Helpful Links

Why does it take so long for my iPhone to backup???

Contributor

Why does it take so long for my iPhone to backup???

I have downloaded the new 3.O software on my iTunes...but then it automatically starts backing up my phone and it's taking forever! This is my second try today and earlier it said the iPhone was disconnected and couldn't continue the process (but it wasn't disconnected, I didn't touch it) and now I've been waiting for it to backup for almost 45 mins!

This is frustrating...is anyone experiencing this??

Message 1 of 18
Professor

Re: Why does it take so long for my iPhone to backup???

That's weird. It took me a long time to back up my iPhone when I installed 3.0, but 45 minutes is an abomination.

Message 2 of 18
Teacher

ameojeda wrote:

I have downloaded the new 3.O software on my iTunes...but then it automatically starts backing up my phone and it's taking forever! This is my second try today and earlier it said the iPhone was disconnected and couldn't continue the process (but it wasn't disconnected, I didn't touch it) and now I've been waiting for it to backup for almost 45 mins!

It took mine almost 3 hours to back up. The reason why is because I rarely ever sync with iTunes. It's gonna take a while if you haven't synched with iTunes for a while and as far as I know, you can't speed up the process. I would leave it running over night and things should finish up by the time you wake up...

In the future try synching once or twice a month to keep your backups fast.

Message 3 of 18
Contributor

I swear the backup is stuck at 6 bars and hasn't moved in like 30 minutes! Smiley Sad

I'm worried if I go to sleep it'll disconnect on it's own like last time...and then I have to wait until after work on Friday because I won't have time to do it tomorrow evening!! UGH!!!

Message 4 of 18

OK, I think I might have an answer.  I just "Restored" my phone to Factory settings (with 3.0).  The first backup was FAST.....once I added all my pictures and all my applications, my Backup was SLOW AS A SNAIL.  This is probably why.  If you have a lot of pictures and apps on your phone, it's going to increase the back up time.  I just looked at my backup folder and it contains over 1600 files and is over 50MB in size. Now, I know 50MB in size is not a lot, but i am sure the 1600 files are a lot to create.  That is my guess
Message 5 of 18
Professor

45 minutes is not so unusual as you might think. It happens.
Message 6 of 18
Professor

Mine was taking 4ever to backup so I just didnt backup at all...I just synced my contacts with Outlook...but I think its if u have a lot of contacts, pictures, and/or apps then then the longer it will take to backup
Message 7 of 18
Contributor

It took me 4 days and nights. then when it had almost done it said that i had dissconected it. This was after i deleted most apps. and after i downloaded 3.0 software.
Message 8 of 18
Contributor

Don't get upset ... If I don't sync my iPhone EVERYDAY, it takes at least 5-10 minutes when I do sync it; and usually nothing new is added to it (such as buying songs or purchasing apps from the app store). The last time I "Encrypt iPhone backup" it took 5-6 hours to do a whole new backup JUST SO IT COULD ADD THE PASS CODE!!!!!!!!

Right now I'm taking that pass code off and it's been 2 hours and its only just barely 1/3 done ... 

Message Edited by z.massey on 02-28-2010 01:07:11 PM
Message 9 of 18
Expert

Wow that long for a backup. Mine takes no more than 3 minutes and that is with over 50 apps and 6 mail accounts.
Message 10 of 18
Contributor

Ohh ...

I have 130 apps and about 5 or 6 accounts ....

Me and my friends use my iPhone ... Lol ...

But I'm talking about doing a fresh backup

Not the backup from when you just plug up your iPhone and "Sync" (a sync does a backup too but it updates the existing backup) 

Message 11 of 18
Contributor

if 45 mins is bad my iphone has been sitting here for almost 6 hrs i was wondering what i should do

thx

Message 12 of 18
Master

Do you have a lot of pictures on your phone?  I was having a problem with slow backups, but once I deleted all the pictures off my phone it sped up considerably.

ameojeda wrote:

Message 13 of 18
Contributor

I think, it has something to do with all the data the phone stores. When I first got my iphone, I didn't have a wireless connection, so I always downloaded applications from itunes, and updated from itunes. But, once we switched to wireless, I starteed doing all my app updates on my phone, and I used the computer to sync my phone less and less, because, once I put my music on my phone, it stays on there, I don't usually delete it, in case anything should happen to my actual itunes. But, when I do add new music, it takes forever to download all the apps to the computer and other things like that, so if that is your problem, that is prob. why.

I would suggest syncing more often, like I've been starting to do, cuts the backup time down a bit Smiley Happy

But, you CAN click the exit icon, where it says "Backing up iphone" and it'll go ahead with the rest of the sync Smiley Happy only do this..if you honestly can't wait though =P your crap needs to be updated!

Message 14 of 18
Explorer

What you should so buddy is to  connect your iPhone to iTunes but DONT SYNC IT YET, then uncheck the option for automatic sync, after that unplug the iphone and then plug it again, under devices on the left side of iTunes right click on your iPhone, click on "Reset Warnings" and click SYNC. A window should pop out that says something about your iPhone containing important info, uncheck the box and then click on show detail, a new window should appear just DELETE everything you see in there and then close it and finally click on the "Dont send to Apple" option! You will notice a BIG difference on the back up process!!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support