2GB for a total of 4GB.

 

Tethering is not the same as using the data on your device, essentially tethering is using your phone as a modem.  You data plan does not include the feature of using your phone as a modem.

 

If you want to tether, you need to pay for the appropriate package.  Just like if you want HBO, Showtime, or HDTV you need to pay for the appropriate cable package.

 


piersonz wrote:

Again, glad I spent the time to ask a question.  Thank you all for the input.  You have been as insightful as AT&T.  My question is simply this.  Data is data.  It's going through my phone one way or the other.  As you said, gas is expensive. True.  Last time i checked, no station charged me more for putting the gas in my new truck or in my old beater or a plastic can.  AT&T isn't providing me a service, the capability is built into the device and wasn't even created by AT&T.  All I am asking is why doesn't this seem wrong to anyone at AT&T. 


 

Let's try explaining it this way.

 

When you subscribe to cable, you pick a package that provides you with the channels that you want.  There are various packages, but ultimately it's all just video streaming over a cable (bits in this day and age, not analog). 

 

Based on your arguements, why can't we all just pay for basic cable and get all 500+ channels plus the premium channels for free?  Very simply, you're paying for a package with specific features.

 

With your cellular service,  you chose a package that meets  your needs.  You have 3 options for data plans at this point, well, 4 technically.

 

1) Your grandfathered unlimited plan.

2) 250mb

3) Data Pro 2GB

4) Data Pro 2GB + Tethering 2GB for a total of 4GB.

 

Tethering is not the same as using the data on your device, essentially tethering is using your phone as a modem.  You data plan does not include the feature of using your phone as a modem.

 

If you want to tether, you need to pay for the appropriate package.  Just like if you want HBO, Showtime, or HDTV you need to pay for the appropriate cable package.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

8 of 155 (82,504 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2011 11:54:55 PM
0
(0)
Mentor
Better explaination. You walk into an all you can eat resturaunt. You pay for yourself(iPhone) to eat there, but you didn't pay for your girlfriend(computer) does she get to eat? The plan you are paying for is for your iPhone and no other device. If you any other device to use the data you will have to pay for it.
Better explaination. You walk into an all you can eat resturaunt. You pay for yourself(iPhone) to eat there, but you didn't pay for your girlfriend(computer) does she get to eat? The plan you are paying for is for your iPhone and no other device. If you any other device to use the data you will have to pay for it.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

9 of 155 (82,424 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 1:20:25 AM
0
(0)
Teacher

Wow, ok, so by this logic, my wife and I got to the same joint and take along our newborn daughter.  Do we get charged for 2 or three since my wife is breastfeeding??  Come on man, we can play analogies and metaphors all day.  Apparently this isn't the "forum" for my questions.  I was told by AT&T that this was the way to get an answer from the company.  If the only people on here are customers then I am again wasting my time.  All I have gotten from the group here is a regurgitation of facts from the AT&T wireless site.  Yeah, crazy, I looked the way before I ever came here.  Ahh, oh well.  Yall have a good one.

Wow, ok, so by this logic, my wife and I got to the same joint and take along our newborn daughter.  Do we get charged for 2 or three since my wife is breastfeeding??  Come on man, we can play analogies and metaphors all day.  Apparently this isn't the "forum" for my questions.  I was told by AT&T that this was the way to get an answer from the company.  If the only people on here are customers then I am again wasting my time.  All I have gotten from the group here is a regurgitation of facts from the AT&T wireless site.  Yeah, crazy, I looked the way before I ever came here.  Ahh, oh well.  Yall have a good one.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

10 of 155 (82,405 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 2:08:14 AM
0
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Tidbits on Mar 15, 2011 at 2:23:58 AM

 


piersonz wrote:

Wow, ok, so by this logic, my wife and I got to the same joint and take along our newborn daughter.  Do we get charged for 2 or three since my wife is breastfeeding??  Come on man, we can play analogies and metaphors all day.  Apparently this isn't the "forum" for my questions.  I was told by AT&T that this was the way to get an answer from the company.  If the only people on here are customers then I am again wasting my time.  All I have gotten from the group here is a regurgitation of facts from the AT&T wireless site.  Yeah, crazy, I looked the way before I ever came here.  Ahh, oh well.  Yall have a good one.


Now that's funny.  You pay for 2 and 2 eat there.  Your newborn isn't eating off a plate right?  Come on be serious here...  If the kid can eat off the plate or be fed food you bet your bottom dollar you'd have to pay something.  That's the only reason why you used a newborn over someone older.

 

 


piersonz wrote:

Wow, ok, so by this logic, my wife and I got to the same joint and take along our newborn daughter.  Do we get charged for 2 or three since my wife is breastfeeding??  Come on man, we can play analogies and metaphors all day.  Apparently this isn't the "forum" for my questions.  I was told by AT&T that this was the way to get an answer from the company.  If the only people on here are customers then I am again wasting my time.  All I have gotten from the group here is a regurgitation of facts from the AT&T wireless site.  Yeah, crazy, I looked the way before I ever came here.  Ahh, oh well.  Yall have a good one.


Now that's funny.  You pay for 2 and 2 eat there.  Your newborn isn't eating off a plate right?  Come on be serious here...  If the kid can eat off the plate or be fed food you bet your bottom dollar you'd have to pay something.  That's the only reason why you used a newborn over someone older.

 

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

[ Edited ]
11 of 155 (63,232 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 5:46:38 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

 


piersonz wrote:

  I was told by AT&T that this was the way to get an answer from the company. 


 

Really? They told you to go to the user forum to get an answer from them?

 

 


piersonz wrote:

  I was told by AT&T that this was the way to get an answer from the company. 


 

Really? They told you to go to the user forum to get an answer from them?

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

12 of 155 (63,213 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 5:50:39 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

 


piersonz wrote:

Again, glad I spent the time to ask a question.  Thank you all for the input.  You have been as insightful as AT&T.  My question is simply this.  Data is data.  It's going through my phone one way or the other.  As you said, gas is expensive. True.  Last time i checked, no station charged me more for putting the gas in my new truck or in my old beater or a plastic can.  AT&T isn't providing me a service, the capability is built into the device and wasn't even created by AT&T.  All I am asking is why doesn't this seem wrong to anyone at AT&T.  Not my first day in the USA guy.   {Please keep it courteous}


 

It's not DATA you are paying for, it's the SERVICE.

 

You pay for ON THE DEVICE service.

 

Of course AT&T is providing the SERVICE. The device is an access device, without service it's just an ipod touch with wifi.

 

You can decide to pay for the SERVICE of TETHERING/HOTSPOT. It's an EXTRA SERVICE.

 

AT&T is a for-profit company, and mobile data is a service. They can change whatever they want. You can decide to use their services or not. This is the way capitalism works.

 


piersonz wrote:

Again, glad I spent the time to ask a question.  Thank you all for the input.  You have been as insightful as AT&T.  My question is simply this.  Data is data.  It's going through my phone one way or the other.  As you said, gas is expensive. True.  Last time i checked, no station charged me more for putting the gas in my new truck or in my old beater or a plastic can.  AT&T isn't providing me a service, the capability is built into the device and wasn't even created by AT&T.  All I am asking is why doesn't this seem wrong to anyone at AT&T.  Not my first day in the USA guy.   {Please keep it courteous}


 

It's not DATA you are paying for, it's the SERVICE.

 

You pay for ON THE DEVICE service.

 

Of course AT&T is providing the SERVICE. The device is an access device, without service it's just an ipod touch with wifi.

 

You can decide to pay for the SERVICE of TETHERING/HOTSPOT. It's an EXTRA SERVICE.

 

AT&T is a for-profit company, and mobile data is a service. They can change whatever they want. You can decide to use their services or not. This is the way capitalism works.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

13 of 155 (63,210 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 8:07:17 AM
0
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Mar 15, 2011 at 8:08:15 AM

It is simple - your unlimited (or limited) data plan is based on the device being used as a endpoint in the communications stream - aka the data stops at that phone, if you want to use the phone as a access point (aka "hotspot") then you have to pay an additional charge since is is passing the data path to other devices, those deivces are not covered by your phone data plan.

 

 

internet data ====> phone [phone is the end point = covered by normal data plan]

 

internet data ====> phone =====>. up to five other devices [phone is being utilized as a access point = additional charge

 

You basic data plan, either capped or unlimited is for the phone to be used as a endpoint in the communications stream

It is simple - your unlimited (or limited) data plan is based on the device being used as a endpoint in the communications stream - aka the data stops at that phone, if you want to use the phone as a access point (aka "hotspot") then you have to pay an additional charge since is is passing the data path to other devices, those deivces are not covered by your phone data plan.

 

 

internet data ====> phone [phone is the end point = covered by normal data plan]

 

internet data ====> phone =====>. up to five other devices [phone is being utilized as a access point = additional charge

 

You basic data plan, either capped or unlimited is for the phone to be used as a endpoint in the communications stream

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

[ Edited ]
14 of 155 (63,179 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 8:13:30 AM
0
(0)
Teacher

 

I'm with pierzonz here and before you guys fry me, allow me to explain my thinking on this.

Unlimited plan on iPhone, 5 gigs or whatever the cap is, used 1 gig of data by week two of billing cycle, go in a long weekend trip, no wifi on the hotel, I plug in the iPhone to my laptop and tether, check email and read CNN for 10 minutes or so, half a gig is used, so I've used 1.5 gig of my unlimited plan that I'm paying for it, why in the blue cloud I need to pay extra $15 to use the data that I'm already paying for? I need to pay for the right to use my own unlimited data? the right to use my own device? What a crock.

SERVICE you say? Ha ha, tethering is a feature added to the phone by Apple, not AT&T. If the tethering goes over the cap, yes, I'll be glad to pay extra, not until then, I feel I'm paying twice for the same SERVICE, data transmission is the service provided.

They can do whatever they want on behave of capitalism as explain by you, johninsj, and you and others fall for the so call "service" that is embedded on the phone from factory.

I'm not using extra "anything in any way, shape or form" by tethering without going over my quota, and AT&T is charging for it, charging for a feature you bought when the phone is purchased, the right to use you say? Oh boy, see my point now?

It is what it is, use it if you want, I decided not to use it because of what I think, and this goes for every other cell phone service provider.

One more thing, there many iPhone users that are jailbroken, they tether and no charges appears on their bill, you know why?, because they are using just their data, no extra service.

Before you ask, no, I don't have an iPhone, never jailbroken by the way, gave it up last month for an Android, suits me better.

 

I'm with pierzonz here and before you guys fry me, allow me to explain my thinking on this.

Unlimited plan on iPhone, 5 gigs or whatever the cap is, used 1 gig of data by week two of billing cycle, go in a long weekend trip, no wifi on the hotel, I plug in the iPhone to my laptop and tether, check email and read CNN for 10 minutes or so, half a gig is used, so I've used 1.5 gig of my unlimited plan that I'm paying for it, why in the blue cloud I need to pay extra $15 to use the data that I'm already paying for? I need to pay for the right to use my own unlimited data? the right to use my own device? What a crock.

SERVICE you say? Ha ha, tethering is a feature added to the phone by Apple, not AT&T. If the tethering goes over the cap, yes, I'll be glad to pay extra, not until then, I feel I'm paying twice for the same SERVICE, data transmission is the service provided.

They can do whatever they want on behave of capitalism as explain by you, johninsj, and you and others fall for the so call "service" that is embedded on the phone from factory.

I'm not using extra "anything in any way, shape or form" by tethering without going over my quota, and AT&T is charging for it, charging for a feature you bought when the phone is purchased, the right to use you say? Oh boy, see my point now?

It is what it is, use it if you want, I decided not to use it because of what I think, and this goes for every other cell phone service provider.

One more thing, there many iPhone users that are jailbroken, they tether and no charges appears on their bill, you know why?, because they are using just their data, no extra service.

Before you ask, no, I don't have an iPhone, never jailbroken by the way, gave it up last month for an Android, suits me better.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

15 of 155 (63,174 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 8:31:32 AM
0
(0)
Guru

Tidbits wrote:

 

Now that's funny.  You pay for 2 and 2 eat there.  Your newborn isn't eating off a plate right?  Come on be serious here...  If the kid can eat off the plate or be fed food you bet your bottom dollar you'd have to pay something.  That's the only reason why you used a newborn over someone older.

 


Actually that was the best biological/restaraunt analogy that explains tethering I've ever seen.  It makes perfect sense despite your objections.

 

Over all, I'm on the fence on this one.  AT&T can charge what they want for the services rendered, and yet, I really find it odd that AT&T would charge for a feature of the device, not something that they are doing (beyond activating a switch on the device that enables that feature).

 

As far as unlimmited data using a smart phone as a hotspot...  I can 'kind of' see not wanting to allow that occur, as allowing the device to act as a hot spot for 'free', or not charging for a device feature, could conceivably decrease potential new cellular data accounts.  Servicing MULTIPLE devices from a single device, with how the hot spot operates as I understand it, is up to 5 seperate data accounts AT&T would be missing out on, obviously a lot of money.

 

One the flip side, charging extra for tethering only ONE device, the concept I don't agree with (though again I fully acknowledge thta AT&T does have the right to charge for this non-service all they want), as the ONE device effectively shifts the data that would only be going to and processed on your phone to another device.  At no point can you exceed the maximum throughput of the smart phone so no REAL additional/excessive load can occur on the net and since it would be limited to one device, no potential loss on being able to charge for additional data accounts, so charging extra for it seems...  Well greedy.

 

The only reasonable agrument I can see for charging extra for tethering are the cases when someone tethers another device that can act as a hot spot (we're back to the extra data accounts AT&T doesn't get to charge for on those additional devices)...


