Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 3, 2011
7:01:43 PM
View profile
Why can't I add an iphone4 to my account without a data plan?

I think it is at&t extortion. I've been with AT&T with a  family plan for over 5 yrs. I'd a basic voice plan without data for both my lines. I got an iphone4 from a friend of mine then I called AT&T to add it to one of my lines. 
It was a nightmare trying to talk to 2 robotically sounding reps. and their manager who all sings to the same rule book that someone at the top made for them so they can extort money for unwanted services. I know for a fact that this line that belongs to my son will not need a data plan until he has a "real"'need for it. At&t sounds sympathetic when saying "i understand sir", no you don't. 

This is akin to moving into a rental house with a dish antenna on the roof and the dish company forcing you to get their programming so that I'm qualified to live there?!!! This sounds borderline illegal.

I know I am not the first one venting about this since this "rule"'went into effect in 2009 but consumers should have a choice to pick the services they want and not be forced into unnecessary things.

I know no one will listen or care.

I think it is at&t extortion. I've been with AT&T with a  family plan for over 5 yrs. I'd a basic voice plan without data for both my lines. I got an iphone4 from a friend of mine then I called AT&T to add it to one of my lines. 
It was a nightmare trying to talk to 2 robotically sounding reps. and their manager who all sings to the same rule book that someone at the top made for them so they can extort money for unwanted services. I know for a fact that this line that belongs to my son will not need a data plan until he has a "real"'need for it. At&t sounds sympathetic when saying "i understand sir", no you don't. 

This is akin to moving into a rental house with a dish antenna on the roof and the dish company forcing you to get their programming so that I'm qualified to live there?!!! This sounds borderline illegal.

I know I am not the first one venting about this since this "rule"'went into effect in 2009 but consumers should have a choice to pick the services they want and not be forced into unnecessary things.

Why can't I add an iphone4 to my account without a data plan?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2011 4:51:04 AM
(0)
Expert

kk-123 wrote:

Iphones have NEVER been able to be added to a account without a data plan, this goes back to the first ne that was placed on the market - want premium capabilities, expect to pay for them.

kk-123 wrote:

Iphones have NEVER been able to be added to a account without a data plan, this goes back to the first ne that was placed on the market - want premium capabilities, expect to pay for them.

Re: Why can't I add an iphone4 to my account without a data plan?

2 of 9 (957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2011 5:32:02 AM
(0)
Professor

kk-123 wrote:

Then why bother posting?

Per the Terms of Service, the iPhone has always required a data plan.  By signing up for and continuing to pay for sevice, you have agreed to the terms of service.

If you do not like it or do not agree with the terms of service, find a provider that offers the service you want with conditions you agree with.  This is not difficult or complicated.

kk-123 wrote:

Then why bother posting?

Per the Terms of Service, the iPhone has always required a data plan.  By signing up for and continuing to pay for sevice, you have agreed to the terms of service.

If you do not like it or do not agree with the terms of service, find a provider that offers the service you want with conditions you agree with.  This is not difficult or complicated.

3 of 9 (947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2011 6:55:12 PM
(0)
Master

kk-123 wrote:

You do have a choice.  The iPhone uses data and it is very difficult to have it not use data on the cellular network.  To truly use the iPhone, you do need data and if you did not get a data plan, your next post would be about the exorbitant rates you are paying for ad-hoc data.  If you do not like the policy and terms that you agree to when you activate the iPhone, CHOOSE to use a different phone that does not require a data plan 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

kk-123 wrote:

You do have a choice.  The iPhone uses data and it is very difficult to have it not use data on the cellular network.  To truly use the iPhone, you do need data and if you did not get a data plan, your next post would be about the exorbitant rates you are paying for ad-hoc data.  If you do not like the policy and terms that you agree to when you activate the iPhone, CHOOSE to use a different phone that does not require a data plan 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

4 of 9 (901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2011 8:08:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

Same old story. I want my phone unlocked, I don't need a data plan, tethering is a rip-off, etc., etc., etc. Whenever someone decides that they don't like the Terms of Service, AT&T is a heartless monopoly, a money-grubbing corporate monster, or  a large corporation that is grinding us under their heel.

Grow up people. These are the Terms of Service. Go elsewhere if you don't like it, but I don't think you will find things much different elsewhere. 

Same old story. I want my phone unlocked, I don't need a data plan, tethering is a rip-off, etc., etc., etc. Whenever someone decides that they don't like the Terms of Service, AT&T is a heartless monopoly, a money-grubbing corporate monster, or  a large corporation that is grinding us under their heel.

Grow up people. These are the Terms of Service. Go elsewhere if you don't like it, but I don't think you will find things much different elsewhere. 

