Helpful Links

Why are there soo many Captivates on craigslist?

Scholar

Why are there soo many Captivates on craigslist?

Just wondering.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 10
Explorer

Re: Why are there soo many Captivates on craigslist?

Mostly because of people looking to use the money to pay their etf and switch companies. Some of the earlier production runs had a shut down issue, plus they all have gps issues...plus people are tired of waiting for an official update, but don't want to put a leaked or unofficial rom on their phones...
Message 2 of 10
Master

Because ppl are fed up with Samsung's inability to fix multitude of the known issues (GPS issue, Shutdown issue, lag and various other minor issues) and most impotantly the lack of timely release of Froyo update.

Message 3 of 10
Scholar

How much is the etf?

Message 4 of 10
Explorer

Not sure...I got my captivate as a warranty replacement after my backflip died...then got out of my contract due to a video problem (that no one talks about). At one point, it was 175 a line. Just an aside, though, youa can get the phone for almost nothing from a couple different places and enjoy it. Just test the GPS (if that's important to you) before your 30 days are up. That way if it doesn't work for you, you can get out w/out paying an etf. There are ways to fix almost every other problem on the phone either through the market or XDA. The thing that no one mentions when they bash this phone is that there isn't a perfect alternative.
Message 5 of 10
Expert

wvmstr wrote:

How much is the etf?

325.00 proratred over the life of the contract

Message 6 of 10
Mentor

I will say if the GPS is not fixed soon, I might wait 2 or 3 months and hop on with Big Red for an LTE 4g phone.   A friend of mine broke down and rooted his phone.   It fixed thier GPS by using a rom called Phoenix its based on the Galaxy S official Froyo build....  It seems to work great and he had no att crud on it.   

I'm told it takes 10 minutes to root.   I'd root my phone but I dont want to break anything/ loose my warrenty on a phone that has known issues. I just hope Samsung and ATT get in the game and fix the phone. 

Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Tutor

skahead wrote:

I will say if the GPS is not fixed soon, I might wait 2 or 3 months and hop on with Big Red for an LTE 4g phone.   A friend of mine broke down and rooted his phone.   It fixed thier GPS by using a rom called Phoenix its based on the Galaxy S official Froyo build....  It seems to work great and he had no att crud on it.   

I'm told it takes 10 minutes to root.   I'd root my phone but I dont want to break anything/ loose my warrenty on a phone that has known issues. I just hope Samsung and ATT get in the game and fix the phone. 

The GPS has aleady been fixed, only they don't tell you it requires the update they rolled out months ago THEN download Samsung GPSRestore from the market, let it run with a view of the sky to get a good lock once and you will get a nice quick lockon for, well so far months for me.

Message 8 of 10
Tutor

I used the GPSRestore and I have seen some improvements but it is still unreliable.  Constantly trying to connect or dropping.   I have an unlocked myTouch 3g from when I was on TMO.  I used it for a few days and not once did I have a GPS issue so it's not ATT but the Samsung phone.

Message 9 of 10
Mentor

I've tried all that... I get a 7 minute lock at best... and then it drops when i drive a block down the road.    I'm told they will have a true fix by the time Froyo is released.... but GB and HC will be out by then.

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support