Tidbits wrote:

 

Now that's funny.  You pay for 2 and 2 eat there.  Your newborn isn't eating off a plate right?  Come on be serious here...  If the kid can eat off the plate or be fed food you bet your bottom dollar you'd have to pay something.  That's the only reason why you used a newborn over someone older.

 


Actually that was the best biological/restaraunt analogy that explains tethering I've ever seen.  It makes perfect sense despite your objections.

 

Over all, I'm on the fence on this one.  AT&T can charge what they want for the services rendered, and yet, I really find it odd that AT&T would charge for a feature of the device, not something that they are doing (beyond activating a switch on the device that enables that feature).

 

As far as unlimmited data using a smart phone as a hotspot...  I can 'kind of' see not wanting to allow that occur, as allowing the device to act as a hot spot for 'free', or not charging for a device feature, could conceivably decrease potential new cellular data accounts.  Servicing MULTIPLE devices from a single device, with how the hot spot operates as I understand it, is up to 5 seperate data accounts AT&T would be missing out on, obviously a lot of money.

 

One the flip side, charging extra for tethering only ONE device, the concept I don't agree with (though again I fully acknowledge thta AT&T does have the right to charge for this non-service all they want), as the ONE device effectively shifts the data that would only be going to and processed on your phone to another device.  At no point can you exceed the maximum throughput of the smart phone so no REAL additional/excessive load can occur on the net and since it would be limited to one device, no potential loss on being able to charge for additional data accounts, so charging extra for it seems...  Well greedy.

 

The only reasonable agrument I can see for charging extra for tethering are the cases when someone tethers another device that can act as a hot spot (we're back to the extra data accounts AT&T doesn't get to charge for on those additional devices)...

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

16 of 155 (63,166 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 9:03:01 AM
0
(0)
Guru

 


piersonz wrote:

Wow, ok, so by this logic, my wife and I got to the same joint and take along our newborn daughter.  Do we get charged for 2 or three since my wife is breastfeeding??  Come on man, we can play analogies and metaphors all day.  Apparently this isn't the "forum" for my questions.  I was told by AT&T that this was the way to get an answer from the company.  If the only people on here are customers then I am again wasting my time.  All I have gotten from the group here is a regurgitation of facts from the AT&T wireless site.  Yeah, crazy, I looked the way before I ever came here.  Ahh, oh well.  Yall have a good one.


 

Actually it is a really good analogy.  In general, at least in my experience, all you can eat places have one set price for adults.  Then they have a lower price for children, and children under a certain age eat for free.  Why?  The expectation is that on average adults will eat X amount of food.  Children on average will eat some percentage of X, and young enough children will on average eat little enough that it won't really make a difference.  Even though all of them have the same theoretical limit on the amount that they are allowed to eat.

 

Same with data.  The assumption is that a tethered device will use more data than the smartphone would all by itself, so they charge extra because the amount of data being used on average will go up.  And they don't want people on unlimited plans tethering because that will shoot up the average amount of data being used by a lot more.

 

However with the newest changes to their tethering plan they aren't even charging an extra fee to tether anymore.  They are just requiring that you pay for an extra 2GB of data up front. If they ever stop doing that, that might be enough to get me to switch to the 2GB plan from my unlimited plan...

 


piersonz wrote:

Wow, ok, so by this logic, my wife and I got to the same joint and take along our newborn daughter.  Do we get charged for 2 or three since my wife is breastfeeding??  Come on man, we can play analogies and metaphors all day.  Apparently this isn't the "forum" for my questions.  I was told by AT&T that this was the way to get an answer from the company.  If the only people on here are customers then I am again wasting my time.  All I have gotten from the group here is a regurgitation of facts from the AT&T wireless site.  Yeah, crazy, I looked the way before I ever came here.  Ahh, oh well.  Yall have a good one.


 

Actually it is a really good analogy.  In general, at least in my experience, all you can eat places have one set price for adults.  Then they have a lower price for children, and children under a certain age eat for free.  Why?  The expectation is that on average adults will eat X amount of food.  Children on average will eat some percentage of X, and young enough children will on average eat little enough that it won't really make a difference.  Even though all of them have the same theoretical limit on the amount that they are allowed to eat.

 

Same with data.  The assumption is that a tethered device will use more data than the smartphone would all by itself, so they charge extra because the amount of data being used on average will go up.  And they don't want people on unlimited plans tethering because that will shoot up the average amount of data being used by a lot more.

 

However with the newest changes to their tethering plan they aren't even charging an extra fee to tether anymore.  They are just requiring that you pay for an extra 2GB of data up front. If they ever stop doing that, that might be enough to get me to switch to the 2GB plan from my unlimited plan...

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

17 of 155 (63,156 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 10:29:20 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

 

Now that's funny.  You pay for 2 and 2 eat there.  Your newborn isn't eating off a plate right?  Come on be serious here...  If the kid can eat off the plate or be fed food you bet your bottom dollar you'd have to pay something.  That's the only reason why you used a newborn over someone older.

 


I really find it odd that AT&T would charge for a feature of the device, not something that they are doing (beyond activating a switch on the device that enables that feature).

 


 

The device has the capability to tether and provide a hotspot.

 

It's a useless capability without service. Just like the device can make voice calls, but that capability is useless without the corresponding service.

 

By this logic, since the phone can make calls, you should be able to make calls without buying a voice plan. Because the phone has the capability to do so.

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

 

Now that's funny.  You pay for 2 and 2 eat there.  Your newborn isn't eating off a plate right?  Come on be serious here...  If the kid can eat off the plate or be fed food you bet your bottom dollar you'd have to pay something.  That's the only reason why you used a newborn over someone older.

 


I really find it odd that AT&T would charge for a feature of the device, not something that they are doing (beyond activating a switch on the device that enables that feature).

 


 

The device has the capability to tether and provide a hotspot.

 

It's a useless capability without service. Just like the device can make voice calls, but that capability is useless without the corresponding service.

 

By this logic, since the phone can make calls, you should be able to make calls without buying a voice plan. Because the phone has the capability to do so.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

18 of 155 (63,141 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 12:22:14 PM
0
(0)
Guru
Edited by DimentoGraven on Mar 15, 2011 at 12:24:48 PM

 


johninsj wrote:

  

The device has the capability to tether and provide a hotspot.

 

It's a useless capability without service. Just like the device can make voice calls, but that capability is useless without the corresponding service.

 

By this logic, since the phone can make calls, you should be able to make calls without buying a voice plan. Because the phone has the capability to do so.


Two things:

 

1.  Admittedly, my comment was not clear, I'll clarify below.

2.  What you've quoted was from my thoughts on charging extra for tethering.

 

For my clarification, it's odd to me that AT&T would charge EXTRA to allow a phone to tether, an inbuilt feature of the phone, when all tethering does is allow data to pass through the phone to another device.  Since, with smart phones and the subject phone of the thread, the iPhone, can tether and really, it has nothing to do with any ADDITIONAL service of AT&T, I find it odd that AT&T would charge to tether.

 

For standard use (the phone acts as an 'internet modem' for a single device) tethering there is no additional load, nor any potential 'lost' revenue.  With standard tethering you have your single device, typically a laptop, accessing the internet via the phone, at best, at the maximum possible speed of the phone given the signal qualities of the location you're doing the tethering in.  With a tethered device it's not possible to go beyond the real bandwidth potential of the device, so really, there's no REAL need to charge extra as it's not costing the provider extra in any way.

 

Only when you have that device function as a 'hot spot' does it make any sense at all to charge extra.  There's a potential for 5 devices using the net via the phone, so there's a potential for 4 data accounts that AT&T isn't getting paid for.

 

I get that.  I acknowledge that AT&T would like to mitigate the potential 'loss' of that revenue (though I would argue that there's no REAL expectation that without that mobile hotspot feature that any of those 4 devices would get an AT&T data account to compensate).

 

The ONLY reason I could come up with for AT&T to justify charging for tethering at all (other than, "Just cause we can") is that non-standard tethering, and those technically savvy enough to do it, could tether to another device that would act as a hotspot.

 

The fact that originally AT&T did not grant extra monthly data when paying for tethering is what puts it up in the "greed" category.

 

Users were being forced to pay for a smartphone plan and when they wanted data they had to double their costs, but get no additional monthly data allotment.  I mean come on, that's just fececiously bad.

 


johninsj wrote:

  

The device has the capability to tether and provide a hotspot.

 

It's a useless capability without service. Just like the device can make voice calls, but that capability is useless without the corresponding service.

 

By this logic, since the phone can make calls, you should be able to make calls without buying a voice plan. Because the phone has the capability to do so.


Two things:

 

1.  Admittedly, my comment was not clear, I'll clarify below.

2.  What you've quoted was from my thoughts on charging extra for tethering.

 

For my clarification, it's odd to me that AT&T would charge EXTRA to allow a phone to tether, an inbuilt feature of the phone, when all tethering does is allow data to pass through the phone to another device.  Since, with smart phones and the subject phone of the thread, the iPhone, can tether and really, it has nothing to do with any ADDITIONAL service of AT&T, I find it odd that AT&T would charge to tether.

 

For standard use (the phone acts as an 'internet modem' for a single device) tethering there is no additional load, nor any potential 'lost' revenue.  With standard tethering you have your single device, typically a laptop, accessing the internet via the phone, at best, at the maximum possible speed of the phone given the signal qualities of the location you're doing the tethering in.  With a tethered device it's not possible to go beyond the real bandwidth potential of the device, so really, there's no REAL need to charge extra as it's not costing the provider extra in any way.

 

Only when you have that device function as a 'hot spot' does it make any sense at all to charge extra.  There's a potential for 5 devices using the net via the phone, so there's a potential for 4 data accounts that AT&T isn't getting paid for.

 

I get that.  I acknowledge that AT&T would like to mitigate the potential 'loss' of that revenue (though I would argue that there's no REAL expectation that without that mobile hotspot feature that any of those 4 devices would get an AT&T data account to compensate).

 

The ONLY reason I could come up with for AT&T to justify charging for tethering at all (other than, "Just cause we can") is that non-standard tethering, and those technically savvy enough to do it, could tether to another device that would act as a hotspot.

 

The fact that originally AT&T did not grant extra monthly data when paying for tethering is what puts it up in the "greed" category.

 

Users were being forced to pay for a smartphone plan and when they wanted data they had to double their costs, but get no additional monthly data allotment.  I mean come on, that's just fececiously bad.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

[ Edited ]
19 of 155 (63,114 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 12:53:56 PM
0
(0)
Guru

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

 

Two things:

 

1.  Admittedly, my comment was not clear, I'll clarify below.

2.  What you've quoted was from my thoughts on charging extra for tethering.

 

For my clarification, it's odd to me that AT&T would charge EXTRA to allow a phone to tether, an inbuilt feature of the phone, when all tethering does is allow data to pass through the phone to another device.  Since, with smart phones and the subject phone of the thread, the iPhone, can tether and really, it has nothing to do with any ADDITIONAL service of AT&T, I find it odd that AT&T would charge to tether.

 

For standard use (the phone acts as an 'internet modem' for a single device) tethering there is no additional load, nor any potential 'lost' revenue.  With standard tethering you have your single device, typically a laptop, accessing the internet via the phone, at best, at the maximum possible speed of the phone given the signal qualities of the location you're doing the tethering in.  With a tethered device it's not possible to go beyond the real bandwidth potential of the device, so really, there's no REAL need to charge extra as it's not costing the provider extra in any way.

 

Only when you have that device function as a 'hot spot' does it make any sense at all to charge extra.  There's a potential for 5 devices using the net via the phone, so there's a potential for 4 data accounts that AT&T isn't getting paid for.

 

I get that.  I acknowledge that AT&T would like to mitigate the potential 'loss' of that revenue (though I would argue that there's no REAL expectation that without that mobile hotspot feature that any of those 4 devices would get an AT&T data account to compensate).

 

The ONLY reason I could come up with for AT&T to justify charging for tethering at all (other than, "Just cause we can") is that non-standard tethering, and those technically savvy enough to do it, could tether to another device that would act as a hotspot.

 

The fact that originally AT&T did not grant extra monthly data when paying for tethering is what puts it up in the "greed" category.

 

Users were being forced to pay for a smartphone plan and when they wanted data they had to double their costs, but get no additional monthly data allotment.  I mean come on, that's just fececiously bad.


Except that they aren't charging extra anymore, even for using the phone as a hotspot.  You just have to pay for 4GB of data upfront instead of just 2GB.

 

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

 

Two things:

 

1.  Admittedly, my comment was not clear, I'll clarify below.

2.  What you've quoted was from my thoughts on charging extra for tethering.

 

For my clarification, it's odd to me that AT&T would charge EXTRA to allow a phone to tether, an inbuilt feature of the phone, when all tethering does is allow data to pass through the phone to another device.  Since, with smart phones and the subject phone of the thread, the iPhone, can tether and really, it has nothing to do with any ADDITIONAL service of AT&T, I find it odd that AT&T would charge to tether.

 

For standard use (the phone acts as an 'internet modem' for a single device) tethering there is no additional load, nor any potential 'lost' revenue.  With standard tethering you have your single device, typically a laptop, accessing the internet via the phone, at best, at the maximum possible speed of the phone given the signal qualities of the location you're doing the tethering in.  With a tethered device it's not possible to go beyond the real bandwidth potential of the device, so really, there's no REAL need to charge extra as it's not costing the provider extra in any way.

 

Only when you have that device function as a 'hot spot' does it make any sense at all to charge extra.  There's a potential for 5 devices using the net via the phone, so there's a potential for 4 data accounts that AT&T isn't getting paid for.

 

I get that.  I acknowledge that AT&T would like to mitigate the potential 'loss' of that revenue (though I would argue that there's no REAL expectation that without that mobile hotspot feature that any of those 4 devices would get an AT&T data account to compensate).

 

The ONLY reason I could come up with for AT&T to justify charging for tethering at all (other than, "Just cause we can") is that non-standard tethering, and those technically savvy enough to do it, could tether to another device that would act as a hotspot.

 

The fact that originally AT&T did not grant extra monthly data when paying for tethering is what puts it up in the "greed" category.

 

Users were being forced to pay for a smartphone plan and when they wanted data they had to double their costs, but get no additional monthly data allotment.  I mean come on, that's just fececiously bad.


Except that they aren't charging extra anymore, even for using the phone as a hotspot.  You just have to pay for 4GB of data upfront instead of just 2GB.

 

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

20 of 155 (63,104 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 1:00:57 PM
0
(0)
Professor
Edited by Glomag on Mar 15, 2011 at 1:18:09 PM

 


johninsj wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

 

Now that's funny.  You pay for 2 and 2 eat there.  Your newborn isn't eating off a plate right?  Come on be serious here...  If the kid can eat off the plate or be fed food you bet your bottom dollar you'd have to pay something.  That's the only reason why you used a newborn over someone older.

 


I really find it odd that AT&T would charge for a feature of the device, not something that they are doing (beyond activating a switch on the device that enables that feature).

 


 

The device has the capability to tether and provide a hotspot.

 

It's a useless capability without service. Just like the device can make voice calls, but that capability is useless without the corresponding service.

 

By this logic, since the phone can make calls, you should be able to make calls without buying a voice plan. Because the phone has the capability to do so.


 

Regardless of anyone's opinion.... from Apple's own website "Personal Hotspot requires a supporting hotspot tethering plan from your carrier and works with up to three devices over Wi-Fi, three devices over Bluetooth, and one device over USB."

 

While it is a feature of the iPhone and iOS, it requires and appropriate supporting plan from the carrier.

 

Every iPhone carrier around the world (to the best of my knowledge) requires a tethering specific plan.  The 4 major US cellular companies require tethering plans for any/all of their tethering capable phone if the user wants to tether without violating the TOS.  AT&T is not being the evil {word filter evasion} here, they are simply maintaining the status quo.

 


johninsj wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

 

Now that's funny.  You pay for 2 and 2 eat there.  Your newborn isn't eating off a plate right?  Come on be serious here...  If the kid can eat off the plate or be fed food you bet your bottom dollar you'd have to pay something.  That's the only reason why you used a newborn over someone older.

 


I really find it odd that AT&T would charge for a feature of the device, not something that they are doing (beyond activating a switch on the device that enables that feature).

 


 

The device has the capability to tether and provide a hotspot.

 

It's a useless capability without service. Just like the device can make voice calls, but that capability is useless without the corresponding service.

 

By this logic, since the phone can make calls, you should be able to make calls without buying a voice plan. Because the phone has the capability to do so.


 

Regardless of anyone's opinion.... from Apple's own website "Personal Hotspot requires a supporting hotspot tethering plan from your carrier and works with up to three devices over Wi-Fi, three devices over Bluetooth, and one device over USB."

 

While it is a feature of the iPhone and iOS, it requires and appropriate supporting plan from the carrier.

 

Every iPhone carrier around the world (to the best of my knowledge) requires a tethering specific plan.  The 4 major US cellular companies require tethering plans for any/all of their tethering capable phone if the user wants to tether without violating the TOS.  AT&T is not being the evil {word filter evasion} here, they are simply maintaining the status quo.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

[ Edited ]
21 of 155 (61,297 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 2:34:29 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

 

For my clarification, it's odd to me that AT&T would charge EXTRA to allow a phone to tether, an inbuilt feature of the phone, when all tethering does is allow data to pass through the phone to another device.  Since, with smart phones and the subject phone of the thread, the iPhone, can tether and really, it has nothing to do with any ADDITIONAL service of AT&T, I find it odd that AT&T would charge to tether.

 


 

Yes, it is an additional service of AT&T. They sell a hotspot device, or you can use the iPhone as a hotspot device. In either case, you pay for the hotspot service. Your existing data service is for data use on the device. This service is for hotspot data usage by other devices.

 

That you choose to use an iPhone instead of, for example, a MiFi, is irrelevant to AT&T - their DataConnect 3G plan for the MiFi is $35 for 3GB.

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

 

For my clarification, it's odd to me that AT&T would charge EXTRA to allow a phone to tether, an inbuilt feature of the phone, when all tethering does is allow data to pass through the phone to another device.  Since, with smart phones and the subject phone of the thread, the iPhone, can tether and really, it has nothing to do with any ADDITIONAL service of AT&T, I find it odd that AT&T would charge to tether.

 


 

Yes, it is an additional service of AT&T. They sell a hotspot device, or you can use the iPhone as a hotspot device. In either case, you pay for the hotspot service. Your existing data service is for data use on the device. This service is for hotspot data usage by other devices.

 

That you choose to use an iPhone instead of, for example, a MiFi, is irrelevant to AT&T - their DataConnect 3G plan for the MiFi is $35 for 3GB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

22 of 155 (61,280 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 6:00:28 PM
0
(0)
Guru

 


archermoo wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

 

Two things:

 

1.  Admittedly, my comment was not clear, I'll clarify below.

2.  What you've quoted was from my thoughts on charging extra for tethering.

 

For my clarification, it's odd to me that AT&T would charge EXTRA to allow a phone to tether, an inbuilt feature of the phone, when all tethering does is allow data to pass through the phone to another device.  Since, with smart phones and the subject phone of the thread, the iPhone, can tether and really, it has nothing to do with any ADDITIONAL service of AT&T, I find it odd that AT&T would charge to tether.

 

For standard use (the phone acts as an 'internet modem' for a single device) tethering there is no additional load, nor any potential 'lost' revenue.  With standard tethering you have your single device, typically a laptop, accessing the internet via the phone, at best, at the maximum possible speed of the phone given the signal qualities of the location you're doing the tethering in.  With a tethered device it's not possible to go beyond the real bandwidth potential of the device, so really, there's no REAL need to charge extra as it's not costing the provider extra in any way.

 

Only when you have that device function as a 'hot spot' does it make any sense at all to charge extra.  There's a potential for 5 devices using the net via the phone, so there's a potential for 4 data accounts that AT&T isn't getting paid for.

 

I get that.  I acknowledge that AT&T would like to mitigate the potential 'loss' of that revenue (though I would argue that there's no REAL expectation that without that mobile hotspot feature that any of those 4 devices would get an AT&T data account to compensate).

 

The ONLY reason I could come up with for AT&T to justify charging for tethering at all (other than, "Just cause we can") is that non-standard tethering, and those technically savvy enough to do it, could tether to another device that would act as a hotspot.

 

The fact that originally AT&T did not grant extra monthly data when paying for tethering is what puts it up in the "greed" category.

 

Users were being forced to pay for a smartphone plan and when they wanted data they had to double their costs, but get no additional monthly data allotment.  I mean come on, that's just fececiously bad.


Except that they aren't charging extra anymore, even for using the phone as a hotspot.  You just have to pay for 4GB of data upfront instead of just 2GB.

 


Which, you'd have to admit, was very shrewd of AT&T--that way, people can't complain that they have to pay extra simply for flipping a switch to allow tethering, so to speak.  Now AT&T is effectively saying, "Here, you pay an additional X dollars up front so that you get a 4 GB allotment instead of 2 GB and we'll essentially throw in the tethering for free".

 

 


archermoo wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

 

Two things:

 

1.  Admittedly, my comment was not clear, I'll clarify below.

2.  What you've quoted was from my thoughts on charging extra for tethering.

 

For my clarification, it's odd to me that AT&T would charge EXTRA to allow a phone to tether, an inbuilt feature of the phone, when all tethering does is allow data to pass through the phone to another device.  Since, with smart phones and the subject phone of the thread, the iPhone, can tether and really, it has nothing to do with any ADDITIONAL service of AT&T, I find it odd that AT&T would charge to tether.

 

For standard use (the phone acts as an 'internet modem' for a single device) tethering there is no additional load, nor any potential 'lost' revenue.  With standard tethering you have your single device, typically a laptop, accessing the internet via the phone, at best, at the maximum possible speed of the phone given the signal qualities of the location you're doing the tethering in.  With a tethered device it's not possible to go beyond the real bandwidth potential of the device, so really, there's no REAL need to charge extra as it's not costing the provider extra in any way.

 

Only when you have that device function as a 'hot spot' does it make any sense at all to charge extra.  There's a potential for 5 devices using the net via the phone, so there's a potential for 4 data accounts that AT&T isn't getting paid for.

 

I get that.  I acknowledge that AT&T would like to mitigate the potential 'loss' of that revenue (though I would argue that there's no REAL expectation that without that mobile hotspot feature that any of those 4 devices would get an AT&T data account to compensate).

 

The ONLY reason I could come up with for AT&T to justify charging for tethering at all (other than, "Just cause we can") is that non-standard tethering, and those technically savvy enough to do it, could tether to another device that would act as a hotspot.

 

The fact that originally AT&T did not grant extra monthly data when paying for tethering is what puts it up in the "greed" category.

 

Users were being forced to pay for a smartphone plan and when they wanted data they had to double their costs, but get no additional monthly data allotment.  I mean come on, that's just fececiously bad.


Except that they aren't charging extra anymore, even for using the phone as a hotspot.  You just have to pay for 4GB of data upfront instead of just 2GB.

 


Which, you'd have to admit, was very shrewd of AT&T--that way, people can't complain that they have to pay extra simply for flipping a switch to allow tethering, so to speak.  Now AT&T is effectively saying, "Here, you pay an additional X dollars up front so that you get a 4 GB allotment instead of 2 GB and we'll essentially throw in the tethering for free".

 

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

23 of 155 (61,259 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2011 9:30:36 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

Can't you jailbreak your phone & get tethering & keep your unlimited data plan.?  I don't have my phone jailbroken but I know a friend that jailbroke his iphone but since we didn't have 3G at the time it was pointless.  I know I'm fin to get killed for saying the banned "jailbreak" word here.  If I have unlimited internet for $30 & to get tethering I have to pay $45 for 4GB.  Most people would consider jailbreaking there device not to lose the unlimited data plan I would think.  plus you can do facetime over 3G instead of just wifi. 

Can't you jailbreak your phone & get tethering & keep your unlimited data plan.?  I don't have my phone jailbroken but I know a friend that jailbroke his iphone but since we didn't have 3G at the time it was pointless.  I know I'm fin to get killed for saying the banned "jailbreak" word here.  If I have unlimited internet for $30 & to get tethering I have to pay $45 for 4GB.  Most people would consider jailbreaking there device not to lose the unlimited data plan I would think.  plus you can do facetime over 3G instead of just wifi. 

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

24 of 155 (61,240 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 1:30:48 AM
0
(0)
Mentor

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

 

Now that's funny.  You pay for 2 and 2 eat there.  Your newborn isn't eating off a plate right?  Come on be serious here...  If the kid can eat off the plate or be fed food you bet your bottom dollar you'd have to pay something.  That's the only reason why you used a newborn over someone older.

 


Actually that was the best biological/restaraunt analogy that explains tethering I've ever seen.  It makes perfect sense despite your objections.

 

Over all, I'm on the fence on this one.  AT&T can charge what they want for the services rendered, and yet, I really find it odd that AT&T would charge for a feature of the device, not something that they are doing (beyond activating a switch on the device that enables that feature).

 

As far as unlimmited data using a smart phone as a hotspot...  I can 'kind of' see not wanting to allow that occur, as allowing the device to act as a hot spot for 'free', or not charging for a device feature, could conceivably decrease potential new cellular data accounts.  Servicing MULTIPLE devices from a single device, with how the hot spot operates as I understand it, is up to 5 seperate data accounts AT&T would be missing out on, obviously a lot of money.

 

One the flip side, charging extra for tethering only ONE device, the concept I don't agree with (though again I fully acknowledge thta AT&T does have the right to charge for this non-service all they want), as the ONE device effectively shifts the data that would only be going to and processed on your phone to another device.  At no point can you exceed the maximum throughput of the smart phone so no REAL additional/excessive load can occur on the net and since it would be limited to one device, no potential loss on being able to charge for additional data accounts, so charging extra for it seems...  Well greedy.

 

The only reasonable agrument I can see for charging extra for tethering are the cases when someone tethers another device that can act as a hot spot (we're back to the extra data accounts AT&T doesn't get to charge for on those additional devices)...


 

A newborn will never at as much as his/her mother will in the same time span.  A computer CAN and OFTEN eat more than 2-3x in the same timespan as a mobile device.  It doesn't fit at all.  It's a stretch sorry, but his comparision is way off. 

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

 

Now that's funny.  You pay for 2 and 2 eat there.  Your newborn isn't eating off a plate right?  Come on be serious here...  If the kid can eat off the plate or be fed food you bet your bottom dollar you'd have to pay something.  That's the only reason why you used a newborn over someone older.

 


Actually that was the best biological/restaraunt analogy that explains tethering I've ever seen.  It makes perfect sense despite your objections.

 

Over all, I'm on the fence on this one.  AT&T can charge what they want for the services rendered, and yet, I really find it odd that AT&T would charge for a feature of the device, not something that they are doing (beyond activating a switch on the device that enables that feature).

 

As far as unlimmited data using a smart phone as a hotspot...  I can 'kind of' see not wanting to allow that occur, as allowing the device to act as a hot spot for 'free', or not charging for a device feature, could conceivably decrease potential new cellular data accounts.  Servicing MULTIPLE devices from a single device, with how the hot spot operates as I understand it, is up to 5 seperate data accounts AT&T would be missing out on, obviously a lot of money.

 

One the flip side, charging extra for tethering only ONE device, the concept I don't agree with (though again I fully acknowledge thta AT&T does have the right to charge for this non-service all they want), as the ONE device effectively shifts the data that would only be going to and processed on your phone to another device.  At no point can you exceed the maximum throughput of the smart phone so no REAL additional/excessive load can occur on the net and since it would be limited to one device, no potential loss on being able to charge for additional data accounts, so charging extra for it seems...  Well greedy.

 

The only reasonable agrument I can see for charging extra for tethering are the cases when someone tethers another device that can act as a hot spot (we're back to the extra data accounts AT&T doesn't get to charge for on those additional devices)...


 

A newborn will never at as much as his/her mother will in the same time span.  A computer CAN and OFTEN eat more than 2-3x in the same timespan as a mobile device.  It doesn't fit at all.  It's a stretch sorry, but his comparision is way off. 

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

25 of 155 (61,230 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 1:34:54 AM
0
(0)
Mentor

 


tonester wrote:

 


archermoo wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

 

Two things:

 

1.  Admittedly, my comment was not clear, I'll clarify below.

2.  What you've quoted was from my thoughts on charging extra for tethering.

 

For my clarification, it's odd to me that AT&T would charge EXTRA to allow a phone to tether, an inbuilt feature of the phone, when all tethering does is allow data to pass through the phone to another device.  Since, with smart phones and the subject phone of the thread, the iPhone, can tether and really, it has nothing to do with any ADDITIONAL service of AT&T, I find it odd that AT&T would charge to tether.

 

For standard use (the phone acts as an 'internet modem' for a single device) tethering there is no additional load, nor any potential 'lost' revenue.  With standard tethering you have your single device, typically a laptop, accessing the internet via the phone, at best, at the maximum possible speed of the phone given the signal qualities of the location you're doing the tethering in.  With a tethered device it's not possible to go beyond the real bandwidth potential of the device, so really, there's no REAL need to charge extra as it's not costing the provider extra in any way.

 

Only when you have that device function as a 'hot spot' does it make any sense at all to charge extra.  There's a potential for 5 devices using the net via the phone, so there's a potential for 4 data accounts that AT&T isn't getting paid for.

 

I get that.  I acknowledge that AT&T would like to mitigate the potential 'loss' of that revenue (though I would argue that there's no REAL expectation that without that mobile hotspot feature that any of those 4 devices would get an AT&T data account to compensate).

 

The ONLY reason I could come up with for AT&T to justify charging for tethering at all (other than, "Just cause we can") is that non-standard tethering, and those technically savvy enough to do it, could tether to another device that would act as a hotspot.

 

The fact that originally AT&T did not grant extra monthly data when paying for tethering is what puts it up in the "greed" category.

 

Users were being forced to pay for a smartphone plan and when they wanted data they had to double their costs, but get no additional monthly data allotment.  I mean come on, that's just fececiously bad.


Except that they aren't charging extra anymore, even for using the phone as a hotspot.  You just have to pay for 4GB of data upfront instead of just 2GB.

 


Which, you'd have to admit, was very shrewd of AT&T--that way, people can't complain that they have to pay extra simply for flipping a switch to allow tethering, so to speak.  Now AT&T is effectively saying, "Here, you pay an additional X dollars up front so that you get a 4 GB allotment instead of 2 GB and we'll essentially throw in the tethering for free".

 


 

Honestly I don't think it's shrewed at all...  The way people are and the way they complain about overages...  There would be a slew of people crying that they went over the 2GB cap and probably wouldn't believe how much their computer can chew through data.

 


tonester wrote:

 


archermoo wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

 

Two things:

 

1.  Admittedly, my comment was not clear, I'll clarify below.

2.  What you've quoted was from my thoughts on charging extra for tethering.

 

For my clarification, it's odd to me that AT&T would charge EXTRA to allow a phone to tether, an inbuilt feature of the phone, when all tethering does is allow data to pass through the phone to another device.  Since, with smart phones and the subject phone of the thread, the iPhone, can tether and really, it has nothing to do with any ADDITIONAL service of AT&T, I find it odd that AT&T would charge to tether.

 

For standard use (the phone acts as an 'internet modem' for a single device) tethering there is no additional load, nor any potential 'lost' revenue.  With standard tethering you have your single device, typically a laptop, accessing the internet via the phone, at best, at the maximum possible speed of the phone given the signal qualities of the location you're doing the tethering in.  With a tethered device it's not possible to go beyond the real bandwidth potential of the device, so really, there's no REAL need to charge extra as it's not costing the provider extra in any way.

 

Only when you have that device function as a 'hot spot' does it make any sense at all to charge extra.  There's a potential for 5 devices using the net via the phone, so there's a potential for 4 data accounts that AT&T isn't getting paid for.

 

I get that.  I acknowledge that AT&T would like to mitigate the potential 'loss' of that revenue (though I would argue that there's no REAL expectation that without that mobile hotspot feature that any of those 4 devices would get an AT&T data account to compensate).

 

The ONLY reason I could come up with for AT&T to justify charging for tethering at all (other than, "Just cause we can") is that non-standard tethering, and those technically savvy enough to do it, could tether to another device that would act as a hotspot.

 

The fact that originally AT&T did not grant extra monthly data when paying for tethering is what puts it up in the "greed" category.

 

Users were being forced to pay for a smartphone plan and when they wanted data they had to double their costs, but get no additional monthly data allotment.  I mean come on, that's just fececiously bad.


Except that they aren't charging extra anymore, even for using the phone as a hotspot.  You just have to pay for 4GB of data upfront instead of just 2GB.

 


Which, you'd have to admit, was very shrewd of AT&T--that way, people can't complain that they have to pay extra simply for flipping a switch to allow tethering, so to speak.  Now AT&T is effectively saying, "Here, you pay an additional X dollars up front so that you get a 4 GB allotment instead of 2 GB and we'll essentially throw in the tethering for free".

 


 

Honestly I don't think it's shrewed at all...  The way people are and the way they complain about overages...  There would be a slew of people crying that they went over the 2GB cap and probably wouldn't believe how much their computer can chew through data.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

26 of 155 (61,228 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 4:13:41 AM
0
(0)
Expert

BIGWHITE2K9 wrote:

Can't you jailbreak your phone & get tethering & keep your unlimited data plan.?  I don't have my phone jailbroken but I know a friend that jailbroke his iphone but since we didn't have 3G at the time it was pointless.  I know I'm fin to get killed for saying the banned "jailbreak" word here.  If I have unlimited internet for $30 & to get tethering I have to pay $45 for 4GB.  Most people would consider jailbreaking there device not to lose the unlimited data plan I would think.  plus you can do facetime over 3G instead of just wifi. 


technically yes, legally no - by doing that you are violating the service agreement that you have with the provider. Guess it just depends on the end user and how they feel about it, you are knowingly violating a legally binding agreement by doing it.