5 of 9 (892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2011 1:28:06 AM
(0)
Employee
iPhone with no data? buy an iPod touch.
iPhone with no data? buy an iPod touch.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 9 (874 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2011 6:43:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

kk-123 wrote:
consumers should have a choice to pick the services they want and not be forced into unnecessary things.

No one is ever forced to buy an iPhone. Ever. That's your choice.

kk-123 wrote:
consumers should have a choice to pick the services they want and not be forced into unnecessary things.

No one is ever forced to buy an iPhone. Ever. That's your choice.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 9 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2011 3:36:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

kk-123 wrote:

Sorry but I don't think you'll get much sympathy from your posting. People like you are why much of our economy is the way it is. Let me put it in your words--"akin to someone buying a house (or getting into debt) without knowing what they were getting in to." You're probably one of those people who never researches (can you spell Internet) what they purchase or expects to get everything on their terms even if it has been spelled our for them before. You just chose to ignore it and come to sites like this to complain. You should try taking responsibility for your own actions and not blame others for your ignorance.

kk-123 wrote:

Sorry but I don't think you'll get much sympathy from your posting. People like you are why much of our economy is the way it is. Let me put it in your words--"akin to someone buying a house (or getting into debt) without knowing what they were getting in to." You're probably one of those people who never researches (can you spell Internet) what they purchase or expects to get everything on their terms even if it has been spelled our for them before. You just chose to ignore it and come to sites like this to complain. You should try taking responsibility for your own actions and not blame others for your ignorance.

8 of 9 (790 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2011 9:29:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

Oh boy! My intention of this post was not to start a proxy war with the company minions led by gara56. I think I should give Kudos to most everyone that responded, but particularly gara56 for being tenaciously loyal. 

I am not looking for sympathy. I was merely expressing my views similar to what you did which I believe everyone in this country has the right to do. I've been with them since 2001 and I'm familiar with the Terms and Conditions which the company renewed in 2009. I honestly don't recall ever signing a renewed contract since I've been a month-to-month customer since 2004. I know I've choices out there and I'll pick one at a later time by following everyone's advice.

And by the way, I eventually did sign up for a 2GB data plan. I've 2 other iPhone-4s in the plan with 2GB data plans and I'm quite happy with it.

[AT&T moderator : feel free to delete from here onwards]
From what it sounds like, you are a frustrated individual who have been trawling this forum with a posting count of 61 since 2008 which is suspiciously close to when all the layoffs ramped up! Calm down, everything will be OK, go do something productive rather than attacking people on forums. 

I've been a home owner since 1996 in a part of the country and neighborhood where there was no mortgage meltdown or any significant effects of the recession. Don't blame me for the problems in your neck of the woods as I've already paid off my house with the prudent use of my money and I've no debt. I'm a software architect at a company which is a leading data center provider for the Cloud and develops software to automate everything for it. Do you know how Amazon's EC2 works internally? Unlike you, Internet is spelled 'k.a…c.h.i.ng' for me.
[end AT&T moderator ]

My sincere apologies to the rest of the forum readers for this grotesque digression. I rest my case. I am not interested in any more of your opinions on this matter and I'll not respond to any of your questions on anything I wrote.

Oh boy! My intention of this post was not to start a proxy war with the company minions led by gara56. I think I should give Kudos to most everyone that responded, but particularly gara56 for being tenaciously loyal. 

I am not looking for sympathy. I was merely expressing my views similar to what you did which I believe everyone in this country has the right to do. I've been with them since 2001 and I'm familiar with the Terms and Conditions which the company renewed in 2009. I honestly don't recall ever signing a renewed contract since I've been a month-to-month customer since 2004. I know I've choices out there and I'll pick one at a later time by following everyone's advice.

And by the way, I eventually did sign up for a 2GB data plan. I've 2 other iPhone-4s in the plan with 2GB data plans and I'm quite happy with it.

[AT&T moderator : feel free to delete from here onwards]
From what it sounds like, you are a frustrated individual who have been trawling this forum with a posting count of 61 since 2008 which is suspiciously close to when all the layoffs ramped up! Calm down, everything will be OK, go do something productive rather than attacking people on forums. 

I've been a home owner since 1996 in a part of the country and neighborhood where there was no mortgage meltdown or any significant effects of the recession. Don't blame me for the problems in your neck of the woods as I've already paid off my house with the prudent use of my money and I've no debt. I'm a software architect at a company which is a leading data center provider for the Cloud and develops software to automate everything for it. Do you know how Amazon's EC2 works internally? Unlike you, Internet is spelled 'k.a…c.h.i.ng' for me.
[end AT&T moderator ]

My sincere apologies to the rest of the forum readers for this grotesque digression. I rest my case. I am not interested in any more of your opinions on this matter and I'll not respond to any of your questions on anything I wrote.

9 of 9 (721 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments