Helpful Links

Why No New HTC Products on AT&T?

Professor

Why No New HTC Products on AT&T?

Is there a reason we dont see as many new HTC products coming to AT&T? I think their products are better than samsung. Even the look/feel seem to be more solid to me.

Is there a rift between AT&T and HTC these days?

Message 1 of 20
Master

Re: Why No New HTC Products on AT&T?

HTC only makes Smartphones. There is no new Samsung Smartphone either. The biggest reason is AT&T don't want any nice Smartphone to dilute iPhone sales.

Message 2 of 20
Professor

"The biggest reason is AT&T don't want any nice Smartphone to dilute iPhone sales."

hmmm. that does make sense.  lets hope we start seeing more smartphones show up when the iphone goes to other carriers and its not such a primarymoney-maker for ATT anymore.

Message 3 of 20
Master

Reportedly, the iPhone exclusive deal goes for two more years.

RicoLX wrote:

hmmm. that does make sense.  lets hope we start seeing more smartphones show up when the iphone goes to other carriers and its not such a primarymoney-maker for ATT anymore.

Message 4 of 20
Scholar

It all boils down to AT&T/Apple's relationship, and no one knows for sure that said relationship will come to an end this year... As far as the public knows the contract between them still has a few years left in it, but there's plenty of provisions under which either company could be free to break it. Won't you join us in beating the dead horse tho? 73 pages and counting, you'd think someone, at some point, would take notice of such an enormous thread even if these boards aren't exactly meant to provide AT&T our feedback (yet FB is? seriously? sigh). Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 20
Guru

One word: Apple.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 20

Virtual wrote:

One word: Apple.

I agree with the above statement.

On a side note, though, it's kinda like a necessary evil. I mean, despite it's overated status, the iPhone continues to stand out more in people's minds. And who wouldn't head to the nearest Wal-Mart to buy the 3GS version for under $100?! 

I'm sure that in the weeks to come, there will be so much hype & talk about Apple's next iPhone that anything remotely related to another device will seem like small talk. That's why AT&T wants to hold on to the product. To them it means being King of Hill and reaping all the benefits... Unfortunately, for AT&T customers, having the brand is either a blessing or a malediction.

Message 7 of 20
Professor

numba1droidfan wrote:
And who wouldn't head to the nearest Wal-Mart to buy the 3GS version for under $100?! 

I for one, wouldn't.  I hate the iPhone's closed architicture.  And even if I did like the iPhone, I wouldn't buy last years model, when the new one is coming out this month.

Message 8 of 20
Contributor

yeah this is starting to get old. I want a new phone but my cell provider (at&t) cant seem to provide anything but iphones. I have to sit back and watch all the other providers bring in all the htc phones I cant get...may be time for a switch very soon if things don't change but im trying to give them a chance.

Message 9 of 20
Professor

I stopped looking up phonedog.com, engadget, etc so I would stop drooling over the many phone releases by the other carriers. really hate it when I don't see AT&T branded phones among them. I sure hope some real surprizes ard coming our way. backflip was NOT a phone to pacify us.

Message 10 of 20
Master

All the other carriers  try so hard to find ONE phone that can beat iPhone on AT&T. None succeeded so far. I'm not talking about success in the eye of customers but in the point view of carriers that one single phone model can attract millions and millions of subscribers in very short time. Obviously this worked out very well for AT&T as long as there are millions and millions of {} out there who are willing to buy anything Steve Jobs puts out in a heart beat.

What's the point for AT&T to put out any fancy new Smartphone and spend millions of $$ to field testing and train its employees that end up only sell way short of a million handsets, with even less of new subscribers? The number of ppl that left AT&T due to the lack of non-iPhone offerings is obviously far less than the number of new iPhone subscribers every month.

Unfortunately, I have many reasons that I have to stay with AT&T (I need GSM phones for international traveling but t-Mo coverage is just not there for me).

Message 11 of 20
Contributor

Saw on Engadget there is a potential new HTC device but no real signs of when. Here is a link to the rumored device. http://www.engadget.com/tag/mondrian

Message 12 of 20
Scholar

The Mondarian or Mondrian or whatever will be a Win Phone 7 device, not an Android device. The name surfaced during the original Win7 conferences and has been touted as a Q4/W7 device ever since, along w/that other W7 phone that Dell leaked for Q4.

They're both high end devices and will probably go head to head then since they're both apparently coming to AT&T, then again they might just be GSM devices destined elsewhere like most other high-end GSM phones over the last few months. I think Dell did say they'd sell it unlocked th... Like the Streak pseudo tablet/phone.

Message 13 of 20
Professor

Impulse: Is the Mondarian an HTC device? Yep, I am a Windows Mobile person myself. The androidseem to be geared for social networking, where I need something that's still business oriented.

Message 14 of 20
Scholar

Yes it's an HTC device, I know the title of the thread is technically "HTC Products", just putting that out there anyway to clear any possible confusion. WP7 details are still pretty scarce... I dunno where you're getting this idea that Android is geared towards social networking tho, some manufacturer skins for Android devices focus on that but it's hardly the OS' focus...

If aything, at it's core, Android today is more like WM6.5 ever was than what we've seen of WP7 which will be a lot more like Apple's OS (a lot less customizable, more locked down, central marketplace w/no side loading of apps, etc.). The iPhone wasn't particulary business-centric when it launched either and it does quite well in that realm now...

All you really need to be considered a business class device is decent security (and the iPhone's hardly the epitome of that) and Exchange sync support, imo... HTC Android devices can sync up w/Exchange mail servers just fine, FWIW. I'll get off the Android soapbox now, but Android's carrying the spirit of WM of old a lot prouder than WP7 is, that's for sure...

Unless they've changed their stance on the matter, WP7's first iteration won't even have copy/paste, I won't bother drawing the analogy to early iPhones because even Apple changed course there. I think they need to re-think a lot of the limitations they've imposed on WP7's first release ('specially w/OS4 & Froyo coming out mid-year), either that or just push it back to 2011 and continue building on it.

Message 15 of 20
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support