Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 2, 2012
8:35:42 AM
View profile
Why a security deposit for Wireless?

I've been an AT&T customer for almost 3 years, and have been in good standing. I have all of the U-Verse services and was looking to end my service with Verizon Wireless and come to AT&T. I called in to customer service yesterday and was told that I need a security deposit of $500 per line! I paid a deposit upfront for Verizon of $400. I've had numerous friends that have left Verizon and came to AT&T and they didnt have to pay a deposit at all and initially they had to pay one for Verizon. I would think that they could go off of my previous billing history through my existing services (U-verse). If I am able to bundle everything I don't see why they couldn't pull billing info from my existing services. The deposit isnt the issue, If it was like $150 I'd be ok with it. But $500 per line? All I'm trying to do is get a phone, not a piece of the company.

I've been an AT&T customer for almost 3 years, and have been in good standing. I have all of the U-Verse services and was looking to end my service with Verizon Wireless and come to AT&T. I called in to customer service yesterday and was told that I need a security deposit of $500 per line! I paid a deposit upfront for Verizon of $400. I've had numerous friends that have left Verizon and came to AT&T and they didnt have to pay a deposit at all and initially they had to pay one for Verizon. I would think that they could go off of my previous billing history through my existing services (U-verse). If I am able to bundle everything I don't see why they couldn't pull billing info from my existing services. The deposit isnt the issue, If it was like $150 I'd be ok with it. But $500 per line? All I'm trying to do is get a phone, not a piece of the company.

Why a security deposit for Wireless?

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2012 7:08:18 PM
(0)
Guru

The deposit is based on your credit. Your friends that switched to AT&T must not have had anything come up on their credit evaluation. The deposit is refunded back after 1 year of service with no non pay suspends, and will be fully refunded back as long as you dont have a late payment on the date of the refund.

Another thing is you might want to try stopping by a store and see if the store manager can override the deposit, I've heard of some people trying that and being succesfull.

Good luck!

The deposit is based on your credit. Your friends that switched to AT&T must not have had anything come up on their credit evaluation. The deposit is refunded back after 1 year of service with no non pay suspends, and will be fully refunded back as long as you dont have a late payment on the date of the refund.

Another thing is you might want to try stopping by a store and see if the store manager can override the deposit, I've heard of some people trying that and being succesfull.

Good luck!

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Re: Why a security deposit for Wireless?

2 of 2 (1,404 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments