Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 26, 2011
6:44:06 AM
View profile
Why am I going over on my iPhone data plan

I have an iPhone 3Gs with an unlimited data plan.  I recently gave my wife an iPhone 4 and added her on, upgrading my account to a family plan in the process.  I believe I should still have unlimited data (that's what it says on my account page, and what the rep told me on the phone), and my wife has the limited 2GB plan.  But even though she barely uses 3G on her phone, she keeps going over each month.  Why is this?  Does e-mail count when it comes to data?

I have an iPhone 3Gs with an unlimited data plan.  I recently gave my wife an iPhone 4 and added her on, upgrading my account to a family plan in the process.  I believe I should still have unlimited data (that's what it says on my account page, and what the rep told me on the phone), and my wife has the limited 2GB plan.  But even though she barely uses 3G on her phone, she keeps going over each month.  Why is this?  Does e-mail count when it comes to data?

Why am I going over on my iPhone data plan

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 6:45:25 AM
(0)
Mentor

Yeah email counts for data.

Yeah email counts for data.

Re: Why am I going over on my iPhone data plan

2 of 12 (11,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 6:56:06 AM
(0)
Master

Virtually EVERYTHING you do on the phone - web surfing, Facebooking, Twittering, emailing - counts against your data allotment.  Social networking sites can pull a lot of data, especially if they're not closed down.

You still have the unlimited plan, but unfortunately you can't add any more unlimited plans to your account.  So if you & your wife had a child who was old enough to have a phone, you couldn't get unlimited data for him or her.

Virtually EVERYTHING you do on the phone - web surfing, Facebooking, Twittering, emailing - counts against your data allotment.  Social networking sites can pull a lot of data, especially if they're not closed down.

You still have the unlimited plan, but unfortunately you can't add any more unlimited plans to your account.  So if you & your wife had a child who was old enough to have a phone, you couldn't get unlimited data for him or her.

3 of 12 (11,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 7:45:40 AM
(0)
Professor
YOU had the unlimited plan. When you added her, she got her own data plan and unlimited was no longer available.
YOU had the unlimited plan. When you added her, she got her own data plan and unlimited was no longer available.

4 of 12 (11,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 7:56:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

What is she doing? Watching streaming video over 3G? Receiving 100MB attachments in email? Can you categorize her use? Do you have wifi at home? Is she using wifi when at home?

What is she doing? Watching streaming video over 3G? Receiving 100MB attachments in email? Can you categorize her use? Do you have wifi at home? Is she using wifi when at home?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 12 (10,985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2011 9:19:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Yes, please clarify what you mean by she barely uses 3G on her phone.  Does she use Wi-Fi or Edge for data?  If Wi-Fi, be aware that the Wi-Fi radio on the phone turns off when the phone is asleep.  If Edge, that data still counts against the data plan.

Yes, please clarify what you mean by she barely uses 3G on her phone.  Does she use Wi-Fi or Edge for data?  If Wi-Fi, be aware that the Wi-Fi radio on the phone turns off when the phone is asleep.  If Edge, that data still counts against the data plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 12 (10,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 5:47:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

She always has the wi-fi turned on; and she hardly ever uses her phone for apps, Safari, etc.  But is that right: when the phone is asleep, it switches back to Edge, so if she gets a new e-mail, that counts as a data transfer?  That's really ridiculous on AT&T's part.

I also just discovered that every text message sent and received counts as data.  This is not what I was told over the phone, and is also ridiculous, considering that I'm already paying AT&T for a text messaging plan.  I'm pretty incensed about this.

She always has the wi-fi turned on; and she hardly ever uses her phone for apps, Safari, etc.  But is that right: when the phone is asleep, it switches back to Edge, so if she gets a new e-mail, that counts as a data transfer?  That's really ridiculous on AT&T's part.

I also just discovered that every text message sent and received counts as data.  This is not what I was told over the phone, and is also ridiculous, considering that I'm already paying AT&T for a text messaging plan.  I'm pretty incensed about this.

7 of 12 (10,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 6:11:54 AM
(0)
Professor

GideonB wrote:

When asleep, the iPhone reverts from Wi-Fi to the cellular data network.  This is how Appled designed iOS to work.