BIGWHITE2K9 wrote:

Can't you jailbreak your phone & get tethering & keep your unlimited data plan.?  I don't have my phone jailbroken but I know a friend that jailbroke his iphone but since we didn't have 3G at the time it was pointless.  I know I'm fin to get killed for saying the banned "jailbreak" word here.  If I have unlimited internet for $30 & to get tethering I have to pay $45 for 4GB.  Most people would consider jailbreaking there device not to lose the unlimited data plan I would think.  plus you can do facetime over 3G instead of just wifi. 


technically yes, legally no - by doing that you are violating the service agreement that you have with the provider. Guess it just depends on the end user and how they feel about it, you are knowingly violating a legally binding agreement by doing it.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

27 of 155 (61,217 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 4:15:11 AM
0
(0)
Expert

tonester wrote:

 


archermoo wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

 

Two things:

 

1.  Admittedly, my comment was not clear, I'll clarify below.

2.  What you've quoted was from my thoughts on charging extra for tethering.

 

For my clarification, it's odd to me that AT&T would charge EXTRA to allow a phone to tether, an inbuilt feature of the phone, when all tethering does is allow data to pass through the phone to another device.  Since, with smart phones and the subject phone of the thread, the iPhone, can tether and really, it has nothing to do with any ADDITIONAL service of AT&T, I find it odd that AT&T would charge to tether.

 

For standard use (the phone acts as an 'internet modem' for a single device) tethering there is no additional load, nor any potential 'lost' revenue.  With standard tethering you have your single device, typically a laptop, accessing the internet via the phone, at best, at the maximum possible speed of the phone given the signal qualities of the location you're doing the tethering in.  With a tethered device it's not possible to go beyond the real bandwidth potential of the device, so really, there's no REAL need to charge extra as it's not costing the provider extra in any way.

 

Only when you have that device function as a 'hot spot' does it make any sense at all to charge extra.  There's a potential for 5 devices using the net via the phone, so there's a potential for 4 data accounts that AT&T isn't getting paid for.

 

I get that.  I acknowledge that AT&T would like to mitigate the potential 'loss' of that revenue (though I would argue that there's no REAL expectation that without that mobile hotspot feature that any of those 4 devices would get an AT&T data account to compensate).

 

The ONLY reason I could come up with for AT&T to justify charging for tethering at all (other than, "Just cause we can") is that non-standard tethering, and those technically savvy enough to do it, could tether to another device that would act as a hotspot.

 

The fact that originally AT&T did not grant extra monthly data when paying for tethering is what puts it up in the "greed" category.

 

Users were being forced to pay for a smartphone plan and when they wanted data they had to double their costs, but get no additional monthly data allotment.  I mean come on, that's just fececiously bad.


Except that they aren't charging extra anymore, even for using the phone as a hotspot.  You just have to pay for 4GB of data upfront instead of just 2GB.

 


Which, you'd have to admit, was very shrewd of AT&T--that way, people can't complain that they have to pay extra simply for flipping a switch to allow tethering, so to speak.  Now AT&T is effectively saying, "Here, you pay an additional X dollars up front so that you get a 4 GB allotment instead of 2 GB and we'll essentially throw in the tethering for free".

 


verizon does the exact same thing - their hotspot is an additional charge and it is capped at 2GB - very shrewd of Verizon would you not agree?


tonester wrote:

 


archermoo wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

 

Two things:

 

1.  Admittedly, my comment was not clear, I'll clarify below.

2.  What you've quoted was from my thoughts on charging extra for tethering.

 

For my clarification, it's odd to me that AT&T would charge EXTRA to allow a phone to tether, an inbuilt feature of the phone, when all tethering does is allow data to pass through the phone to another device.  Since, with smart phones and the subject phone of the thread, the iPhone, can tether and really, it has nothing to do with any ADDITIONAL service of AT&T, I find it odd that AT&T would charge to tether.

 

For standard use (the phone acts as an 'internet modem' for a single device) tethering there is no additional load, nor any potential 'lost' revenue.  With standard tethering you have your single device, typically a laptop, accessing the internet via the phone, at best, at the maximum possible speed of the phone given the signal qualities of the location you're doing the tethering in.  With a tethered device it's not possible to go beyond the real bandwidth potential of the device, so really, there's no REAL need to charge extra as it's not costing the provider extra in any way.

 

Only when you have that device function as a 'hot spot' does it make any sense at all to charge extra.  There's a potential for 5 devices using the net via the phone, so there's a potential for 4 data accounts that AT&T isn't getting paid for.

 

I get that.  I acknowledge that AT&T would like to mitigate the potential 'loss' of that revenue (though I would argue that there's no REAL expectation that without that mobile hotspot feature that any of those 4 devices would get an AT&T data account to compensate).

 

The ONLY reason I could come up with for AT&T to justify charging for tethering at all (other than, "Just cause we can") is that non-standard tethering, and those technically savvy enough to do it, could tether to another device that would act as a hotspot.

 

The fact that originally AT&T did not grant extra monthly data when paying for tethering is what puts it up in the "greed" category.

 

Users were being forced to pay for a smartphone plan and when they wanted data they had to double their costs, but get no additional monthly data allotment.  I mean come on, that's just fececiously bad.


Except that they aren't charging extra anymore, even for using the phone as a hotspot.  You just have to pay for 4GB of data upfront instead of just 2GB.

 


Which, you'd have to admit, was very shrewd of AT&T--that way, people can't complain that they have to pay extra simply for flipping a switch to allow tethering, so to speak.  Now AT&T is effectively saying, "Here, you pay an additional X dollars up front so that you get a 4 GB allotment instead of 2 GB and we'll essentially throw in the tethering for free".

 


verizon does the exact same thing - their hotspot is an additional charge and it is capped at 2GB - very shrewd of Verizon would you not agree?

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

28 of 155 (61,217 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 6:06:47 AM
0
(0)
Contributor

Jailbreak it. Jail breaking is not illegally.

Jailbreak it. Jail breaking is not illegally.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

29 of 155 (61,204 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 16, 2011 6:16:30 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

 


acmo5 wrote:

Jailbreak it. Jail breaking is not illegally.


But stealing service is. So, this does nothing for you, unless you're OK with stealing.

 

 


acmo5 wrote:

Jailbreak it. Jail breaking is not illegally.


But stealing service is. So, this does nothing for you, unless you're OK with stealing.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why does tethering my iPhone 4 cost me ANYTHING?

30 of 155 (61,197 Views)
Share this post
Share this post