Wireless Forums

Posted Oct 9, 2011
8:08:46 PM
Why do MMS picture come in as movies?

My mom sent me a picture from her iPhone4.  It was received on my S2 as a movie.  What's up with that?

My mom sent me a picture from her iPhone4.  It was received on my S2 as a movie.  What's up with that?

Why do MMS picture come in as movies?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 10:13:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

TimStrader wrote:

So did a photo I took tonight and sent to my wife onto her iPhone4 with my GS2, it also had the Back/play/foward on my phone to as if it was a movie?? No clue why..

TimStrader wrote:

So did a photo I took tonight and sent to my wife onto her iPhone4 with my GS2, it also had the Back/play/foward on my phone to as if it was a movie?? No clue why..

Re: Why do MMS picture come in as movies?

2 of 11 (12,839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 12:02:55 AM
(0)
Teacher

It dirves me BONKERS that a lot of MMS come in as slideshows.  I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it.  

I have found that I like ChompSms... Handcent is also nice-- they seem to get rid of a LOT of the issues I was having (Chomp even moreso).  They are just free SMS apps you can download free from the market.  

Using chomp, I seem to only get slideshows from people using blackberries.

It dirves me BONKERS that a lot of MMS come in as slideshows.  I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it.  

I have found that I like ChompSms... Handcent is also nice-- they seem to get rid of a LOT of the issues I was having (Chomp even moreso).  They are just free SMS apps you can download free from the market.  

Using chomp, I seem to only get slideshows from people using blackberries.

3 of 11 (12,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 6:32:05 AM
(0)
Professor

TimStrader wrote:

Standard Android MMS message behavior. As others mentioned perhaps one of the third party applications from the Android Market can change it. For the stock messaging application, it is functioning normally.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :smileyhappy:

TimStrader wrote:

Standard Android MMS message behavior. As others mentioned perhaps one of the third party applications from the Android Market can change it. For the stock messaging application, it is functioning normally.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

4 of 11 (12,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 2:33:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

Ann154 wrote:

TimStrader wrote:

Functioning normally?  A picture comes in as a video and can't be saved as a picture or used as a picture and that's normal?

Between that and the inability to send video from this phone I am liking it less and less all the time.

Ann154 wrote:

TimStrader wrote:

Functioning normally?  A picture comes in as a video and can't be saved as a picture or used as a picture and that's normal?

Between that and the inability to send video from this phone I am liking it less and less all the time.

5 of 11 (12,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 3:32:31 PM
(0)
Professor

TimStrader wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

TimStrader wrote:

Slideshows from MMS picture messages can be saved as pictures.  See the Tutorial. http://www.att.com/learningcenter/tutorials.do?tutorialId=924290

As for send video through MMS, you need to set the resolution down to the smallest (MMS) level before you record in order for the file size to be small enough to send through MMS.  For my phone, it is a resolution of 176 x 144 pixels for MMS quality.

TimStrader wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

TimStrader wrote:

Slideshows from MMS picture messages can be saved as pictures.  See the Tutorial. http://www.att.com/learningcenter/tutorials.do?tutorialId=924290

As for send video through MMS, you need to set the resolution down to the smallest (MMS) level before you record in order for the file size to be small enough to send through MMS.  For my phone, it is a resolution of 176 x 144 pixels for MMS quality.

6 of 11 (12,779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 3:50:19 PM
(0)
Scholar
Anyone have problems with photos not getting through in texts message due to size.. Too large.
Anyone have problems with photos not getting through in texts message due to size.. Too large.

7 of 11 (12,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 3:58:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

Ann154 wrote:

TimStrader wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

TimStrader wrote:

Not talking about slideshows.  Pictures sent to me are coming in as a VIDEO.  Has play, pause, fast forward, rewind.  When I save them, they save to gallery as a video.  When I copy them to the computer, they are a video that plays in the video player.  They are NOT a jpg.

Smallest resolution...ok. 

What if I take a video in HD and then 2 days from now want to send it?   Can't.  What if I take a video to send but want a good copy for myself?  Can't.  Have to shoot it in junk resolution and live with it.

One thing I noticed is that the iPhone would convert a HD video and send it on the fly.  I never had to look at the crappy resolution version.

Ann154 wrote:

TimStrader wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

TimStrader wrote:

Not talking about slideshows.  Pictures sent to me are coming in as a VIDEO.  Has play, pause, fast forward, rewind.  When I save them, they save to gallery as a video.  When I copy them to the computer, they are a video that plays in the video player.  They are NOT a jpg.

What if I take a video in HD and then 2 days from now want to send it?   Can't.  What if I take a video to send but want a good copy for myself?  Can't.  Have to shoot it in junk resolution and live with it.

One thing I noticed is that the iPhone would convert a HD video and send it on the fly.  I never had to look at the crappy resolution version.

8 of 11 (12,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 4:10:21 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Ann154 on Oct 10, 2011 at 4:11:10 PM

TimStrader wrote:

Not talking about slideshows.  Pictures sent to me are coming in as a VIDEO.  Has play, pause, fast forward, rewind.  When I save them, they save to gallery as a video.  When I copy them to the computer, they are a video that plays in the video player.  They are NOT a jpg.  It might be an iphone thing.  I have never had a picture come from another android phone received as a Video.  I don't have a iphone to test with.

What if I take a video in HD and then 2 days from now want to send it?   Can't.  What if I take a video to send but want a good copy for myself?  Can't.  Have to shoot it in junk resolution and live with it.  Email?

One thing I noticed is that the iPhone would convert a HD video and send it on the fly.  I never had to look at the crappy resolution version.  Looks like at least for my android phone there isn't way to convert even a 7 second (2.65 MB) video recorded in high quality down to a size small enough for sending via MMS.  Perhaps there is an application in the Android Market that will reduce the size.

TimStrader wrote:

Not talking about slideshows.  Pictures sent to me are coming in as a VIDEO.  Has play, pause, fast forward, rewind.  When I save them, they save to gallery as a video.  When I copy them to the computer, they are a video that plays in the video player.  They are NOT a jpg.  It might be an iphone thing.  I have never had a picture come from another android phone received as a Video.  I don't have a iphone to test with.

What if I take a video in HD and then 2 days from now want to send it?   Can't.  What if I take a video to send but want a good copy for myself?  Can't.  Have to shoot it in junk resolution and live with it.  Email?

One thing I noticed is that the iPhone would convert a HD video and send it on the fly.  I never had to look at the crappy resolution version.  Looks like at least for my android phone there isn't way to convert even a 7 second (2.65 MB) video recorded in high quality down to a size small enough for sending via MMS.  Perhaps there is an application in the Android Market that will reduce the size.

[ Edited ]
9 of 11 (12,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 4:27:14 PM
(0)
Mentor

Ann154 wrote:
 Looks like at least for my android phone there isn't way to convert even a 7 second (2.65 MB) video recorded in high quality down to a size small enough for sending via MMS.  Perhaps there is an application in the Android Market that will reduce the size.

I have not been able to find anything.  Especially to be able to do it on the fly. 

Ann154 wrote:
 Looks like at least for my android phone there isn't way to convert even a 7 second (2.65 MB) video recorded in high quality down to a size small enough for sending via MMS.  Perhaps there is an application in the Android Market that will reduce the size.

I have not been able to find anything.  Especially to be able to do it on the fly. 

10 of 11 (12,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2011 2:51:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
My Captivate does this... I never really figured out why and I still wonder to this very day. Sometimes the picture shows up in the received message larger than it does when I actually tap it... I seem to notice this with Sprint customers in particular.

Very odd, I agree.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

My Captivate does this... I never really figured out why and I still wonder to this very day. Sometimes the picture shows up in the received message larger than it does when I actually tap it... I seem to notice this with Sprint customers in particular.

Very odd, I agree.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 11 (12,375 Views)