GideonB wrote:

Whomever told you text count as data does not know what they are talking about.

Texts count as text.

MMS counts as text.

If you turn off the cellular data connection, text messages will still go through.  MMS messages will not as they require the data connection to send the attached file.

GideonB wrote:

When asleep, the iPhone reverts from Wi-Fi to the cellular data network.  This is how Appled designed iOS to work.

GideonB wrote:

Whomever told you text count as data does not know what they are talking about.

Texts count as text.

MMS counts as text.

If you turn off the cellular data connection, text messages will still go through.  MMS messages will not as they require the data connection to send the attached file.

8 of 12 (10,845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 2:22:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

GideonB wrote:

LOL how is the bad on AT&T's part??I dont get it, every carrier works this way with everyphone, what are you're emails supposed to magically appear from thin air...

See folks, porblem is, most folks who complain alot, are usually not the sharpest when it comes to phone tech, it's pretty simple....

GideonB wrote:

LOL how is the bad on AT&T's part??I dont get it, every carrier works this way with everyphone, what are you're emails supposed to magically appear from thin air...

See folks, porblem is, most folks who complain alot, are usually not the sharpest when it comes to phone tech, it's pretty simple....

9 of 12 (10,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 2:51:04 PM
(0)
Professor

GideonB wrote:

If she is going over on the 2GB, that is a lot of data. Social networking is not going to get her no where close to the 2GB. Email will only get her there if she is constantly emailing with large attachments, like high resolution pictures. Texting and MMS don't count towards the data. Downloading from the market will add pretty quickly, but she would have to be doing plenty of downloading. Her wi-fi shutting down to where apps running in the background continue to use data would certainly add up, but still shouldn't come close to eating up that kind of data. Really, the thing that would use that much data in a months time is streaming, like video from you tube or even music. You need to get down to the nitty gritty of her usage and find out if she is doing any of that or what else she might be using data for. It could be a combination of all of the above. 

GideonB wrote:

If she is going over on the 2GB, that is a lot of data. Social networking is not going to get her no where close to the 2GB. Email will only get her there if she is constantly emailing with large attachments, like high resolution pictures. Texting and MMS don't count towards the data. Downloading from the market will add pretty quickly, but she would have to be doing plenty of downloading. Her wi-fi shutting down to where apps running in the background continue to use data would certainly add up, but still shouldn't come close to eating up that kind of data. Really, the thing that would use that much data in a months time is streaming, like video from you tube or even music. You need to get down to the nitty gritty of her usage and find out if she is doing any of that or what else she might be using data for. It could be a combination of all of the above. 

10 of 12 (10,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 5:50:58 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jan 28, 2011 at 5:53:17 AM
  • EMail (Text and HTML with Pics) (PUSH uses minutely data pulling versus setting to hourly or manual)
  • Surfing the web
  • Radio Applications - Air streaming audio uses a few megabytes every hour
  • Navigation (Nav apps less than 10MB are databased maps) (data on traffic)
  • Social Networking - Instant Messenger pulls alot of data, FaceBook and variants pull data
  • Weather
  • Push Notifications - Disable any apps you are not going to use on push notifications as these pull enormous amounts
  • SMS (MMS based data)
  • Voicemail - Visual Voicemail is a data puller
  • Last but not least - SKYPE and FLING are video calling
  • EMail (Text and HTML with Pics) (PUSH uses minutely data pulling versus setting to hourly or manual)
  • Surfing the web
  • Radio Applications - Air streaming audio uses a few megabytes every hour
  • Navigation (Nav apps less than 10MB are databased maps) (data on traffic)
  • Social Networking - Instant Messenger pulls alot of data, FaceBook and variants pull data
  • Weather
  • Push Notifications - Disable any apps you are not going to use on push notifications as these pull enormous amounts
  • SMS (MMS based data)
  • Voicemail - Visual Voicemail is a data puller
  • Last but not least - SKYPE and FLING are video calling

[ Edited ]
11 of 12 (8,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 6:05:51 AM
(0)
Professor
SMS or MMS won't count against the data plan.
SMS or MMS won't count against the data plan.

12 of 12 (8,362 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments