Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 11, 2011
4:06:53 PM
Why do I have to call ATT when I want to swap back and forth between my two phones?
I have an iPhone 4 and an unlocked Dell streak and would like to swap back and forth between the two phones. I was told by a CS rep that data plans are now the same for all smartphones, ie the iPhone data plan is no longer 'special'. So why would I have to call ATT when I want to swap the SIM from one phone to the other? It certainly doesn't work that way for the rest of the world.
I have an iPhone 4 and an unlocked Dell streak and would like to swap back and forth between the two phones. I was told by a CS rep that data plans are now the same for all smartphones, ie the iPhone data plan is no longer 'special'. So why would I have to call ATT when I want to swap the SIM from one phone to the other? It certainly doesn't work that way for the rest of the world.

Why do I have to call ATT when I want to swap back and forth between my two phones?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2011 4:12:52 PM
(0)
Professor

Can you clarify why you feel that you have to call anytime you want to switch phones?  I can't determine if the data plan or the SIM card is causing the problem.

I switch between an iPhone 4 and two unlocked Android phones on AT&T, and don't call AT&T to tell them that I am doing it.

Can you clarify why you feel that you have to call anytime you want to switch phones?  I can't determine if the data plan or the SIM card is causing the problem.

I switch between an iPhone 4 and two unlocked Android phones on AT&T, and don't call AT&T to tell them that I am doing it.

Re: Why do I have to call ATT when I want to swap back and forth between my two phones?

2 of 5 (486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2011 4:15:27 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by meradoll on Apr 11, 2011 at 4:19:03 PM

Because there are "technically" 4 different data plans.... iphone data plan, blackberry data plan, smartphone data plan, and 4G data plans....They all cost the same and do the same things, however depending on the device, it may not be compatible. As the iphones have a data plan mostly because of the visual voicemail capability. Blackberrys have their own-some blackberrys can have visual voicemail as others cannot, and smartphones....are pretty much anything else. Except for the new 4G phones which have their own too....the systems just do not pick up on which phone you are using >.<

OR if it deals with the SIM card, for example, if it is like an iphone 4 with a micro sim and i believe the dell streak has the regular SIMs, you would need a new SIM each time you changed.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Because there are "technically" 4 different data plans.... iphone data plan, blackberry data plan, smartphone data plan, and 4G data plans....They all cost the same and do the same things, however depending on the device, it may not be compatible. As the iphones have a data plan mostly because of the visual voicemail capability. Blackberrys have their own-some blackberrys can have visual voicemail as others cannot, and smartphones....are pretty much anything else. Except for the new 4G phones which have their own too....the systems just do not pick up on which phone you are using >.<

OR if it deals with the SIM card, for example, if it is like an iphone 4 with a micro sim and i believe the dell streak has the regular SIMs, you would need a new SIM each time you changed.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Re: Why do I have to call ATT when I want to swap back and forth between my two phones?

[ Edited ]
3 of 5 (485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2011 5:01:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

The SIM is not an issue as I have an adapter to get the iphone SIM to fit in the streak. I was in the store last week and and asked and was told that I would need to call and give them the IMEI for the Streak. guess I will try it and see what happens.

The SIM is not an issue as I have an adapter to get the iphone SIM to fit in the streak. I was in the store last week and and asked and was told that I would need to call and give them the IMEI for the Streak. guess I will try it and see what happens.

4 of 5 (472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2011 7:37:30 PM
(0)
Professor

Yes, let us know how it goes.  What Meradoll said is true, that the different phones communicate with the towers differently.  I didn't try to watch video on the Android phones when I was using them, so I don't know if data intensive activity would have been negatively affected.  I accessed email, Twitter and other web browsing and had no problems. My push notifications were just as fast as they are at any other time.

Yes, let us know how it goes.  What Meradoll said is true, that the different phones communicate with the towers differently.  I didn't try to watch video on the Android phones when I was using them, so I don't know if data intensive activity would have been negatively affected.  I accessed email, Twitter and other web browsing and had no problems. My push notifications were just as fast as they are at any other time.

5 of 5 (446 Views)